Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 15:34   #1

What are you using for domestic water pump

My fresh water pump is on the way out. 3rd one in 2 years. Current one was even made in America. What is everybody using and is reliable?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 15:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: What are you using for domestic water pump

Follow
svninkasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 15:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Most reliable are likely the diaphragm pumps, the belt driven ones, trying to remember the name, Jabsco maybe? However not enough flow for us, and it was a pulsating flow of course.
I’m using a Shurflo Aqua King, it’s weak link is the switch that turns it on, installing a automotive relay I hope has solved that issue, just too many amps for the switch by itself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 15:50   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

First, use a bladder pressure tank to reduce the. cycling of the pump.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 16:16   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

I'm sure everybody uses an accumulator with that style pump. How do you wire around the internal switch?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 16:25   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm using a Jabsco pump and it is going strong after 2 years of full time cruising
Old 30-11-2018, 16:29   #7

I also have a Jabsco. Only issue is the pressure valve needed replaced after 3 years of full time living
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 16:36   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoner View Post
I also have a Jabsco. Only issue is the pressure valve needed replaced after 3 years of full time living
I feel that is cheap in the big picture
Old 30-11-2018, 16:36   #9

On my last boat, I had no accumulator and my pumps generally lasted far less than a year. With an accumulator, I have never had one die in under a year. Could be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Also, make sure you have a filter before the pump if there is any chance of debris in your fresh water line. Even a small amount of debris can lead to pump failure.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 16:44   #10

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Shurflo Aqua King II. On demand and no accumulator tank but does have a prefilter.

3gpm model and we live aboard. First one had the relay go out of whack and WM replaced it for free w/in a year. Current one is @ 6 months old - working fine.

We had one previously with an accumulator tank and it just kept leaking and running. Couldn't trace down the leak, so I just decided to do without and have not regretted it (yet!)
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 18:08   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I'm sure everybody uses an accumulator with that style pump. How do you wire around the internal switch?

You don’t wire around it, you use the switch to supply the current to close a relay, that way the relay is taking the big amps and the switch only has enough power going through it to energize the relay coil, which isn’t much.
The Shurflo Aqua King II we use is the big one, I think 5 GPM and it pulls some serious amps, and the little micro switch isn’t up to the task, I assume it’s arcing that kills it.
Old 30-11-2018, 18:14   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Shurflo Aqua King II. On demand and no accumulator tank but does have a prefilter.

3gpm model and we live aboard. First one had the relay go out of whack and WM replaced it for free w/in a year. Current one is @ 6 months old - working fine.

We had one previously with an accumulator tank and it just kept leaking and running. Couldn't trace down the leak, so I just decided to do without and have not regretted it (yet!)

It doesn’t have a relay, just a microswitch, to replace it Shurflo wants $50 or so for the whole head, however the number is on the switch and can be bought by itself for a buck or so a piece from many places.
The factory one is soldered on one terminal, however it doesn’t have to be, a spade connector will work on both terminals
Old 30-11-2018, 19:02   #13

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It doesn’t have a relay, just a microswitch, to replace it Shurflo wants $50 or so for the whole head, however the number is on the switch and can be bought by itself for a buck or so a piece from many places.
The factory one is soldered on one terminal, however it doesn’t have to be, a spade connector will work on both terminals

Good info - thanks a64. I will more than likely have to put that to use in the future.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 19:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
My fresh water pump is on the way out. 3rd one in 2 years. Current one was even made in America. What is everybody using and is reliable?
I have used and worn out a lot of marine fresh water system pumps over the years.

As a chemical engineer I have worked with more pumps than most people have even seen, and the ones usually available for this service are a pretty sorry lot made to a price point, not to last.

Go to Marco pumps and get one of their gear pumps. Clean, small, well designed, and long lasting. They aren't the cheapest out there, but no need for a 2nd mortgage either.

I installed two of these in full time live aboard service three years ago, they just keep working.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 20:03   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post

More info needed.

Live aboard? Accumulator or no? What type of pump? Pressure setting?

Tags
pump, water