Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 04:55   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Whale Titan -- Drop in Fit for Gusher 10?

We have had a long discussion on another thread about the problems of the aluminum Gusher 10 bilge pump -- corrosion of the valve seats preventing a prime.

These problems seem to be universal, shared by a multitude of people on here. The idea of this pump is great -- a robust, metal, simple device. But the execution is terrible. And particularly in the case of a device which you might not use all that often, and so be unpleasantly surprised when you go to use it in an emergency.

Someone suggested replacing it with a plastic Whale Titan pump -- sounds like a great idea to me.

There's just the question of whether it has the same dimensions and mounting brackets -- which will make a huge difference in how much trouble such a substitution will be.

Anyone know whether it is a drop-in fit? This information will benefit lots of people, I think.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 05:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Whale Titan -- Drop in Fit for Gusher 10?

The answer, apparently, is no --

http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/downl...et.pdf?did=366

The Gusher 10 and Titan use the same deck plate, but different hole pattern. Apparently, the deck plate covers the mounting holes. So it looks like you could probably take off teh deck plate, drill new holes, and fill the old ones, and then put the deck plate back, and mount your Titan.

I have quite good access to that spot so I'll probably go for this option next winter.
Old 26-02-2015, 11:29   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Whale Titan -- Drop in Fit for Gusher 10?

Can't comment on the hole pattern but I've been using a Whale Gusher Titan for over 5 years for overboard discharge of my black water tank. Good experience so far. In practice it empties my 35 gallon tank with about 50-60 strokes.

After about 5 years odor permeated the neoprene pump bellows so I rebuilt it with the nitrile kit. Easily done although a dirty job since it was a black water pump.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 16:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Whale Titan -- Drop in Fit for Gusher 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Can't comment on the hole pattern but I've been using a Whale Gusher Titan for over 5 years for overboard discharge of my black water tank. Good experience so far. In practice it empties my 35 gallon tank with about 50-60 strokes.

After about 5 years odor permeated the neoprene pump bellows so I rebuilt it with the nitrile kit. Easily done although a dirty job since it was a black water pump.

S/V B'Shert
That's a good recommendation; thanks!