Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 19:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Whale Gulper 220 grey water pump used for bilge

Since I have a relatively shallow bilge Beneteau decided to install the "bilge" pump behind settee back with hose in deepest sump of bilge and a float switch. It has always worked well in tests but has never really faced any challenge. How long can I rely on this pump? Or can I call it good as long as it tests well and I keep things clean. It has been in service for 9 years and sounds fine. The other pump in the boat is manual (standard one in cockpit).
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 20:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Whale Gulper 220 grey water pump used for bilge

When you test it do you actually pump water or just listen to it run? You need to pump water to know its working.

Since it's approaching ten years old, you might want to replace the rubber parts.

You also need to test the automatic switch. Most people have more trouble with the auto switch than the pumps.

In my opinion you should have at least one more electric bilge pump. Preferably with a much higher capacity than the Whale. Mount the switch for the high capacity pump a little higher than the Whale. That way the high capacity pump only comes on if the water is coming in faster than the Whale can handle.

I like the big Rule pumps, the 3700 or 4000.
Old 29-05-2017, 20:49   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Yes, it is mainly the float/auto switch that fails, and if the pump is mounted away from the bilge, then indeed the pump will last for ages. Whale does sell repair kits. Maybe it is time to have one on board.

I am sure you are aware that the Gulper 220 has only limited pumping ability, like approx. 800 lt per hour (is that 200 gallon?), and if you compare that with a Rule 3700 that can pump (so the specs say) 14,000 lt (3700 gallon, funny that the marketed capacity equals the model number.....).

The good thing is that the Gulper can pump most or all the water out of your bilge while other pumps may not, depending on the position and type of 'float/auto' switch.
The other advantage of the Gulper is that can pump easily dirt and debris, as this is a diaphram type of pump.

Edit, just noticed above post: I am with Hopcar, add a large volume pump for real flooding issues. The Whale Gulper might not be able to handle those.

BTW, I have a similar setup, Gulper, Rule x2 (all three with their own 'auto' switch) and a manual pump. the Gulper comes on first, the auto switches for the other pumps are located higher. ie each of these switches higher than the previous one.
The 'auto' switch for the manual pump is wet feet on the cabin floor.
Old 30-05-2017, 03:59   #4

A repair kit makes good sense given the age. It is up high and dry and runs really well when pumping out test water. The switch gets cleaned and tested and it is in good condition.

I have always wanted to add a second pump but I don't think there room under sole in bilge. Another diaphragm pump and pickup hose seems more compatible with boat. Maybe a bigger new Gulper if I can fit it?
Old 30-05-2017, 08:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Do what ever you can to increase your pumping capacity. Both Whale and Jabsco make good diaphragm pumps that can be mounted out of the bilge. You do give up pumping capacity.

Both Jabsco and Whale make good Low Profile submersible pumps that might be an option for you. LP900 Rule LoPro Series > Rule Electric Submersible Pumps > Xylem Flow Control - Let's Solve Water.
Old 27-06-2017, 07:10   #6

Given my bilge arrangement I can't install a new hose of reasonable size permanently without getting medieval on major fiberglass components. I have decided that the shallow bilge isn't the problem as all available space for a discharge hose to take water out is consumed by the existing two discharge hoses. I have plenty of room to install a pump out of the bilge. Well maybe not plenty but enough. I think I am going to go temporary in that I will carefully cut a hole out of sole so that hose can be functionally inserted into bilge but it won't be installed except when left docked or when needed in an emergency. I will keep coiled up behind under nav station.

Does this make sense? I need more capacity but don't want to mess with hull.
Old 27-06-2017, 07:11   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2563.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	150782

Tags
bilge, grey water, water