Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 18:39   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Webastco FCF E1 Error

I cleared the raw water strainer for the A/C (Webastco 24K FCF) and now get a high head pressure alarm (E1) after several minutes. The manual says it is a water flow issue, but I don't notice a drop in output. If the temperature outside is not too high the unit will cycle as normal, but in the heat of the day it will start giving the error.

The manual states specifically to hook up input/output hoses to specified places, so I'm concerned about trying to reverse the connections to flush it out. (Read somewhere it is a capillary exchange system?)

Any ideas?
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 19:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Webastco FCF E1 Error

You sure it’s pumping water? Cause I think that is an actual over pressure alarm, meaning of course no or not enough water flow. My pumps are a bear to reprime, they won’t pull water an inch.

To flush hook up a garden hose and let it rip. If it gets bad I fill a 5 Fl bucket with muratic acid and water and let flow around in a circle.
I have only done that once, and probably shouldn’t have then.
You can’t hurt it by pumping water backwards or forward, it’s just basically an open pipe, surrounded by another pipe with refrigerant in it, the water section is just open. The compressor doesn’t need to be running for a flush, but likely a flush won’t accomplish much, but doesn’t hurt to try.

I have primed my system by putting a garden hose on the discharge thru hull and pumping water backwards, then of course turning the system on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 19:31   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Webastco FCF E1 Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You sure it’s pumping water? Cause I think that is an actual over pressure alarm, meaning of course no or not enough water flow. My pumps are a bear to reprime, they won’t pull water an inch.
Yes, I can look over the side and see the water leaving the boat. I don't know if it was a coincidence that the alarm started after cleaning the strainer or not. It was a mess, and I'm a little surprised that the alarm didn't start earlier due to the condition of the strainer screen. Since my pump is below the water line as recommended by the installation manual, all I have to do to prime it is to remove the output hose from the pump while the seacock is open.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 06:38   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You may have so much scum built up inside the heat exchanger that it’s not efficiently exchanging. This can be exacerbated by being afloat in extremely warm water (like a muddy brown shallow marina in Texas). Best bet would be a mild acid flush of the condenser to remove scale and slime.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 08:25   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 42CC

Sailmonkey I'm in Waterford Harbor marina and I'm getting the acid flush done today becuase you are right about our hot muddy water here in the back waters of the bay.
dslance is offline   Reply With Quote