Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: watermaker
PUR 35 5 10.00%
PUR 40 10 20.00%
Waterlog 200 0 0%
Other 36 72.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2008, 21:15   #31

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
The PUR/Katadyne made about 30-35 gallons per day, depending upon voltage. I would run it for about five hours per day and supported my whole system with about 330 watts worth of solar panels. The watermaker drew 4 amps at 12 volts, so its total draw was about 20 amp hours per day. It was always easy to run off the batteries, whether the sun was up or down, or the engine on or off. I did not have a generator on that boat.

Currently, since we are a good sized charter cat, we have a 9KW NorPro generator. The Spectra Catalina, 300 gpd, would actually make that amount, or a little less, depending on the state of charge of the batteries. Our battery bank is large, 900 amp hours, and the watermaker would happily run all night ( or day) on battery power alone. Current draw was about 16-18 amps and it was very nice not to have to run any engines or generators in order to make water. Recently, we replaced the smallish Bodine motor with a much larger, and slightly less efficient Leeson, and we upgraded the pump head to a size that is rated at 400 gpd. It will actually make that amount off the batteries, but draws 24-26 amps so will not run all night on its own. The problem is not with the overall draw, but that the current causes a voltage drop, while running, that activates our low voltage cut-out after a few hours. However, the cut-out is cutting out at too high a voltage, so I am about to sort that out. At that point, I would not be surprised to see the unit run all night, if necessary. Of course, as the voltage drops, so does the output, but at its lowest, it still gets 14-16 gallons per hour. If the generator is running (and the batteries are being charged, we have seen as much as 18 gallons per hour. We do coordinate the watermaker use with the genset, but since we have to make about 12 hours of water per day while on charter, we do run off the batteries quite a bit. It should be noted that both the Pur and the Spectra are extremely efficient units, and most AC driven units use as much as ten times the power per gallon. Hope this helps.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 05:05   #32

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Lady Hawk
Thanks for the reply. My generator running full on can not supply enough amps to keep the watermaker running full strength. The generator is only 3.5kw and I have four 80 watt solar panels. Does your watermaker run on ac or dc current? Ours is ac.
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 05:26   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If you have the Sea Recovery “AQUA MATIC”, you’ll need about 6 KW of power.
Sea Recovery Aqua Matic Watermaker Specifications

"AQUA WHISPER": about ± 4 KW

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote