Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 03:03   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Watermaker -- Where Would You Put It?

My boat has a special compartment for a watermaker, with plumbing running through it and even a dedicated space for a day tank.

The only problem is you have to take up a substantial piece of salon sole to get to this space, and the watermaker I just found (due to a very kind tip from a friend) is fully manual and needs to be operated in a hands on way.

So I'm thinking about more accessible spaces -- maybe the engine room? Raw water is right here, which is a plus, and it's easy to get to to work the knobs and check the gauges.

Or cut a hatch in the sole plate for easier access to the special compartment?

Where else in the boat is a good place for the watermaker? How much fiddling do you guys do with yours?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 03:12   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Watermaker -- Where Would You Put It?

mine is in front bedroom that was turned into storage space, not hidden. I like to see/check all components, as water pressure is substantial and can cause serious damage to the boat if undetected. There is heat issue as well so one needs to keep eye on.

I have also enabled watermaking while on the way, so can get pristine water in my tanks and carry no more than 200 L. We consume nearly 100 L/day.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 03:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
mine is in front bedroom that was turned into storage space, not hidden. I like to see/check all components, as water pressure is substantial and can cause serious damage to the boat if undetected. There is heat issue as well so one needs to keep eye on.

I have also enabled watermaking while on the way, so can get pristine water in my tanks and carry no more than 200 L. We consume nearly 100 L/day.
Thanks for this. The idea of a jet of seawater resulting from a leak has killed the engine room idea for me. Eek!

I think I may need to cut that hatch.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-02-2018, 03:29   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I might be wrong, but believe that it's not a good idea to have the membranes in the engine room, as the heat is detrimental to them. I have a modular unit, so pumps and some of the plumbing are in the engine room, membranes in a locker adjacent to the ER, and control panel on the other side of the bulkhead, in the salon. If your unit allows you to relocate the control panel and plumbing knobs, and keep the guts in the dedicated space, that might be ideal.
Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 03:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

NOt to derail the thread and fitting in a physical location. I have been talking to Pete7 regarding watermakers in the last 2 days. He has a 30+ footer and reckons for his cruising UK Med etc, its not worth having one unless he goes further afield. Water is available everywhere so if you dont mind storing, its perfectly fine.

Is a water maker essential? Not at all, but if your like me, I prefer fresher water and less storage tanks. I am seriously considering the rainman. It can be dedicated fitted in a small area, or as I would purchase, the portable option.

This doesnt help answer your particular situation DH, but is another option.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 05:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My boat has a special compartment for a watermaker, with plumbing running through it and even a dedicated space for a day tank.

The only problem is you have to take up a substantial piece of salon sole to get to this space, and the watermaker I just found (due to a very kind tip from a friend) is fully manual and needs to be operated in a hands on way.

So I'm thinking about more accessible spaces -- maybe the engine room? Raw water is right here, which is a plus, and it's easy to get to to work the knobs and check the gauges.

Or cut a hatch in the sole plate for easier access to the special compartment?

Where else in the boat is a good place for the watermaker? How much fiddling do you guys do with yours?
stick the thing in the engine room if you want.
if your worried about heat then make water everytime the engine runs.
If your worried about leaks, then check that the vibrating hose is not chafing and that the others are all in good condition.
The main thing is to make sure cleaning the prefilters is easy and accessable and not in an area where drips are a problem. When you clean prefilters then its a bit of a leaky job.
It has to be in a place that is accessible enough to look at it occasionally.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 05:37   #7

I think making an accesses panel is the easiest option, especially because the builder has got plumbing etc. In place as long as access is convenient. There is always water leakage around these units even if it's just changing filters so being right next door to the bilge is also a plus.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:08   #8

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Another thing to consider is if the system has a booster pump or not?
If there is only the HP pump, that pump would benefit from a location below the waterline...
With a booster pump, any height is possible.
The supplier of the kit will normally be able to say more about this matter.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:03   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

On Moodys with the passageway to the aft cabin, which yours has, I have seen several water makers mounted under that berth in the passageway. Take out some of the shelving and mount the water maker there. The inlet can be placed down near the sole so you will have easy access to the seacock. Easy to tap into power and easy to run the water line to your port tank. That means a little loss of some small storage space, but the access is optimal for both operation and servicing.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:41   #10

Boat: Hylas 54

Ours fits under the forward guest bunk. The in and out through hulls and the tank manifold was already plumbed in up there by the boat maker which saved alot of work. The controls we mounted behind an existing locker door below the bunk so all controls can be manipulated easily. If filters need to be changed we have to pull the mattress off the bunk, but that is very infrequent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	165116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	165117  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	165118  
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:09   #11

Boat: J/42

It seems like every combination of boat and device might have a different answer, due to the odd shapes found in both. On a 30-footer, the only options I could find were to cram even more stuff into the sail locker or mount it on the V-berth bulkhead. Since ready access to the filters and valves is needed, I went with the V-berth. (I’m trying to eliminate the need to routinely limbo myself into the sail locker. There’s a chance I may get too old for that.) Others with similar boats have come to the same conclusion. I’m building a drip tray to go beneath it, to intercept minor leaks and slops before they hit the mattress.
In the best of all possible worlds, I’d have it located in a spacious engine & mechanical room.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:50   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
NOt to derail the thread and fitting in a physical location. I have been talking to Pete7 regarding watermakers in the last 2 days. He has a 30+ footer and reckons for his cruising UK Med etc, its not worth having one unless he goes further afield. Water is available everywhere so if you dont mind storing, its perfectly fine.

Is a water maker essential? Not at all, but if your like me, I prefer fresher water and less storage tanks. I am seriously considering the rainman. It can be dedicated fitted in a small area, or as I would purchase, the portable option.

This doesnt help answer your particular situation DH, but is another option.

I don't think you need a watermaker at all in Northern Europe. In the Med, I don't know. I'm sure it's not essential but might be nice to have for those who cruise the African coasts and/or anchor out for weeks at a time. I've not had one these past 9 years cruising Northern Europe and never missed it. I'm installing this one for my Arctic cruise this summer where I'll be far from civilization for long periods, plus a ca 10 day ocean passage.

I could probably do all that also without a watermaker (I have 1000 liters of fresh water tankage) but after growing up on my father's yacht with his water nazi policies and unwashed crew I swore I would never scrimp on water on my own boats. I bathe a lot and would never want the crew to be shy about bathing. I loves me water.
Walt Whitman
Old 28-02-2018, 09:56   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I cut a hinged panel into the back of the salon settee where it backs onto the galley sink. Intake water is piped from the engine raw water seacock. Brine output is connected to a seacock under the sink. The Power Survivor 40 is mounted to the hinged panel. If manual operation is necessary the hinged panel lays flat on the settee seat cushion.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 17:05   #14

You have a very well planned water maker system. Bravo I will try to copy yours when I do my install.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 17:11   #15

Don't forget to drain it before it freezes , If it gets to 32 F in it's little compartment then it's toast.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker