Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2008, 12:31   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
All the ones I have seen cost a huge amount! Sea Recovery $15,000

I guess its sea baths forever

Are there any good options for less than $5,000 professionally installed?

Spectras basic Ventura 150 can be bought for about 5k give or take. If you install it yourself, which you certainly can, you save on the installation cost. There are a lot of variables, personal and logistically to choosing a watermaker. As in many things boat related, the cheapest price is not always the best way to choose a component. When it comes to sailboats and amps Spectra is the best way to go. You can always PM me for any questions on a Spectra.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 12:49   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
eBay Motors: Build your own 12 Volt DC Watermaker (item 180314280729 end time Dec-22-08 06:25:51 PST)

I bought these plans and they look to be complete and understandable. I have not built a unit yet, but the author claims like $1600 for what I am looking for.
I've built two watermakers, one DC the other engine driven. I now own a Spectra. I can't knock the online plans I ordered them as well. What is not factored in on those plans is your time. On my engine driven watermaker if I valued my time @ $5 hr I could have bought any watermaker on the market with all the bells and whistles. There is a LOT of leg work tracking down parts, custom built brackets and a few mistakes anyone can make and no one to lean on when you have specific questions. But I still have some parts for a home built unit if you wish to persue your home built watermaker.
Old 21-12-2008, 12:59   #18

Think KISS!!!

If you indeed go around the world, a simple unit, with not a lot off technical stuff will serve you much better!

We have used the Little Wonder for 4 year with NO problems at all. Our unit is a dual membrane unit so if one goes bad, we could bypass it and still keep going.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 16:02   #19

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Sharing

Well it took me about 3 hours to install it. I could have done it faster but we were on display that day so had people letching the boat that day. Instalation was simple with no tricky bits at all. Just do what they tell you to step by step and be sure not to do the bits they tell you not to. Instructions are clear and easy to follow. We built ours into a dedicated box along the cielings and it is very quiete. A small bit of sound proofing and it would not even be noticable when running. The comments about electronics failure simple do not apply (other than as a pain in the a$$) all you need do is flip one switch and the whole machine reverts to a manual unit. Same for flushing etc. These guys must be sailors because the things are really thought out for use on boats. Sure you can get cheaper ones or even make your own but the real question is.... will what you get or make be as good, last as long, and be as trouble free? I stopped counting the dead watermakers I have seen on used boats. Getting the little monsters is only the beginning. After you have a watermaker in the boat how much work will it be to keep it working? Oh and just a note: Best to use your own water with any water maker as the slightest hint of Clorine in the water will kill your membraine in only a few minutes. My advice? If you can get the best you can ( advertising hype aside) making your own is great if you live aboard and are handy with your hands AND do not mind playing engineer often.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 16:37   #20

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglauds View Post
Hi:

We're outfitting our Orana 44 catamaran for a round-the-world cruise, and we've narrowed our watermaker choice down to two: the Spectra Cape Horn -- two pumps, minimal electronics; and the Spectra Newport - one pump, very automated.

Any thoughts? We like the redundancy of two pumps, but wonder if we'll miss the fancy controls of the Newport.

Thanks.
Just fitted a PRO 500 Modular Watermaker around two months ago. Found them on ebay, sent a few emails and decided to go for it as the price was right. I know it is early days but so far I am very happy. Delivers a bit more than the quoted 20 gallons an hour, has no electronics so requires a bit of my time whenever I run it to bring it up to pressure, test water quality, divert to tank, make excellent water, reduce pressure, flush, switch off. Here's their site... Home Page - PRO Watermaker

Mine was around $3400 but they've since upped the spec and price a bit. Still way below the $6k and up that you'll pay for the same output from a big-name manufacturer. Did the plumbing installation myself and paid an electrician to do the wiring.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 13:23   #21

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
Thanks All ...

Thanks for all the good feedback and advice. Am leaning back to the Newport since cost is less of an issue, and since the controls seems to have some value.

/jon
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 18:06   #22

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Think KISS!!!

If you indeed go around the world, a simple unit, with not a lot off technical stuff will serve you much better!

We have used the Little Wonder for 4 year with NO problems at all. Our unit is a dual membrane unit so if one goes bad, we could bypass it and still keep going.

Greg
I brought the same info up at the Seattle Boat show to them last year. I advided them to incorporate this a cruising mod so taht even by using 1 bypassed, you are still making good water. I will see in a couple of weeks if they did anything.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 20:14   #23

Contact at Spectra for good info and advice

Try contacting this lad he is about the smartest one there and always seems to be straight with his advice

"Glenn Bashforth" <glenn@spectrawatermakers.com>

Good luck and happy sailing
Old 04-01-2009, 20:17   #24

Might want to mention we sent youy along

Mention Historical Vessel Vega sent you along as we have very good relations with them

})
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40   #25

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
I just installed a Spectra Cape Horn. Dual pumps means redundancy (also safety). It is simple to run, so the only reason I can see for the automatic stuff is if you were going to leave it unattended for prolonged periods. The extra parts seem to be what break down and cause almost all of the watermaker problems. Two gallons of propylene glycol antifreeze is all it takes to pickle or winterize the system, and it is easy to do.
The versatility and efficiency are nice features.
I have photos, and a link to lots of installation photos on my website.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:12   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.spots View Post
I just installed a Spectra Cape Horn. Dual pumps means redundancy (also safety). It is simple to run, so the only reason I can see for the automatic stuff is if you were going to leave it unattended for prolonged periods. The extra parts seem to be what break down and cause almost all of the watermaker problems. Two gallons of propylene glycol antifreeze is all it takes to pickle or winterize the system, and it is easy to do.
The versatility and efficiency are nice features.
I have photos, and a link to lots of installation photos on my website.

The Cape Horn is one of my favorites for many of the same reasons.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:33   #27

Water Makers

Take a close look at Village Marines web site in CA. In my exp. they are the best and min problems. For a sail boat you should highly consider a modular unit. If you have a line leak loose bracket,,, It's much easier to service at sea !! Don't forget plenty of pre-filters and place your filters in a space that is easy to them in seas....

I have a new spare unit that produces 250 gpd and no electronics is required. I'm going to list it [with spares ,,] for sale. Also, their pump is titanium and comes with a satisfactory repair and small parts kit. Use your R.O. unit often, back flush and follow the "Instructions". Not following the cleaning and flushing instructions will result in problems you don't need at sea...

However, you should always have a hand held salinity tester.
Stick to a D.C. unit [motor] and always use it at least every 3 days!!
Glad to help out.

Capt. Mike ,,, oceangoer@gmail.com
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglauds View Post
Hi:

We're outfitting our Orana 44 catamaran for a round-the-world cruise, and we've narrowed our watermaker choice down to two: the Spectra Cape Horn -- two pumps, minimal electronics; and the Spectra Newport - one pump, very automated.

Any thoughts? We like the redundancy of two pumps, but wonder if we'll miss the fancy controls of the Newport.

Thanks.
oceangoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 08:36   #28

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
Has anybody found a good source for watermaker pre-filters?

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 09:41   #29

pre-filters

If you are considering the sea water pre-filter.

I have a large pre-filter. Various filters including carbon were purchased at Home Depot, or you can get them at Village Marine.

There should be other stores [lower cost] that sell pleated filters, Lowes, Sears, and various plumbing supply companies. They are not specifically only used for marine systems. I'd need to check but I seem to remember that the pre-filters a 5 or 10 micron.

Good Luck

Capt. Mike
oceangoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:04   #30

Boat: Jon 40, 39 ft, Irene
Re: Watermaker Recommendation?

We have had an Echo2Tec watermaker since 2003. We have been living on board all the time, first in the Caribbean and the last few years in SW Pacific. Echo2Tec is simple and easy to use and has needed very little service. There was a weak point in the endpiece of the membrane unit, but the manufacturer has changed the design and now it is very good. We get 75% of our water catching rainwater, 25% is made by the watermaker. We have never seen any need for automatic flushing or other bells and whistles.
Irene385 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker