Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-02-2011, 17:32   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
GEEZ!!!! POWER YOU DO HAVE!!! I raised the driving question only because that pump requires an electric motor just over 2HP 4 pole or 1725RPM. I considered using the D10 pump earlier in my design but to my knowledge, there are no or at least inexpensive 3HP, 4 pole single phase motors available. 3600RPM is too fast for D10s I am familiar with.

That pump should operate with much less noise than a CAT.

I have most of the piece parts for my setup but right now I am spending all my spare time with a PIC18F controller and still waiting for the development board I ordered. So I am taking time for 'C'.

GO FOR IT TYPHOON!!!! We all look forward to seeing your finished pictures!!! Mine will not be finished before June.

Foggy

Hey Pal, that doesn't mean you don't have to post pics along the way. I'd love to see how far you are at this point.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:44   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Ever look at tap water under a microscope? All kinds of stuff in it. Although I'm sure Tellie will respond when he sees this and give the expert's answer, I'm pretty sure that answer is "most definitely".

You want to get as much of that stuff out of the supply water before it hits the membrane as you can. Otherwise, your very expensive membrane will then be called upon to also do the job of those cheap prefilters and will soon get clogged up, perhaps past the point of the flush's ability to clean them out. The cost of one membrane will pay for more prefilters than you would use for many years of use.

You also really want a charcoal prefilter from your tank to the watermaker for the flush water. You can't always know if the dock water you might have also used has been chlorinated and that chlorine will kill your membrane.

It is that old "ounce of prevention" rule.

ID
Intentional Drifter is right on the money and the answer IS "most definitely" on both pre-filters and charcoal filters. Also your boost pump will help determine what kind of filtration system you want before the high pressure pump and membrane. This is an area that is often just taken for granted when building your own watermaker. Boost pumps, depending on their pressures and flows, can overpower a weak filtration system and make it inefficient or even useless especially when you start getting into the feed rates for a 40gph range watermaker.
Old 09-02-2011, 17:57   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Again, for a definitive answer, ask Tellie, but I believe that you should have it above the water line. The discharge brine water does not have a lot of pressure behind it. My installation manual (a Spectra unit) seems pretty emphatic about it. Also, why have yet another thru hull, below?

ID
Again Intentional Drifter is correct.

I just want to say this so everyone knows what a great community of people we have here on CF, and to understand how far reaching this board can be and actually is. To Intentional Drifter, there is not a job that goes by when I have to configure MPC controllers that I don't whisper a silent thank you for setting up my laptop. You made my job sooooo much easier. Thanks again
Old 09-02-2011, 18:37   #19

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Hey Pal, that doesn't mean you don't have to post pics along the way. I'd love to see how far you are at this point.

Will do Tellie--

But as I type, my home office is loaded with piece parts including solenoid valves both low and high pressure types, flow transducers, high pressure transducer, CAT post regulator another used (gift) regulator, LED panel meters, one new pressure vessel along with a used one somebody gave me and the list goes on. I have my 2HP 4 pole 56C frame motor/pump combo mounted together in my basement all set to get plumbed.

I really want to stick with getting the controls underway before I start plumbing. That darn guy, Goboatingnow (Dave) got my attention to look into microcontrollers. Yes, I had the entire control scheme worked out using discrete components but that was before.

I really need the technical challenge of applying current technology that will combine both hardware and software. Heck, if I fall onto my backside, I can always return to the discretes, I really want to give myself this challenge. Still waiting for critical parts such as a development test board along with a PIC programmer. I believe they are on a slow boat from China.

And yes, I know, I am violating the rules of KISS!

Keep the faith--

Foggy
Old 21-03-2011, 18:18   #20

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
Re: Watermaker Question for the 'Experts'

Greetings...
I'm also building my own watermaker and need a little help with selecting the motor size. Will someone willing to help me that has motor expertise send me a private message so that I can get in touch with you. Much appreciated.

Matt

Tags
watermaker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: