Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2014, 20:19   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Watermaker Pickling with Propylene Glycol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Attachment 82809
You can dilute this up to 50% with pure water from your Watermaker. Always use food grade.
Ha, Duda to the rescue! I brew beer also and use some Duda gear for that. Now I can get PG from them too.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:48   #17

As it turns out my membranes are Dow Filmtec....any reason not to switch to PG ?

Old 11-06-2014, 11:11   #18

Location: Home port is San Diego, California but currently cruising the East Coast of the USA.
Boat: Contest 48

In preperation for a medical procedure (the embarrassing one), I was given a prescription for a large quantity of polyethylene glycol, which I was supposed to drink (all of it) the night before. At first, I got confused and thought I was going to be drinking my watermaker pickling compound but a quick check on the Internet and I discovered my error. Nonetheless, it got me to thinking about whether polyethylene glycol could be used in place of propylene glycol as a watermaker pickling method and my research showed that the two compounds are nearly identical with the exception that polyethylene glycol has a much higher freezing point. I checked with a good friend of mine who has a PhD in chemistry and he said it would work. When I ran the idea by the people at the Spectra factory, their only concern was if it would harm the plastic parts in the watermaker but I can't imagine it would. It's easy to find in any pharmacy and its relatively inexpensive. Could be a good alternative if you plan to pickle your watermaker in an area that doesn't have freezing temperatures.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Old 11-06-2014, 16:18   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
In preperation for a medical procedure (the embarrassing one), I was given a prescription for a large quantity of polyethylene glycol, which I was supposed to drink (all of it) the night before. At first, I got confused and thought I was going to be drinking my watermaker pickling compound but a quick check on the Internet and I discovered my error. Nonetheless, it got me to thinking about whether polyethylene glycol could be used in place of propylene glycol as a watermaker pickling method and my research showed that the two compounds are nearly identical with the exception that polyethylene glycol has a much higher freezing point. I checked with a good friend of mine who has a PhD in chemistry and he said it would work. When I ran the idea by the people at the Spectra factory, their only concern was if it would harm the plastic parts in the watermaker but I can't imagine it would. It's easy to find in any pharmacy and its relatively inexpensive. Could be a good alternative if you plan to pickle your watermaker in an area that doesn't have freezing temperatures.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Knowing and dealing with a lot of past issues with using wrong chemicals in a Spectra I'd say weigh carefully a $3,600 pump verses a savings of what? Can you buy 2-3gallons of polyethylene glycol in a pharmacy and what is the price per gallon?
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 20:13   #20

Defender retail is $12/gallon for -100 propylene glycol, so 2 to 3 gallons is not a big expense. Epecially considering this would typically be a once a season task. Am I missing something here?
Old 16-06-2014, 08:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by motaman9 View Post
As it turns out my membranes are Dow Filmtec....any reason not to switch to PG ?

If anyone else has Dow membranes....Dow seems to recommend SMBS....

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc
Old 29-06-2014, 16:49   #22
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Would there be any advantage to removing a membrane from the housing for long term storage? Is there any kind of cleaning or blow drying or pressure washing or UV light treatment that would work if you had physical access to the membrane itself? Or are these things like violin bows.....don't touch em?

I'm just now starting to turn to the watermaker situation on the old boat we bought. It's a PUR 35 with problems. I'm looking at a membrane replacement and rebuild kit at minimum. Long term I think I want to put an engine driven system in.
Old 29-06-2014, 20:23   #23

They are packaged for storage and shipping, plastic bag basically, of course, but never heard of one being removed for normal pickling. Best to leave in place I think and pickle the entire system so you keep it all clear of bio-funk.

Blow drying would be a really bad idea...a dry membrane is a dead membrane.
Old 29-06-2014, 21:04   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
It's a PUR 35 with problems. I'm looking at a membrane replacement and rebuild kit at minimum.
I will just offer my opinion - if you buy a new membrane and rebuild kit for this unit, it will just be a waste of your money and you will regret it later on. Better to go without for a while or spring now for the one you want in the future.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 21:46   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Would there be any advantage to removing a membrane from the housing for long term storage? Is there any kind of cleaning or blow drying or pressure washing or UV light treatment that would work if you had physical access to the membrane itself? Or are these things like violin bows.....don't touch em?

I'm just now starting to turn to the watermaker situation on the old boat we bought. It's a PUR 35 with problems. I'm looking at a membrane replacement and rebuild kit at minimum. Long term I think I want to put an engine driven system in.

Why remove it from one container just to put it in another? Though there are some that will store membranes separate from their units it doesn't make a lot of sense with smaller units. Usually when these membranes fail there is no saving them and all the cleaning in the world is usually a waste of time. A PUR 35 "with problems" may be more problems than it's worth. I agree with colemj, save your money and add to the watermaker kitty until you can get a watermaker that will better meet your needs. I'll try to be as unbiased as possible here, there's a good reason these units can always be found on E-Bay any day of the week.
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 14:48   #26
Tri

Hi, as PG is much more expensive (and I have to pickel 4 times a year) would it make sense to use SB and simply add a bit of PG to protect the booster pump from corrosion? What is the real issue with SB and the booster pump.

Would Benzalkonium Chloride (BC 50) work as biocide? I heard that SLCE Aqua Base use it (and they also have a booster pump).

Cheers,
Achim

Tags
water, watermaker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: