Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2009, 07:50   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
How much "pure" water that exists in nature is not the point, the point is how much "pure" water is (has been) drunk by humans. I suggest that over the evolutionary span of humans, not much "pure" water has been readily available but much hard water has been available.
1) The "lack of pure water in nature" was quoted by the poster as belonging to the scientist. It DOES therefore reflect negatively on whatever else the scientist said. It just wasn't a well thought out comment.

2) So, you are saying that humans never subsisted on drinking water from ice and snow? Really? They wouldn't melt snow for drinking water? I wonder what the TDS of the mountain stream from snowmelt is - especially after it's been running for a bit? How about Eskimos? Gotta think most of their drinking water has been pure.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 08:19   #32

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
How much "pure" water that exists in nature is not the point, the point is how much "pure" water is (has been) drunk by humans. I suggest that over the evolutionary span of humans, not much "pure" water has been readily available but much hard water has been available.
The point I was trying to make is that RO water is not "pure" by TDS standards. It appears to me that they don't get much better than 150, and people seem to do maintenance on their systems when it gets above 500. This webpage quotes a study that says 170 TDS or higher can reduce heart disease. So unless you have a distillation plant on your boat you're not drinking "pure" "unhealthy" water.

Hard Water is Healthier Than Soft Water FAQs From TWT

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 16:17   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
OK, so you use an article from a company that sells MAGNETS (electromagnets) to treat water? How credible can that be? The magnets have been tested and retested, and are nothing but a scam.
Old 16-04-2009, 16:44   #34

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
OK, so you use an article from a company that sells MAGNETS (electromagnets) to treat water? How credible can that be? The magnets have been tested and retested, and are nothing but a scam.
You missed the whole point. I've been trying to say that RO water is just as hard as the water you get from many if not most municipal water supplies, so it isn't the low TDS water that people are worried about that you pretty much only get from distillation plants.

IF you are going to worry about it, there appears to be some studies, which I have no idea how valid they are, linked by some company that I don't care about, that indicates RO has at least the TDS content to not worry about too low of TDS.

Please Read for content.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 17:10   #35
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
AFAIK all naturalwater from rain,snow etc. is mineralised. The moisture condenses on microscopic airborne minerals to form drops.
Also AFAIK the body needs only organic minerals found in vegetables, inorganic mineral are not required for health.
Inorganic minerals are absorbed away from the digestive track so quickly there is not a problem with leeching minerals out of the body by drinking demineralised water.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 18:37   #36

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
It would have better if I had made the statement in those terms.

Water is the most effective solvent in the universe and it stays deminerlized only for very short periods of time, and usually only as a gas. As soon as water vapor condenses into liquid form it starts dissolving something at which point it's no longer pure.

Humans through their evolutionary development have never ingested pure water--until now. Ergo, we are probably not built for it.
Old 16-04-2009, 18:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
1) The "lack of pure water in nature" was quoted by the poster as belonging to the scientist. It DOES therefore reflect negatively on whatever else the scientist said. It just wasn't a well thought out comment..
1. The scientist(s) (pural) didn't make the statement about demineralized water not existing in nature. That is my editorial comment.

2. The WHO reports are not the product of a single scientist. They are summaries of the scientific literature and experiemental and epidemiological data from many scientists from all across the globe.

3. I did not intend my editorial comment to apply to water as a vapor (gas state) which frequently is pure. But how many people 'drink' gaseous water? Water in its liquid state, however, is such an effective solvent that it remains pure after condensation only for minutes, if not seconds.
Old 16-04-2009, 21:50   #38

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I'd argue that you can't get pure uncontaminated water, even in the best, cleanest laboratory on Earth.

In any case, it's up to the one who makes the claim ('pure' water will kill you) to provide the proof. People don't get to make outrageous claims, and then put the burden of disproof on you.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 09:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
In any case, it's up to the one who makes the claim ('pure' water will kill you) to provide the proof. People don't get to make outrageous claims, and then put the burden of disproof on you.
The statement that drinking pure water will kill you is sufficiently fatuous that we need not pay much attention to it. The more interesting unsupport statement is that drinking pure water is harmless. Those proponents have, IMO, an insurmountable burden of proof.
Old 17-04-2009, 10:03   #40

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I would like to inquire as to why the glacial runoff is often times called "glacial milk" by locals due to the milky color of it from the tons of disolved minerals in it if it's so "pure"?
Coloidal minerals are often times suspended minerals in water exactly like glacers produce. The most valuable water to drink for the human body I would suspect.
Right? or wrong?
Old 17-04-2009, 10:53   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
I would like to inquire as to why the glacial runoff is often times called "glacial milk" by locals due to the milky color of it from the tons of disolved minerals in it if it's so "pure"?
Coloidal minerals are often times suspended minerals in water exactly like glacers produce. The most valuable water to drink for the human body I would suspect.
Right? or wrong?
Much of glacial runoff has lots of ground up rock in it, from the glacial movement.

Now, folks, let's get over the wording of "pure":

Typical TDS of RO water from a home RO unit is 10-25 ppm TDS (depends upon the source and the age and rejection rate of the membrane).

RO/DI water is from 0-5ppm.

From a marine unit, numbers in the 100-200 range are typical.

In a "pure mountain stream" from meltwater, a TDS of 30-50 is common (from some googling for this...).

OK, now here is the REALLY funny part:

It just so happens to be raining here today (finally!). So, I just took a cup outside (after rinsing it with RO/DI water), and got a sample of water that had run off of the ROOF (contaminants and all). Pulled out my trusty TDS meter (I have 2) and guess what? Yup. 11ppm!

So, rainwater is more "pure" than home RO water, which is more "pure" than RO water from a watermaker!

Now, does someone want to tell me we shouldn't be drinking rainwater????
Old 17-04-2009, 11:19   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've been drinking rainwater from my cistern here in the Caribbean for going on three years, and my wheels haven't fallen off yet.

I'd say that if it worries you to be drinking low TDS water, chew a few Rolaids every now and then. Plenty of magnesium and calcium in them, which is what the WHO monograph suggested was important for cardiac health.
Old 17-04-2009, 14:36   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Just in case you are worried it is also clear all forms of plants as well as animals require trace elements. If you eat anything you'll get what they have. Water is not the only source of such things. Manganese is a critical element to all plant life. The concept that you need them is clear however the idea that they only come from unpure water is more than silly.

I have a good friend that only drinks distilled water. He may be goofy but he is healthy.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 22:43   #44

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
So has some enterprising person come out with a mineral packet you can drop in your water tank to add the minerals back the WM took out? If so, where can one get them?

Thanks,

TJ
Old 18-04-2009, 23:16   #45

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Seriously, with all the problems in the world we face and someone is worried that drinking RO water might harm them ?
I find that curiously funny.
Also there is probably, and I say probably cause I haven't tested it, between what goes in your tank via a RO watermaker, and what comes out. I bet there is plenty of things to worry about in your tank. Hope you have good filtration and change it often.

The fact is that we get a lot more minerals than we need from our diet, and no amount of PURE water, which RO is not anyway, will harm you.
Be more afraid of whats lurking in your tank, and what you put in there to sanitize them.

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker