Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-10-2009, 18:58   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Two points I'd like to make.
1) John is right when he states "This is why I make such a big deal about the choice of watermaker (size/model) for YOU, must be based on YOUR application......
NOT based on mine, nor others....."

Being one of ...thee "Others" I get to hear all kinds of advice on which watermaker is best for somebody else. There is no one watermaker fits all. At all! When ever I first meet someone whose first comment is "I want and need the biggest watermaker I can afford for the best price I can get" I know I have my work cut out. As much as I'd love to sell you a nice big NPMARKII1200 for your Lagoon 40 and take the rest of the month off, if what you really need is a VT150 that's probably what you'll end up with.
2) As far as making water in questionable areas such as harbors, anchorages, marinas, etc. There is a lot of good debate. A watermaker in perfect condition with a perfect membrane and I wouldn't think twice about drinking water from it no matter where you use it. But perfect isn't the real world. Brine seals can leak, membranes can have minor imperfections or just get old and lose their effectiveness. I wouldn't say to never use it in those conditions but I'm cautious. If you're tied up in a marina with a perfectly good source of water right next to your boat why would you even run your watermaker?
Also I'm trying to tread very carefully not to break board rules.
PS anybody going to the Ft.Lauderdale show this weekend?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: