Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2016, 16:45   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: virginia
Boat: islandpacket
Posts: 1,835
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Tillie, I would like to do that. How far from the train station are you?
__________________

__________________
That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life.
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 18:24   #17
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Tillie, I would like to do that. How far from the train station are you?

Amtrack or TriRail? Both stop at the Hollywood station, and that's about 10 minutes from the shop. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll send you info on the class.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 20:48   #18
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 1,729
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monepit View Post
I'm very new to water makers but you say output in fine in freshwater. All I've read is that you should never use them in fresh water.
Many watermakers need the output lowered in fresh water to protect the membrane. Dial it back to the designed output, somewhere around 200 psi.

With a Spectra no adjustment is needed - they are self regulating in fresh or salt water.
__________________
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 13:22   #19
Registered User
 
Sailormantx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newfoundland
Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Posts: 253
Images: 2
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Tellie I wish I could make that class you are offering, it I will be sailing at that time. Found a source to replace o rings and a routine service kit for the HP manifold. Hope that's it, the $1300 manifold rebuild kit is not in the budget at this time. I agree, think that pulsation in the pump output may be the culprit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:43   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Carlos, Sea of Cotez
Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'
Posts: 61
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Hello,
I don't know wich brand of watermaker you have, but reverse osmosis membranes will be destroyed if you use freshwater under pressure. You can flush your system with freshwater, but high pressure pump must be shut off. The freshwater must just be pushed through your system by the waterpump.

Have a good day
__________________
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:58   #21
Registered User
 
Sailormantx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newfoundland
Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Posts: 253
Images: 2
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdS2 Roland View Post
Hello,
I don't know wich brand of watermaker you have, but reverse osmosis membranes will be destroyed if you use freshwater under pressure. You can flush your system with freshwater, but high pressure pump must be shut off. The freshwater must just be pushed through your system by the waterpump.

Have a good day
Not true! They can only be damaged if the pressure is not regulated down to accommodate the lesser salinity to maintain the designed output of the system, in my case 8 gph. This is not conjecture, it is from the manufacturer, Offshore Marine. Years of experience running this machine in fresh and brackish waters as well as the ocean have also proven it to be a safe practice.

Sent from my K013 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:16   #22
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 1,729
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
Not true! They can only be damaged if the pressure is not regulated down to accommodate the lesser salinity to maintain the designed output of the system, in my case 8 gph. This is not conjecture, it is from the manufacturer, Offshore Marine. Years of experience running this machine in fresh and brackish waters as well as the ocean have also proven it to be a safe practice.

Sent from my K013 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Correct.

With Spectra there is not a need to adjust thew flow as they are self regulating in water of any salinity.
__________________
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 11:28   #23
Registered User
 
nknowland's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently in Brunswick, GA
Boat: Bayfield 40
Posts: 159
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

I am going to jump in on this thread as it's relatively current.

We used our new WM for one year, with no problems. It's a component system --10 gph, 12v booster pump and 120v high pressure pump, powered by Honda2000 generator.

We were off the boat for 2 years and pickled the WM according to mfg instructions (sodium metabisulfate).

Back in the Bahamas now and output is down to 6 gph at 700psi instead of the 10gph we got previously at 700psi. TDS starts at 245 but climbs to 295 after one hour running and up to 385 after 4 hours.

Pumps seem to be running fine. Not hot. Not leaking. No air bubbles.

Is it the membrane???? Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks
__________________
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:38   #24
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caribbean
Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Posts: 225
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdS2 Roland View Post
Hello,
I don't know wich brand of watermaker you have, but reverse osmosis membranes will be destroyed if you use freshwater under pressure. You can flush your system with freshwater, but high pressure pump must be shut off. The freshwater must just be pushed through your system by the waterpump.

Have a good day
Whomever told you this does not know what they are talking about. ALL Industrial desalination systems are flushed using permeate water diverted into the feedwater side and flushed using the HP pumps. ALL OF THEM!
__________________
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:43   #25
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caribbean
Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Posts: 225
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
I am going to jump in on this thread as it's relatively current.

We used our new WM for one year, with no problems. It's a component system --10 gph, 12v booster pump and 120v high pressure pump, powered by Honda2000 generator.

We were off the boat for 2 years and pickled the WM according to mfg instructions (sodium metabisulfate).

Back in the Bahamas now and output is down to 6 gph at 700psi instead of the 10gph we got previously at 700psi. TDS starts at 245 but climbs to 295 after one hour running and up to 385 after 4 hours.

Pumps seem to be running fine. Not hot. Not leaking. No air bubbles.

Is it the membrane???? Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks
I would suggest looking at your flows for the permeate and concentrate as it seems like you are over fluxing your membranes. The recovery rate for a small watermaker should be around 35-40%. 45% is maximum recovery for SWRO membranes. % Recovery = (Product flow rate Feed flow rate) 100.

Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
maintenance, water, watermaker

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 'Maintenance-Free' Facnor Headsail Furling Unit Needs Maintenance Hugh Walker Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 22 05-10-2016 20:47
There's Something Missing from this Boat! Tymadman General Sailing Forum 15 05-05-2014 05:42
Through hull valve stuck, am I missing something? Suggestions? SailorKeddy Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 10 28-03-2013 17:27
Am I Missing Something ? TOM Engines and Propulsion Systems 3 12-11-2011 11:35
Something to Play with for Beach Potlucks that Leaves Something Good Behind knothead General Sailing Forum 1 04-05-2010 14:06



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.