Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2016, 15:45   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Re: Watermaker maintenance, am I missing something?

Tillie, I would like to do that. How far from the train station are you?
Old 20-03-2016, 17:24   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Tillie, I would like to do that. How far from the train station are you?

Amtrack or TriRail? Both stop at the Hollywood station, and that's about 10 minutes from the shop. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll send you info on the class.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 19:48   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monepit View Post
I'm very new to water makers but you say output in fine in freshwater. All I've read is that you should never use them in fresh water.
Many watermakers need the output lowered in fresh water to protect the membrane. Dial it back to the designed output, somewhere around 200 psi.

With a Spectra no adjustment is needed - they are self regulating in fresh or salt water.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:22   #19

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Tellie I wish I could make that class you are offering, it I will be sailing at that time. Found a source to replace o rings and a routine service kit for the HP manifold. Hope that's it, the $1300 manifold rebuild kit is not in the budget at this time. I agree, think that pulsation in the pump output may be the culprit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:43   #20

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
I don't know wich brand of watermaker you have, but reverse osmosis membranes will be destroyed if you use freshwater under pressure. You can flush your system with freshwater, but high pressure pump must be shut off. The freshwater must just be pushed through your system by the waterpump.

Have a good day
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:58   #21

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdS2 Roland View Post
Hello,
I don't know wich brand of watermaker you have, but reverse osmosis membranes will be destroyed if you use freshwater under pressure. You can flush your system with freshwater, but high pressure pump must be shut off. The freshwater must just be pushed through your system by the waterpump.

Have a good day
Not true! They can only be damaged if the pressure is not regulated down to accommodate the lesser salinity to maintain the designed output of the system, in my case 8 gph. This is not conjecture, it is from the manufacturer, Offshore Marine. Years of experience running this machine in fresh and brackish waters as well as the ocean have also proven it to be a safe practice.

Sent from my K013 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:16   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
Not true! They can only be damaged if the pressure is not regulated down to accommodate the lesser salinity to maintain the designed output of the system, in my case 8 gph. This is not conjecture, it is from the manufacturer, Offshore Marine. Years of experience running this machine in fresh and brackish waters as well as the ocean have also proven it to be a safe practice.

Sent from my K013 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Correct.

With Spectra there is not a need to adjust thew flow as they are self regulating in water of any salinity.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 10:28   #23

Boat: Bayfield 40

I am going to jump in on this thread as it's relatively current.

We used our new WM for one year, with no problems. It's a component system --10 gph, 12v booster pump and 120v high pressure pump, powered by Honda2000 generator.

We were off the boat for 2 years and pickled the WM according to mfg instructions (sodium metabisulfate).

Back in the Bahamas now and output is down to 6 gph at 700psi instead of the 10gph we got previously at 700psi. TDS starts at 245 but climbs to 295 after one hour running and up to 385 after 4 hours.

Pumps seem to be running fine. Not hot. Not leaking. No air bubbles.

Is it the membrane???? Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 11:38   #24

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdS2 Roland View Post
Hello,

Have a good day
Whomever told you this does not know what they are talking about. ALL Industrial desalination systems are flushed using permeate water diverted into the feedwater side and flushed using the HP pumps. ALL OF THEM!
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 11:43   #25

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
I am going to jump in on this thread as it's relatively current.

We used our new WM for one year, with no problems. It's a component system --10 gph, 12v booster pump and 120v high pressure pump, powered by Honda2000 generator.

We were off the boat for 2 years and pickled the WM according to mfg instructions (sodium metabisulfate).

Back in the Bahamas now and output is down to 6 gph at 700psi instead of the 10gph we got previously at 700psi. TDS starts at 245 but climbs to 295 after one hour running and up to 385 after 4 hours.

Pumps seem to be running fine. Not hot. Not leaking. No air bubbles.

Is it the membrane???? Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks
I would suggest looking at your flows for the permeate and concentrate as it seems like you are over fluxing your membranes. The recovery rate for a small watermaker should be around 35-40%. 45% is maximum recovery for SWRO membranes. % Recovery = (Product flow rate ÷ Feed flow rate) × 100.

Hope this helps.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, water, watermaker