Has anyone gone through the process of installing their own watermaker
? I am just finishing the initial stages of my installation
now. I aquired a used Spectra system and have spent about the last 30 days preparing and finally installing it.
The base system is an older version than the current
specta system. It was loosely termed the Spectra 380c system. This was charcterized by 16 gallon per hour production at 20 amps per hour. It is also very modular.
I have optimzed certain things to bring them in line with the most modern spectra systems. I had originally conceptualized building my own system, but I wanted one with a hydraulic intensifier. I tried locating on at a reasonable price
, but after several months of fruitless searching I found a used spectra system on ebay. After purchasing
, I realized that much of the conceptualization could be applied to optimizing the 380c.
In this optimization I have done the following:
Purchased a new SW30-2540 membrane. Even though the system came with a membrane, I was unsure of its state, so finding one for $170 represented a great savings over the $500 Spectra list price
Purschased 3 new filter housings- Picked these up from Lowes at about $30 each, not counting filter elements. These list for about 85 from Spectra.
Purchased 15 feet of High pressure hose. Got this from Specta. It was about $4 per foot. I could have gotten the same stuff from Parker Hannifin for $1.80, but I would have had to purchase
Rebuilt the Shurflo pumps. One was rusted and a magnet had come loose from the houseing. I wanted to have it powder coated, but there was no convient place or way to do it. I soaked it in Phosporic acid to neutralize the rust then primed and painted it with Rustoleum products. Probably be okay for a couple of years or so. Cost about $30.
Bought about 40 feet of 5/8 reinforced hose from Lowes. Don't remember the cost off hand, but it was reasonable.
Bought a bunch of straight, elbows and fittings for 5/8 tubing and 1/4" tubing. Got it from McMaster (www.mcmaster.com
). A lot simpler than trying to find all the misc parts
from Lowes, Home Depot and West Marine
. Bought 50 feet of 1/4" tubing also.
Got a couple of high output 120 mm muffin fans from Ebay. About $14 for both if I recall
. That included shipping
Got 2 Shurflo heat sinks for the pumps. These I got from a place in Ca. $40 for two, that included shipping
. Specta has what they call a pump cooling
kit that consists of the fan, a shroud
and the hit sink. They retail for $75 per kit.
I bought a bunch of clamps, screws, teflon tape and the like. Cost about $25 for all the little misc. stuff.
After getting all this stuff, I could begin assembly. What a pain!!! This is the most difficult, simple thing I can remember doing in ages. You just have to connect all these pumps, filters, valves, membranes, intensifier, through-hulls, existing water
supply, existing drains, water tanks
, electrical panels
, pressure transducers, and flow meter all together. I'll do a complete write-up one of these days.
Meanwhile. Where are those new ferrules Only thing left to do before the finale attachment.