Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2013, 22:36   #1

Boat: between boats
Watermaker Installation

Hi all

Am currently cruising through the med and trying to install a watermaker as i go (no easy task i can tell you!). Bought a 50 liter an hour version (Baitek) from an Italian mob called MZ Electronic and due to a bunch of hold ups wasnt able to get it installed by them and now they have my cash they are not helping with any advice on install

So ive been slowly doing it myself as i can find parts as i go but the result hasnt been as expected / promised (25 liters an hour not 50) so im hoping you guys can shed some light on what i can do to improve my first take installation. Im probably doing a few things wrong but the instructions that came with the unit were pretty basic!

Basic installation is in in the starboard engine room since thats where the existing throughhull was located. Dont plan to keep it there once we haul out at end of season but for now it was the easiest place. Pics attached.

The pumps and filter (5 micron) are all located below the water line but the need to fit the ro unit above the waterline maybe is causing the loss of performance?

Also im not happy that for now im running the brine up another meter or so vertically from there to discharge over the side.

Under operation the pumps are getting good voltage feed (<.1 v loss).

water pressure not so good - jumps between 8 bar and 12 bar with each cylce of the ro pump. The brine flow also goes up to a gush then down to a trickle every few seconds. Thought maybe air was the issue here but cant locate any problems. So is it the vertical lift only thats the issue?

Appreciate any advice for the quick fix now for next month or so as well as ideas on a better longer term install once i can do thu hulls etc.

Also goes without saying AVOID MZ Electronic. Despite claims of reps all over the med if they wont return calls or emails thats not much help....

many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wm1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	65757   Click image for larger version

Name:	wm2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	65758  

Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 23:53   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Watermaker Installation

Looks like insufficient feed water starving the high pressure pump. Quickest fix is a small feed water boost pump between the strainer and the filters.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 00:02   #3

What are the black things on the right hand side of the first image?
Old 20-08-2013, 03:06   #4

The small black things are the two feed pumps. One thought i had was they werent getting enough power but thats not the problem.
Old 20-08-2013, 04:34   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

maybe try run the brine into a bucket to check if its the problem.
Also does it have a freshwater flush cycle? Try run freshwater through for 5 mins before you run it. Also our 60l/hr makes 30-35l in the current conditions, it depends on salinity and water temp. Here's a test we did a couple of months ago

"Water temp is 25 C
when running the WM at the lower edge of the green it draws 30A and produces 30l/h as measured at the output (on the display this is about the middle of the silver float)
when running the WM at the upper edge of the green it draws 36A and produces 36l/h
as measured at the output (again on the display it correlates to about the middle of the float)
So the conclusion is either way, it will produce 1 l /amp in the current conditions (temp and salinity etc)"

PS, Hows Greece treating you?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 04:55   #6

Thanks ill give the bucket a go next run though maybe given your numbers im being a bit harsh. What's the water flow on the brine outlet under those kind of numbers though? Is it pretty regular or gush and trickle like i tried to describe?

Still loving Greece. Have slowed right down as have decided to haul out in preveza so will start back tracking in few weeks. Moored to town quay in cephalonia (next to another 380) for 17 euro inc power and water. Awesome gyros and mythos beer 15m away...

Just check a grib the weather here has been perfect for weeks( strong nor westers just seem to bend away from northern ionion)

Trust me having done most of what you have - get yer arse down here!
Old 20-08-2013, 06:24   #7

Is this correct, you have the thru hull, the filter, a pulsation dampener (the silver thing between the filter and the feed pumps) and then the feed pumps supplying sea water to the high pressure pump.
Old 20-08-2013, 06:43   #8

In order -

1 thru hull and sea cock
2 strainer
3 3 way valve to split salt and fresh flush feeds
4 2 x feed pumps
5 bleeder valve (silver capsule)
6 filter
7 pressure guage
8 up to ro pump
9 2 x membranes
10 discharge and product water

Hope this helps make things clear

All up to 7 below water line per instructions. Bleeder valve wasnt in the italian diagram but from a photo of batek installation think its in the right spot

Thanks
Old 20-08-2013, 06:46   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greece sounds great ! Just ran the WM, the brine is a slow constant trickle...
Old 20-08-2013, 06:46   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Are you actually measuring that 25L/hr output, or reading it from a flow gauge?

There are two feed pumps?

I suspect the water flow variations are due to the accumulator tank and/or pressure switch on the pumps. Remove the tank and see if the flow variations stop and output increases.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 06:49   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That bleeder valve sure looks like and accumulator to me. Don't know why you need a bleed valve there. The accumulator tank will wreak havoc with the feed pump output pressures, and if they fall below the HP pump intake spec, you will get lower output (and risk HP pump damage).

How are the two feed pumps plumbed? Not in series? I don't understand that part.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 07:33   #12

Ok will take out the accumulator/ bleeder valve and see what happens next run and update. It came with the kit though so where do you think it should go ( like i said not in the diagram)

The feeder pumps are plumbed in parallel. The 50 liter system has 2 and a second membrane. 25 liter had one pump one membrane

Yep measuring actual output not meter.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:30   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hi barra,

Just went through a similar self fit on a schenker, but they were very helpful.

My problem was also pump starting/stopping/revving , after a lot of tests, turns out the pressure switch was not set correctly, i increased its setting by half a turn and it works properly now!

Can you locate the pressure switch? Mine was a fox design, with a black plastic cap with a screw in it that you took out, then the black cap to expose a 2mm alan key that you turn clockwise in 1/4 turns until things settle down.

Good luck

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 08:38   #14
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

looks like a cool change coming your way !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	65777  
Old 20-08-2013, 08:49   #15

Hi charlie

Not sure i can see a pressure switch as such just the pressure bleeder valve. Where is it located on the shenker models?

Ive taken the accumulater out and tried running the brine into a bucket at water level. Neither has made a difference. Still 25 liter output and still the pressure build then quick drop form 12 bar to 8. Thats when the brine gushes out. Maybe the accumulator should be located elsewhere?

Tags
installation, water, watermaker