Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 14:38   #1

Boat: leopard cat 45ft
Watermaker Input

I just had a couple questions to you all... Im looking to buy a watermaker for my 45ft cat. I saw this spectra on Ebay that looks pretty reasonable. Its a 200 gal a day unit called the 200c. Does anyone have any input on the watermaker? Here is the ebay link,

Spectra Watermaker Model 200c: eBay Motors (item 250683851476 end time Aug-21-10 16:00:09 PDT)

also do I need anything else? It looks like a complete kit.

thanks

BigRon
BigRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 16:17   #2

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
I don't have any direct experience with this model. Remember that watermaker kits are not likely to include any of the normal plumbing fittings (hoses, seacocks, raw water strainers, etc.) or electrical fittings (circuit breaker, power supply wiring, etc.) that are needed to connect it with the boat's other systems. Also remember to consider the additional electrical load (how many amp-hours per day will it add to your existing requirements?) as it may not seem quite so cheap if you need alternator and battery upgrades to make proper use of it.
Old 20-08-2010, 08:54   #3

Boat: leopard cat 45ft
Thanks marshmat! I went over to the spectra website and checked it out the owners manual. Seems pretty simple to install and operate. I figured I wouldnt have the thru hulls included (intake and Brine discharge). The manual online says the unit came with an install kit, which is the hoses and fittings. So basically im just going to have to map out my thru hulls, and wiring. We will see how the bidding goes. The seller says it retailed for over $5500. How much do you guys think I should pay?

thanks again
BigRon
BigRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 10:32   #4

Boat: Intended - Nordhavn 60
1. The seller has no history - red flag.
2. Its in CA you're in FL - red flag.
3. No returns - red flag.

The bitterness of getting scr&^%$ remains long after the attraction of cheap price is forgotten.

My .02 -

RF
ricf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 11:38   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Up front, I am the dealer for Spectra in the area you live. The interesting thing is the Mariposah name. That's the street Spectras factory is on. Ask the seller to give you the serial number off of the Clark pump. It should end in either -07 or -10. Call Spectra and ask them of they did a re-build on this system. If they did then $1,500 is a good price for a factory rebuilt 200C. A remanufactured Clark pump alone costs more than the asking price. But the pic on E-Bay is misleading. If it is a 200C then there is only one feed pump. The pic shown is a 380C. Basically the only difference is the second feed pump. If the unit comes with a 40 inch membrane then adding the second feed pump (which are propriatary to Spectra $340) is well worth the cost and will double the production rate and add redundancy no other watermaker on the market provides. What you will have with two feed pumps on this system is basically a Spectra Cape Horn Extreme which retails for $6,750.
Best case is at $1,500 and it has been properly re-built and everything works, it's a very good deal for a Spectra. If you have to rebuild the Clark pump $450 + shipping. Replace a feed pump head $205. New membrane $200-$600 depending where you get it. Add a new feed pump assembly (motor and pump head) $340. So $1,500 plus $450 plus $600 plus $205 plus $340 = $3,095 Still cheaper than a basic Spectra 150. If you're set on a Spectra it's not a bad deal. You will not get a more energy efficient watermaker than this type of set up. Always remember "Caveat Emptor". You can always call me if you'd like with any questions just send me a PM.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 11:48   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

PS Ron
I see the seller has a bench test spec sheet. Get it via fax and check the dates. It it's within a four month period and Spectra confirms it. I'd feel comfortable bidding on it. This would be a good size for a 45'Cat. Good Luck.
Old 20-08-2010, 12:11   #7

Tellie, those were some mighty helpful posts for the OP. I for one will be sure to recall your helpfulness when I am in the market for a watermaker; and know just who to buy from!
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:53   #8

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
The picture is misleading - it's a 380 (two feed pumps and 40" membrane). So the question is whether it is the one or the other...
I can tell you that I have had a Spectra 380 on my boat since 1998 - mine was the 49th one manufactured and it is still going (I did replace the membrane - a consumable item - the feedpumps, and the original bronze fittings on the Clark pump which are now standard as stainless steel). My solar panels provide the electricity to run it with one feed pump - 8 amps. Wish I had put an hour meter on it, it must have run now for a couple thousand hours in the past 12 years.
I tapped into the sea water thru-hull for the sink for input and the sink drain thru-hull for discharge. You would still need a switch and fuse or - as I use - a circuit breaker for each feed pump.
The fact that they can run from solar panels, engine alternators, house battery bank or wind generator makes them very robust for energy source - not as productive as an engine driven system but then not reliant on one source of power or the need to run the engine even in a marina...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 14:09   #9

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
I should also add that the "what" is only part of the question - you also need the "why" as in how many people will use it, what are their water-using habits, how much capacity in your tanks, and how often in cruising will you be near an on-shore water bib? If you find you need 60 gallons a day, you should look at larger systems. If you use only 2 gallons a day you will have to learn to be more profligate with your water use as they (any system) need to be run every two or three days to keep the membranes clean...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 17:01   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
I should also add that the "what" is only part of the question - you also need the "why" as in how many people will use it, what are their water-using habits, how much capacity in your tanks, and how often in cruising will you be near an on-shore water bib? If you find you need 60 gallons a day, you should look at larger systems. If you use only 2 gallons a day you will have to learn to be more profligate with your water use as they (any system) need to be run every two or three days to keep the membranes clean...

Michael
We have a Spectra 180 which has been factory updated.
It now makes nearly ten gallons an hour, and I know what you mean about learning to be profligate with water.

I keep telling my wife to take a shower more often...very carefully and tactfully...she doesn't stink or anything, but I can't get her to just go for it!

She insists on sponge baths and loves to tell me how little water she uses...what's up with that????

I hope she doesn't see this post.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 21:17   #11

Hello...i need accessories for the designing of water tank...please suggest me
pansy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 05:39   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post

Michael

This is true.
Deciding on a watermaker should never be done on price alone. There are alot, repeat A LOT, of variables that make one watermaker great for one boat and a disaster for another.

Tags
watermaker