Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 04:00   #1
SFH
Registered User
 
SFH's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Danish
Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Posts: 91
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Putting together my layout and parts list for my watermaker project this winter.

Have decided to go with a DANFOSS APP 0.8 high pressure pump due to lower noise and more energy efficient, but only problem is that the inlet pressure must be min. 0.9 bar (13 psi) and max. 5 bar (72.5 psi) abs. At lower pressures the pump will cavitate, resulting in damage to the pump.

1. Anybody having experience with this pump as HP pump?

I want to keep things as simple as possible but to avoid starving the high pressure pump I am considering including a Pressostat to cut the power to the high pressure pump if the inlet pressure drops below 0.9bar.

I intend to use a Jabsco23690-4003 Junior Puppy self priming pump as boost pump which according to specs "Can generate pressures up to 2 bar (30psi)". SHould be ok but I would actually like to have a higher safety margin.

2. Any advice on boost pump to use instead?


//Steen
__________________

SFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48   #2
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,222
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFH View Post
Putting together my layout and parts list for my watermaker project this winter.

Have decided to go with a DANFOSS APP 0.8 high pressure pump due to lower noise and more energy efficient, but only problem is that the inlet pressure must be min. 0.9 bar (13 psi) and max. 5 bar (72.5 psi) abs. At lower pressures the pump will cavitate, resulting in damage to the pump.

1. Anybody having experience with this pump as HP pump?

I want to keep things as simple as possible but to avoid starving the high pressure pump I am considering including a Pressostat to cut the power to the high pressure pump if the inlet pressure drops below 0.9bar.

I intend to use a Jabsco23690-4003 Junior Puppy self priming pump as boost pump which according to specs "Can generate pressures up to 2 bar (30psi)". SHould be ok but I would actually like to have a higher safety margin.

2. Any advice on boost pump to use instead?


//Steen



If you're going to use a Danfoss you'll need to pay extra attention to the pre-filtration. Filtering down to 1 Micron is important.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:25   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 929
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFH View Post
I intend to use a Jabsco23690-4003 Junior Puppy self priming pump as boost pump which according to specs "Can generate pressures up to 2 bar (30psi)". SHould be ok but I would actually like to have a higher safety margin.
//Steen
The Junior Puppy would be a very bad choice of feed pumps to use. Your feed pump must NOT be a positive displacement pump.

If at all possible, your plumbing should be set up so the feed pump is below water level and does not need to be self priming. If that is a requirement for some reason, you have a more complex problem....

A March magnetically coupled centrifugal pump matched to the overall flow rate of the system is far better choice than the Junior Puppy.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:27   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,728
Images: 75
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFH View Post
Putting together my layout and parts list for my watermaker project this winter.

Have decided to go with a DANFOSS APP 0.8 high pressure pump due to lower noise and more energy efficient, but only problem is that the inlet pressure must be min. 0.9 bar (13 psi) and max. 5 bar (72.5 psi) abs. At lower pressures the pump will cavitate, resulting in damage to the pump.

1. Anybody having experience with this pump as HP pump?

I want to keep things as simple as possible but to avoid starving the high pressure pump I am considering including a Pressostat to cut the power to the high pressure pump if the inlet pressure drops below 0.9bar.

I intend to use a Jabsco23690-4003 Junior Puppy self priming pump as boost pump which according to specs "Can generate pressures up to 2 bar (30psi)". SHould be ok but I would actually like to have a higher safety margin.

2. Any advice on boost pump to use instead?


//Steen
you would need to have a higher flow rate from the pump than demand to the high pressure pump to maintain 1-2 bar of pressure which might be problematic with this type of continuous running impellor pump without some sort of pressure regulator
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:11   #5
Registered User
 
mvmojo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2018
Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel
Posts: 115
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

If you have air conditioning, you may be able to use the existing pump. That's what I do. The water puppy would not be appropriate as a boost pump. You want a centrifugal pump mounted below the waterline so it is continuously flooded. You may also want to put a vent line in the inlet to avoid an air lock.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:30   #6
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: So Cal
Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Posts: 353
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread but I did see some guy in Florida selling a watermaker kit for about $1400. It appears he is using a Karcher pressure washer pump for his high pressure pump. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not? Are real watermaker pumps made differently for salt water? Anybody care to blow this thing full of holes?


Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:50   #7
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 2,805
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
I don't mean to sidetrack the thread but I did see some guy in Florida selling a watermaker kit for about $1400. It appears he is using a Karcher pressure washer pump for his high pressure pump. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not? Are real watermaker pumps made differently for salt water? Anybody care to blow this thing full of holes?


From what ive read here its not a good idea BUT theres a cat next to me using one, he built it himself, it puts out 140l/hr and has been going strong for a couple of years. Will it keep going? I dont know.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 13:26   #8
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Harlingen, The Netherlands
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 1,029
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Dale, is that neighbor of yours using the complete setup from the video or is he using a complete homegrown one with a Kärcher as HP pump?
If he really got several years out of the Kärcher pumping saltwater, that sounds remarkable to me.
Any chance you could verify the latter with him?
Thanks.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 13:34   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 54
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Water maker

try this post over here in the uk
the guy uses a cat 277 pump
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 18:07   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Jensen Beach, Fl
Boat: O'Day 34
Posts: 137
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
I don't mean to sidetrack the thread but I did see some guy in Florida selling a watermaker kit for about $1400. It appears he is using a Karcher pressure washer pump for his high pressure pump. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not? Are real watermaker pumps made differently for salt water? Anybody care to blow this thing full of holes?


I’ve been using this seaeaterpro setup for the past year with great results. His theory is that all parts are available off the shelf. In June when we were in Norway and I went into a hardware store and saw the pressure washer for ~$200 US. Unlike other pressure washer pumps this one is made of a composite material, not pot metal like most cheap pumps.
I’ve had great customer support and the mfg claims he has had only 1 pump failure out of 200+ units in over 2 years. I routinely get 20+ gph out of the system with ~300 ppm dissolved solids Calibrated for NaCl.
The system comes with all fittings and lines to install it, even a roll of T-tape.

I am not connected to this company other than being a satisfied customer.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 18:46   #11
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,973
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

You may want to consider one of these pumps
http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com...aker_Parts.php
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 23:04   #12
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 2,805
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Dale, is that neighbor of yours using the complete setup from the video or is he using a complete homegrown one with a Kärcher as HP pump?
If he really got several years out of the Kärcher pumping saltwater, that sounds remarkable to me.
Any chance you could verify the latter with him?
Thanks.
Hi, I just went and talked to Peter, he's been using it once a week for 18 mths as a full-time liveaboard. He told me he purchased the one with the aluminium pump, I think he said K4?

I haven't watched the utube so I can't say if it's the same. I've seen his setup, he has the same membrane setup as me (rainman) and has the Karcher as a complete unit in its plastic housing mounted next to them.

As I said, I have no idea how long it will last, all I know is he's using it, it works and it's been going for approximately 18 mths.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:14   #13
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 2,805
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi, I just went and talked to Peter, he's been using it once a week for 18 mths as a full-time liveaboard. He told me he purchased the one with the aluminium pump, I think he said K4?

I haven't watched the utube so I can't say if it's the same. I've seen his setup, he has the same membrane setup as me (rainman) and has the Karcher as a complete unit in its plastic housing mounted next to them.

As I said, I have no idea how long it will last, all I know is he's using it, it works and it's been going for approximately 18 mths.
Correction, he's using the 5.2 Karscher.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:23   #14
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Harlingen, The Netherlands
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 1,029
Re: Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Awesome answer.
Thanks for checking this.I wrote to Kärcher a while ago to get their view on pumping saltwater but never got a reply...
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:51   #15
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 21,973
Watermaker: High pressure pump selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Awesome answer.
Thanks for checking this.I wrote to Kärcher a while ago to get their view on pumping saltwater but never got a reply...


Assuming you fresh water flush the pump after every use, it will make it last much longer.
I do not think pumping salt water is as bad as allowing salt water to sit in it continuously.
However as inexpensive as they are, carry a spare
__________________

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pump, water, watermaker

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Watermaker high pressure pump and motor happyendings General Classifieds (no boats) 0 15-03-2017 16:35
[SOLD] GP High Pressure Pump For Reverse Osmosis watermaker DIY lucseawalker General Classifieds (no boats) 14 28-12-2016 02:40
Brass Watermaker High Pressure Pump sailorboy1 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 27 04-01-2016 10:26
Need Help with High-Pressure Line for Watermaker rigormortis Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 6 19-08-2011 22:49
Watermaker High Pressure Hose Length ? akio.kanemoto Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 16 11-08-2011 09:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.