Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 13:14   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
pirate Watermaker High Pressure Hose Length ?

Greetings Watermaker experts!

Quick question, I have all the bits and pieces for my watermaker - based off the Good Old Boat article. Using a CAT 247 pump, mounted on my engine with a clutch.

The issue is one of space, specifically for the membranes, the only place I can fit them is about 6m of high pressure hose length away, then the backpressure regulator will be another 2m of hose length away.

Is this a problem?

Thank you muchly!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 13:51   #2

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30
It shouldn't be if you use high quality HP hose. Your local Parker dealer can build your HP hose to size and supply the SS fittings. My 60 GPH system HP pump is 15 feet away from the membrane array and I have not had any problems.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 14:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodleoo View Post
It shouldn't be if you use high quality HP hose. Your local Parker dealer can build your HP hose to size and supply the SS fittings. My 60 GPH system HP pump is 15 feet away from the membrane array and I have not had any problems.
Thanks for that - should I increase the diameter of the hose at all?
Old 09-02-2011, 14:33   #4

Boat: Pearson 422 "Island Dream"
Send a message via AIM to CaptPatAg
Be sure to avoid chafe of the hose run that long. I had a vibration that put some scrapes in my hose. Next time I am going to run the HP hose through clear tubing before I make the run..Pat
CaptPatAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 14:42   #5

I'll be running it through split loom tube or somesuch to avoid chafe.
Old 09-02-2011, 15:37   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Be sure to buy HP hose suited for fresh water, not the black hydraulic hose. e.g. Parker S30 or S40 Parker - S30/S30B
Old 09-02-2011, 16:26   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Be sure to buy HP hose suited for fresh water, not the black hydraulic hose. e.g. Parker S30 or S40 Parker - S30/S30B

Good pick up Delmarrey. Many times this is another area a DIYer might miss.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 17:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

Thanks for the heads up - although since I'm in Australia and anything out of the ordinary is impossible to find, I may have some difficulty.

I know black hydraulic hose is available, don't know about water rated stuff.

What happens if you use the hydraulic version?
Old 09-02-2011, 17:38   #9

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30
1/2" should be fine. As noted stay away from Hydraulic hose. Your Parker distributor should be able to recommend a suitable hose for this application.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:01   #10

Hydraulic hose will give you that rubbery taste plus you'll be consuming plastic in your body.

Here are some WW distributors of Parker hose.
Parker Hose Supply

Registration Required And their list of products, you will have to register; Parker Hannifin / Fluid Connectors / Parflex Division Industrial Hose Data Sheets

And here is another hose that is only rated at 1500 psi. They may ship overseas. Hose by Application | Food Hose | Parker/Dayco Blue Ribbon Pressure Washer Hose (7247) | Parker / Dayco

Email or call, but be patient there is a high demand for industrial hose here........................_/)
Old 10-02-2011, 10:07   #11

And some OZ sites for Parker hose;

ENZED Australia - Products - Hoses, fittings, hydraulic hose

Parker Hoses & Fittings

contact us / Hose Mart - Parker Store

RivaSearch. parker hose in australia

sail on..............._/)
Old 16-02-2011, 13:01   #12

Thanks very much guys, I'll ring around and see what they want to charge.
Old 16-02-2011, 19:23   #13

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
My HP hoses are teflon with stainless outer braid. I understood these to be fairly common for watermakers. Any good hydraulic or Industrial Equipment shop can make these up. Stainless fittings will pit and I have had to replace a few of these. My original fittings were reusable stainless. These are now very hard to find. Good luck with your project. I am thinking of changing my system to engine driven rather than electric motor drive as it is now.
Old 10-08-2011, 18:50   #14

Re: Watermaker High Pressure Hose Length ?

OK, slight delay in reply.. have been very busy with other projects and now back to this one.

It appears that the S30 hose is an American designation and not carried in Australia according to the Parker distributor.

They instead told me that they recommend 520N hose (nylon lining, kevlar (!) reinforcement) and this is what they use for RO on boats (really suprized that they even knew of watermakers!)

..now the best part is.. the price:

6m of 1/2" hose + fittings... $1301.96!!! Ouch! There is another Enzed franchise I called as well and he mentioned something along the lines of $90/m + $200 for both fittings, which will be cheaper, but still.. ouch!

On another note - I have an HCTI membrane vessel - but in my ignorance, I didn't specify anything specific when ordering, so I received two sets of end caps marked 2551S and 2552S.

Both end cap models have permeate holes. But only the 2552S has a through-hole for the saltwater in/out. Since I will be connecting two vessels in series, I should have ordered 4 x 2552S caps. :\

Having said this, the 2551S has a 1/4" NPT hole drilled/tapped from the OUTSIDE of the cap, right in the middle, but it doesn't go all the way through... can I just take a drill and drill it the rest of the way and save $131?

One last question - when fitting the threaded fittings into the end caps (saltwater/hp), can I use plumbers/teflon tape or is there a magic high-pressure sealant that I need to use?

Thanks muchly in advance!
Old 10-08-2011, 23:19   #15

Re: Watermaker High Pressure Hose Length ?

If you're willing to hard plumb you could use SS tube or refrigeration copper tube. The fittings should be a bit less and the tube a lot less. You just have to get the bends right.

BTW- Teflon tape is generally for tapered threads (pipe) to prevent galling and add to the seal. Straight thread fittings use a lip seal of some sort, the threads are to just draw it tight, not seal.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3192.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	30360  

Tags
watermaker