Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 21:34   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Watermaker conserve and filter change

Not that I can think of. As long as you are using a 5 micron pleated filter you should be fine.
Get away from the proprietary parts game and never look back.

What I wouldn't do is skimp and use string wound or solid blown filters, they just don't have enough surface area and can cause pressure drop issues as they load up with particulates and they need to be changed more frequently than a good quality pleated filter element.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 21:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Not that I can think of. As long as you are using a 5 micron pleated filter you should be fine.
Get away from the proprietary parts game and never look back.

What I wouldn't do is skimp and use string wound or solid blown filters, they just don't have enough surface area and can cause pressure drop issues as they load up with particulates and they need to be changed more frequently than a good quality pleated filter element.
Great news thanks BTW I found some cheap ones for 35.00 for a case of 80 filters
Now all I need is to find a small 120ac motor that turns at 50 to 60 rpm
Old 06-11-2016, 01:31   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I remove my old dirty filter, then pickle it without a filter. In the summer, I drop in a new filter when I unpickle the system. So no filter in place when pickled.
for once Kenomac and I agree on something -- we use to pickle it with the filter in but now we pull the filter when we pickle and leave it off until we unpickle the system -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:01   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
for once Kenomac and I agree on something -- we use to pickle it with the filter in but now we pull the filter when we pickle and leave it off until we unpickle the system -
After reading Tellie's post I've changed my ways. Now I pickle with a new filter in place in order to prevent small pickling particles from getting stuck in the membrane. Or was that Rich's post?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:49   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
After reading Tellie's post I've changed my ways. Now I pickle with a new filter in place in order to prevent small pickling particles from getting stuck in the membrane. Or was that Rich's post?

Another reason to always use a new filter when you pickle your watermaker is that as watermakers get older the plumbing lines and internal parts exposed to water start to accumulate that familiar gunk on the inside of the hoses and the parts that lead to the membrane. Most pickling agents will have a cleaning effect as well. Without a filter in place that gunk starts to break free during the pickling process and certainly as it sits for an extended period of time in the pickling solution. Without a filter your membrane is the only filter in place while all this gunk is circulating in and out and the membrane will do a great job of collecting all that gunk the pre-filter should have caught.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:03   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

On the subject of pre-filters. It reminds me of when I used to ride motorcycles. New riders would spend thousands of dollars on a new bike but then would be surprised balk at the cost of a good helmet. We would say "If you have a ten dollar head, buy a ten dollar helmet." Pre-filters are the consumable part of any watermaker. It amazes me people will spend thousands of dollars for a beautiful watermaker then try to find the cheapest piece of crap pre-filter to save two bucks. Get off your wallet every now and then and buy what the manufacturer of your watermaker recommends. Unless of course you have a two dollar watermaker, then buy two dollar filters.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:51   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

As long as I'm at it. Charcoal filters. They all look alike but they are not all the same. Every year I get a few customers who love to tell me (many times preach to me and anyone that will listen) that watermakers are constant trouble and they all break down. Here are the three main reasons good watermakers break down, 1) Bad installations 2) Lack of care 3) Incorrect replacement parts.
Look, I like to eat and have a roof over my head, so does my family, so I make a few extra bucks on parts. But my advice, take it or leave it, is free.
Short, but common story... A customer complains that his system after three years is making less water when he recommissions it each season. Sure enough I go out and the system is indeed making less water and lower pressures. Takes me about three minutes to figure out the problem is the high pressure pump. I open it up and sure enough the cylinders are scored beyond repair. Usually a sign that cheap or over used pre-filters have been used. "What pre-filters do you use I ask" He breaks out his box of spares and filters to show me and there it is, Home Depot charcoal filters. "Were did you get these?" I ask. He said "J.T., I did my online research and found that charcoal filters are not as expensive as you wanted to charge me. These were only $6.95 each. A lot less than yours so I bought eight of them" So, as I have done in the past, I remove his current charcoal filter handed it to him in one hand and gave him one of my perceived way over priced charcoal filters to hold in the other. "Squeeze them" I said. "See how yours are crunchy feeling and mine are not?" He was using granulated charcoal filters meant for residential water filtration. Right on the label it says to run water through it for fifteen minutes until the water runs clear and there is no carbon residue left before consuming water. All that black stuff they are referring to is carbon which happens to make for a great cutting agent, and which with each recommission you just ran through your $3,600 dollar replacement HP pump that at one time was warrantied to you for as long as you owned it. Warrantied if you took both the manuals and my free advice to use the recommended charcoal filter. A $1,300 UN-warrantied repair. I really don't take pleasure in the old adage "Pay me now or pay me later" But sometimes old adages have been around for a long time for good reason.

Tags
water, watermaker