Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 12:41   #1

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro
Watermaker basic questions

I found many threads about WM but not of those matters ....

I am in the process to select the watermaker, approx 60 l/h (16 gal/), for my Lucia 40.

I am in the learning stage. After long searches, readings,etc. about the best system, manufacturer and "cost", I have some basic questions, not really answered previously, I would submit to this very educated forum ( I am a prof. mechanical eng., new to this forum and is very surprised by the high knowledge level we find here, and hope I will be able to "return mine to others" in the next years).

The basic questions before selecting a product :

1 - type of pump : I found there are 2 types of high pressure pumps : a) rotating with multiple pistons on a crank shaft, b) piston intensifiers ...
Which one is the most reliable type ? Energy needs ?

2 - noise : which type give the most silent watermaker. I saw a youtube video of a piston intensifiers pump VERY NOISY, with a constant klunk-klunk, I don't want to ear that for 1-2 hours, are all system of this type the same.

Are the rotating type more silent ? I do prefer a little constant HUM than a KLUNK-KLUNK during one hour.

3 - controls : I am very concerned by the fact that a sailing catamaran even lightly charter operated, will have maintenance problem. We will be live-aboard 6 months/year and the rest in charter for 13 over 26 weeks/year, so is it better to completely shut-down, and disconnect the watermaker during the charter period ? or buy one with "automatic flushing/maintenance controls". I am questionning the maintenance of the charter operator... they have so much to do with the "rest"...

Are those "automatic controls" reliable ?
If operated only by us, is a fully manual is enough ?

4 - manufacturer : Is there any problem with buying a European watermaker (Aqua-Base, Schenker, etc... ) for a cat sailing in the US East coast and Bahamas ? Spare parts problem ?

5 - cruising areas : For the Bahamas OK no problem with the water quality, but in the Chesapeake Bay ... what is the water quality ? is it better to refill in marinas (the watermaker would be OFF) ?
Old 09-11-2017, 13:55   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)
Re: Watermaker basic questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post

3 - controls : I am very concerned by the fact that a sailing catamaran even lightly charter operated, will have maintenance problem. We will be live-aboard 6 months/year and the rest in charter for 13 over 26 weeks/year, so is it better to completely shut-down, and disconnect the watermaker during the charter period ? or buy one with "automatic flushing/maintenance controls". I am questionning the maintenance of the charter operator... they have so much to do with the "rest"...

Are those "automatic controls" reliable ?
If operated only by us, is a fully manual is enough ?

4 - manufacturer : Is there any problem with buying a European watermaker (Aqua-Base, Schenker, etc... ) for a cat sailing in the US East coast and Bahamas ? Spare parts problem ?

5 - cruising areas : For the Bahamas OK no problem with the water quality, but in the Chesapeake Bay ... what is the water quality ? is it better to refill in marinas (the watermaker would be OFF) ?

Dunno about 1 & 2, but here’s the rest of them:

3. Whether you go with manual or automatic controls, I would disconnect the watermaker when chartering anyway. Manual is fine for yourself as long as you know what to do. The automatic controls on my Dessalator are very reliable. I build up the pressure manually and then it automatically starts working when it gets there, switches off automatically in case of loss or over pressure, and flushes automatically when I manually end the cycle by turning the pressure off.

4. I think getting spare parts wouldn’t be much more problematic than in Europe, except that they would have to go through customs. Some countries like Brazil will charge 100% custom duties, others will charge 0% if you label the parcel for a “ship in transit.” Since a watermaker is not critical equipment, you might very well just fly the parts over yourself at your earliest opportunity. The membranes and hoses and such should be readily available in most countries, it’s only the parts for the pumps and the electronics that you have to worry about.

5. Only use your watermaker in (1) clean (2) seawater. Don't use it in fresh water and not even in brackish water, you may blow the membranes. Of course the water must be clean, meaning free of chemical pollutants and of small particles such as silt in suspension. An estuary, like the Chesapeake Bay, generally has both the silt and the brackish water so don’t use it in there.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 20:47   #3

2big2small,
Thank you to confirm my thoughts on watermaker and charter. As most of the charter will be done in Cheasapeske area... OK I will shut-down completely.
On order from France I will buy a complete replacement kit.
Old 09-11-2017, 21:30   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

In your situation I would consider a portable Rainman watermaker. Easy to place into storage during charter operations.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 15:43   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What kind of "charter operations", bareboat or fully crewed?

Water makers prefer to be used, but you dont want one for bareboat use, as it needs to be properly operated and maintained.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 15:51   #6

Yes pathless. Learning deeper about WM this is the way I will buy. A basic manual WM completely shut-down during bareboat charter... I am even trying to figure how to make it definitively only restarted by myself... because some "educated" skippers could have the idea to try. Becoming paranoiac ! ;-)
Old 10-11-2017, 19:07   #7

Do you have a generator on board?
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 19:45   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
Do you have a generator on board?
Their you go! Question number 1 will make a big difference in the direction people will suggest.

Matt
Old 10-11-2017, 19:48   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
In your situation I would consider a portable Rainman watermaker. Easy to place into storage during charter operations.

And you can get a brackish waster gauge to help govern its use in brackish water!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 20:27   #10

Yes I have a 7.5kW genset
Old 10-11-2017, 20:28   #11

About question 1 no comments yet
Old 10-11-2017, 21:04   #12

Boat: islandpacket

Check out Spectra, very quiet. With pre filters ok for brackish water.
Old 10-11-2017, 21:20   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

With a 7.5kw gen, get the biggest AC watermaker you can and enjoy living life like a king. You don't need the power savings of a regenerative/intensifier pump DC unit..... the cost of which is much higher than an AC unit.

Only piece of advice... find one with no proprietary parts.

Matt
Old 10-11-2017, 21:22   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
About question 1 no comments yet
with genset like that cat pumps like rich uses in his watermakers.
Yacht & Boat Water Maker by Cruise RO Water & Power
Aka. SV third day. On here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...+day-3180.html
Shoot him a pm with your questions
Old 10-11-2017, 22:43   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Check out Spectra, very quiet. With pre filters ok for brackish water.
Unless these prefilters are adding salt to the water I don’t see how they could handle brackish water. You’re probably confusing with filters that remove particles, such as a 5 micron physical filter that will prevent any dirt larger than that to go through.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker