Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 15:22   #1

Boat: Simpson Cat 38'
Watermaker

Hi all,

I am looking at a new water maker Does any one know anything about a company in California called Cruise RO Water and Power.

Any information about companies and suppliers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
ceedee1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 15:28   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Watermaker

I highly recommend Rich at cruiserowater. Good product with good support.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 15:38   #3
F51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee1108 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking at a new water maker Does any one know anything about a company in California called Cruise RO Water and Power.

Any information about companies and suppliers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
CruiseRO watermakers are high-capacity, simple and rugged. They use Common Off-The-Shelf parts, so you are not locked to the mfr for repair parts. Rich Boren is a cruiser like us and gives great customer service. i highly recommend their product.

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever with the company except as a satisfied customer.

Gil aboard TRUTHSAYER
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 15:40   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

You are about to learn that Rich (the owner of CruiseRO) is an active member and I'm sure he will be along soon.

Personally I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about his products.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 16:34   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I bought a unit from Rich last year and his support and additional help consolidating shipments was excellent
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:09   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

With a performance cat, wouldn't you want a watermaker that didn't require a generator to be run?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:13   #7
CF Adviser

Rich supplied a unit with a DC high pressure pump so that I do not need to depend on running gen to make water
Old 10-01-2015, 04:17   #8

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser

I just finished installing the 30 GPH unit and it performs as advertised. Great customer support from Rich.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:23   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser View Post
I just finished installing the 30 GPH unit and it performs as advertised.
Lucky you. We installed one of their 30GPH units and it has never put out less than 33.5 gph. Most of the time it puts out 35gph.

We have never got it to run to spec.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
With a performance cat, wouldn't you want a watermaker that didn't require a generator to be run?
Depends. With a high-output unit like they sell, one doesn't need to store a large amount of water or keep a larger reserve in the tank. This weight savings far outstrips the weight of a Honda generator.

A Honda generator also weighs less than the solar panels and/or windgens that are required to run a DC watermaker and still have enough to recharge the daily battery draw.

Not to mention a single extra battery that may be needed to support a DC watermaker weighs more than a Honda generator.

The DC version of CRO's system rarely makes sense. Neither does any other DC system except for Spectra. The amps/gallon of water is just too high and you will find yourself running a generator or engine just to make water anyway.

Been there, done that, saw the light.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:35   #11

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Depends. With a high-output unit like they sell, one doesn't need to store a large amount of water or keep a larger reserve in the tank. This weight savings far outstrips the weight of a Honda generator.

A Honda generator also weighs less than the solar panels and/or windgens that are required to run a DC watermaker and still have enough to recharge the daily battery draw.

Not to mention a single extra battery that may be needed to support a DC watermaker weighs more than a Honda generator.

The DC version of CRO's system rarely makes sense. Neither does any other DC system except for Spectra. The amps/gallon of water is just too high and you will find yourself running a generator or engine just to make water anyway.

Been there, done that, saw the light.

Mark

Mark is correct, water is heavy. On my first cat I had a spectra, but on my last two have switched to ac systems, the latest from cruiseRo. It's much faster to travel with almost empty tanks and make 30 gph for the last few hours before entering a dirty harbor. Depending on your tankage, you to could be traveling with 800 less lbs less weight. Another advantage is water making takes place for an hour every morning in combination with charging battery's, making coffee and toast etc.. Then it's done and your free to go exploring, not waiting for the water maker to be finished, or leaving it running to come back later in the day to find the tanks overflowing.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:18   #12

Boat: Oyster 53

Rich Boren not only sells watermakers, he saves marriages.

Our old SeaFresh watermaker (name and shame, baby, name and shame) was the most hated piece of equipment on the boat. It was so unreliable and parts (often needed) so expensive that it began to affect my marriage. Needless to say, last year I deep-sixed the thing (the watermaker, not the wife) and came crying to Rich for help.

Rich set me up with a 220V 30 gph watermaker with one membrane instead of the old crappy one with three membranes. I was able to keep my original pump but swapped out everything else. The result was a simple, cost effective system, that makes beautiful water to spec and will probably exceed specs once we hit warmer water.

I'm happy, the wife is smiling again and I highly recommend Rich and his services at Cruiser RO Water.

Dhillen
Old 10-01-2015, 07:18   #13
CF Adviser

Quote:

Mark
I looked at it from a different perspective Mark.

My goal was to still make water without the absolute need to run the generator ...(especially underway)

Being a mono, my gen on the stbd side would heel too much on a hard pressed port tack for my comfort zone to want to run it

Since I have a large house bank I prefer to use my 4 charging options to feed the 24v system with motorsailing obviously being the largest charge vehicle.

I have a main engine alternator that is regulated to deliver at 1,000 rpm 145 amps@24v

With an AC motor you are dependent on your lone Generator working to make water.... I am not!

Different strokes!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I looked at it from a different perspective Mark.

My goal was to still make water without the absolute need to run the generator ...(especially underway)

Being a mono, my gen on the stbd side would heel too much on a hard pressed port tack for my comfort zone to want to run it

Since I have a large house bank I prefer to use my 4 charging options to feed the 24v system with motorsailing obviously being the largest charge vehicle.

I have a main engine alternator that is regulated to deliver at 1,000 rpm 145 amps@24v

With an AC motor you are dependent on your lone Generator working to make water.... I am not!

Different strokes!
Yes, I said it rarely makes sense. Cases like yours are the rare one. But I bet you can't argue that a Spectra would make even more sense for a DC system (except for price).

FWIW, we can run ours through the inverter and either of our alternators (one on each engine) easily keeps up with the power draw. I guess those are options B and C.

Option D is to borrow a Honda generator for two hours from another boat in the anchorage in exchange for 30 gallons of water (we seem to be the only boat in the world without one of these Hondas).

Heck, I just bartered 10 gallons of water for a loaf of fresh bread.

Option E is to buy a Honda generator.

Mark

Old 10-01-2015, 08:29   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Lucky you. We installed one of their 30GPH units and it has never put out less than 33.5 gph. Most of the time it puts out 35gph.

We have never got it to run to spec.

Mark
HA HA!!!!!!
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
You are about to learn that Rich (the owner of CruiseRO) is an active member and I'm sure he will be along soon.

Personally I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about his products.
But have you seen him dance??? Me neither... But if the rumors are true...

ceedee... There are other watermaker mfg's out there... If you want to avoid the very best customer service... go with one of them...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker