Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2018, 10:28   #16

Re: Water usage meter - usual tank guages won't work on my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
I am going to give you very good advice!!!!! I've been down this road and have looked at all the available systems including the Vetus, Hart and Osculati brands. I am a pilot and have a Stratomaster Velocity FF3 fuel gauge in my aircraft. I installed 3 into my yacht for my water and fuel last year. You cannot achieve a better quality installation. See MGL Avionics go to Products, Velocity singles and view the Stratomaster FF3 gauge. These gauges are exported and are used in the very best twin engine aircraft globally. Then , to top it off, best of all is the price. Get a price from the manufacturer but I guess they are about R2500 x 12 US is around 208 US. You calibrate it to suit your tank, even if your tank is a triangle, it will record 100% accurately to aircraft spec. Aviation quality and specification. Been there, done it, 100% happy. One gauge measures two tanks. You will need to install a tank sender. I installed a Vetus unit.

Regards
Mike
I agree, this is good advice. The FF3 will measure differential flow (in and out) and calculate the tank level without a level sender. It will also display in liters and run on 24V, which the OP asked for.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 11:09   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473

I have two tanks on my boat, so I decided to install a normal household inline water meter. The installation point was downline from the manifold and the water pump. I then found a self-contained digital totalizer with a built-in lithium battery that will last for 5 years. I installed the remote unit through a bulkhead wall close to the water meter and attached its lead to the meter. It doesn't count down it only counts up, but you can reset it to 0. So all you need to do is just know when it reads 40 for the 40 gallon tank you need to switch over your tanks reset it to zero and let it run until your 55 gallon tank is empty. My only complaint about it is when the tank is empty and air is being pumped through the line, the internal impeller goes Haywire and starts showing up as hundreds of gallons of water. But I know when that happens I obviously have an empty tank. I'm sorry I can't remember the manufacturer's name. I just did a lot of searching on the internet. It's currently you on my boat that's for sale in San Diego but I'm on another boat down in Acapulco so I can't really look or take a picture of such.
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 11:38   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Mike

Amazon.com search "water flow meter" you get all kinds and all prices.
I am thinking of getting this one to install in-line permanently right after the tank:

https://www.amazon.com/Turbine-Digit...ter+flow+meter
This one looks great Tatia. Thanks . I recall seeing this in my Amazon search, but dismissed it too quickly b/c I saw “diesel” in the top line. I love the fact that it’s easily reset, and runs on AAA batteries.

Do you know if it automatically senses flow and starts measuring? This is the question I had with the other garden hose version I was asking about. It’s a little unclear whether this garden hose one needs to be switched on first before it will count. I’m trying to confirm this question about the K24 you reference. If it automatically starts once it feels water flow, then it looks perfect.

The other ones look really good, but for my needs, they seem like overkill.
Old 26-01-2018, 19:35   #19

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks! Great minds thing alike I guess .

One quick question: Does it automatically turn on when it senses water flow? Or do you have to turn it on manually before using it? I notice it automatically turns itself off after 30 minutes of sensing no-flow.

What I’d like to do is plumb it into the outflow line so I can have an idea of how much water remains over time. Our tank is about 800 litres (~200 gallons).
Hi Mike,

On the one we have you just press one of the two buttons to activate the display if water hasn't been run withing the last half hour or so. [It takes more than one button press to change a setting or reset the meter...]

Or as you mentioned, run a short burst of water...

I installed ours on the potable pump outfeed [pressure] side. I installed it using garden hose fittings, so it is quick to remove and reassemble the plumbing without the meter in place if ever necessary...

This is in our engine room, so it is just another item I check when performing a preflight...

I used this cheap meter as a proof-of-concept... It worked; I'm convinced a meter is a great way to go. Now if this one would just fail so I could spend more money...

Cheers! Bill
Old 27-01-2018, 11:56   #20

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

How about a sight glass, but calibrate it with one of those cheap garden hose meters? Drain the tank completely, run ten gallons thru the meter, mark the wall next to the sight glass, repeat.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:00   #21

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
I'm a fan of the Hart Systems "Tank Tender". Brilliantly simple, absolutely reliable, very accurate, and excellent customer service and support.

Big second for Hart.

Expensive but no electrical
Old 11-02-2018, 21:53   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
This one looks great Tatia. Thanks . I recall seeing this in my Amazon search, but dismissed it too quickly b/c I saw “diesel” in the top line. I love the fact that it’s easily reset, and runs on AAA batteries.

Do you know if it automatically senses flow and starts measuring? This is the question I had with the other garden hose version I was asking about. It’s a little unclear whether this garden hose one needs to be switched on first before it will count. I’m trying to confirm this question about the K24 you reference. If it automatically starts once it feels water flow, then it looks perfect.

The other ones look really good, but for my needs, they seem like overkill.
Mine automatically resets and requires no batteries...

Old 11-02-2018, 22:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Mine automatically resets and requires no batteries...
Thanks. If I could figure out a way to install a simple sight gauge of some sort, that would be my preferred option.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:50   #24

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
...Do you know if it automatically senses flow and starts measuring? ...
I asked the vendor and the answer was:
"Dear customer, after the product is installed, it's in the dormant state. When there is flow, it will enter the working state from hibernation and start recording data."

I assume that after installation and if there is no water flow, the unit will be dormant until it senses flows again....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I asked the vendor and the answer was:
"Dear customer, after the product is installed, it's in the dormant state. When there is flow, it will enter the working state from hibernation and start recording data."

I assume that after installation and if there is no water flow, the unit will be dormant until it senses flows again....
Thanks Tatia. That’s great to confirm. The one negative I’ve come across with these devices seems to be the connection spigots. They appear to be sized to BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads, not NPT that are the norm in North America. Probably could find a connector that works, but might be an issue…

I also just heard back from the vendor on this one. They also confirm it will auto-start once the water starts flowing. No need to push any button to start the count.

And now I’ve found another inexpensive, similar option:

Old 12-02-2018, 18:02   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mike, I think you nailed it and the only niggle is "That ain't FDA approved for drinking water." It wouldn't keep me up at night though.

Having a day tank mounted under the deck, gravity fed, allows everything to be "calibrated" at convenient times, i.e. when the boat is flat and the tanks manually checked or filled. And a reserve against leaks or other problems. So, not a bad idea in any case.

Rigging a sight tube should be simple, some 1/4" Tygon or poly tubing can almost always be added in someplace, right?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, water