Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59   #1

Boat: Custom, 35' Sloop - Privateer II
Water Tanks...Upgrading to Drinkable Water

The boat we are looking at purchasing has its original water holding tank under the V-Berth... which is basically 40 gallons of water sitting in the original fiberglass of which the boat was built in 1973. I wouldn't drink the water from it. My research tells me a plastic liner can be installed at a reasonable price, however, there are not many good comments about this product. I would prefer a stainless steel tank myself, but not sure it it is possible to add one under the VBerth. Has anyone had any experience in upgrading their water tank on their boats?

CyberKitty
cyberkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i havent changed them out--if isnt leaking what i do is rinse it out well using a hose and clorox--let the clorox sit in tank for a couple of hours--i use 1 quart for the tank---then i rinse while running the water constantly--fill and rinse--until is empty.
then i fill my tank and use it after the water no longer smells like clorox. i also use a purification type filter--there are a few--preferably the inline under sink kind--may be found in rv stores----and i am able to drink my tank water.....goood luck---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:28   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If there is no inspection port, install one. Then scrub it out, bleach it, and use it. Older fiberglass is arguably better than anything (plastic) new, because ay plasticizers or other toxins will have leached out long ago.

That's assuming it is a drinking water tank. A holding tank is for sewage, not drinking water.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 19:14   #4

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
The under sink filter unit to consider is called a seagull it will even filter out chlorine so if you are in an area with so so water you can add some chlorine to tank I have used these units for years and when used for potable water only a filter element will last 6 months to a year
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 19:23   #5

Does that filter restrict flow? The filters for home that go on your kitchen faucet are very restrictive
promax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 20:55   #6

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
yes it is usually used with a separate foot or hand pump-defenatly not a firehose-how much potable water do you need at your gally sink -this is not for whole water system
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:49   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I carry 1500 gals in steel tanks that are painted on the inside and filled with rainwater regularly and a separate 325 gal plastic farm tank with municipal water. I can't honestly taste the difference, it's all good. I used to add a little bleach now and then but don't bother any more. But I'm also one of those people that don't get sick eating street food in faraway lands. Your bowels will let you know real quick if you've got a problem, so if they're not talking to you, don't worry about it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 14:16   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Once you clean out your tanks thoroughly and fill them with fresh good water give them a taste test. If it tastes a bit like old fiberglass then drain the tank. Clean and dry them and put a coat or two of two part epoxy paint on the inside, let it cure and fill them again. The funny taste should be gone.
Good luck. Nothing wrong with old fiberglass tanks unless they leak.
regards,