Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 20:16   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
I am currently installing a polyethylene 160 litre holding tank.

Cost $480 (I picked it up), including hose connections, and took 10 days from Wrengco Tanks.

It would have cost me close to that much to build the tank myself.
Maybe it's too late for you, but if you need any more tanks, comparison shop Wrengco with Atlas tanks www.atlastanks.com.au .

Looks like a very similar product, but I got a 250 litre drinking water tank for around $550 from them. It was a stock size though, your's may have been a custom one.

If I get any more tanks made I will certainly be comparing Wrengco's prices with Atlas'. There might be "haggling amunition" to be had.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 20:12   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Custom...

Mine was custom, but then they only do custom.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 20:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
The plastic tanks I have have clean out ports. If they were large enough to need them, baffles could have been built in too. I don't know where passagemaker magazine got their info from.
If you are talking about roto-molded tanks, it is not possible to include real baffles, due to the way they are built. Some have relatively small ridges built in, which the manufacturers call baffles, but I think they are useless.

I suppose a roto-molded tank could be cut open at the top and a plastic baffle could be inserted, but I would be concerned that this would reduce overall strength, add expense, etc. etc. If baffles are necessary, I'd go with fabrication by either stainless or plywood/GRP.

I'm probably going to use either high quality stainless or possibly smaller roto-molded tanks installed next to one another.

(on edit: I see the Vetus tanks do have more substantial baffles built in. They appear to be adequate as baffles, and cleverly done. But the Vetus size and shape selection is very limited. I will contact them to see if they plan to offer a larger selection. There is a roto-molded tank manufacturer in California that has a much larger selection... I'll also be contacting them to see if they can modify their baffle design to the Vetus type.)
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote