Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2007, 05:34   #16

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
In an article on fuel tank design in the current issue of "Passagemaker magazine"(August 07) it was mentioned that plastic tanks will not support clean out ports. Something that I didn't know before. They also can not be built with baffles, so if your tanks are quite large that is a consideration. Also, plastic tanks must be fully supported on the bottom.

Edit: of course these considerations would also affect water tanks. I think clean out ports are even more necessary in a water tank.
Some of these Vetus water tank's have a baffle, still not really enough IMHO, but it stiffen's the tank and is a baffle

There is also a port kit for them [ I think]

Vetus Marine - 2005 Product Catalog

Old 29-07-2007, 14:07   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sean, I think the connections between alu and alzheimers were actually DISproved some time ago. But since bleach is still the common way to shock and disinfect tanks, and alu doesn't mix well with bleach, I wouldn't use alu tanks for the fresh water.

I get the strong hunch that Alzheimers will eventually be connected to something terribly simple but terribly pervasive--like flouride in the water, chlorine in the water, artificial sweeteners...something where the problem turns out to be so huge and "simple" that we're all aghast.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 16:35   #18

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I don't believe that alzheiners is a cause for concern (but take what I am about to say with the caveat that I am neither a chemist nor a medical professional):

It is my understanding that although there is a link between aluminium intake and alzheimers, there is not currently any link between the use of aluminium storage vessels, or indeed cooking vessels and the intake of aluminium. The bottom line is that in order to get the aluminium into you, it has to get into the water and it just doesn't disslove into the water that easily.

When I was at University, a girlfriend at the time was doing a masters in environmental chemistry that involved trying to get aluminium to leach out of cooking pots by boiling things in them (ok, that is probably a gross oversimplification, but you get the idea). The bottom line was that there was nothing in the normal range of cooking procedures / foods that caused measurable leaching of aluminium from the cooking pot.

I would not be concerned about alzheimers and aluminium water tanks. Of course, there may be other causes of concern, but not alzheimers.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 03:39   #19

Wayalan,you probably are correct.But what I think was the concern of Ally pots and pans was stiring said pots with metal implements and also scouring of said pots and pans.It does tend to soften the outer layers of ally pots and hence would put small amounts of ally into your food.Simply boiling within these pots dosen't create the problem.

If people can taste Alluminium in beer thats in cans after cracking one open,then I would consider that proof that ally isn't the best medium to contain ones water.Then again there are more chemicals in beer to react to the ally.Even water inside plastic's have a taste of their own.Each to their own I guess.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 04:46   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A custom-built aluminum water tank might prove more expensive than a commercial poly tank.

Other than the potential problems with chlorination, I wouldn’t worry about the health impacts of aluminum tankage.

There is circumstantial evidence* linking aluminum with Alzheimer's disease, but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminum seems increasingly unlikely. The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings, to date, do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminum and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made - at least at present.

* The 'aluminum hypothesis' was first put forward in 1965 when it was shown that the injection of aluminum compounds into rabbits caused tangle-like formations in nerve cells. However, these experimental tangles differ in structure and composition from Alzheimer tangles in the human brain.

If you use uncoated aluminum cookware, be aware that the longer the food is cooked or stored in this cookware the more it will get into the food. Salty, highly basic, or acidic foods like citrus products tomato sauce, rhubarb, sauerkraut or leafy vegetables absorb aluminum more easily. Avoid storing these cooked foods in uncoated aluminum. Anodization reduces leaching of aluminum from cookware into foods

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:03   #21

Boat: now floating easy37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
A custom-built aluminum water tank might prove more expensive than a commercial poly tank.
only if you have to pay someone else to build it, would 2mm be suitable or would 3mm be better
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:38   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Custom Poly Tank...

I am currently installing a polyethylene 160 litre holding tank.

Cost $480 (I picked it up), including hose connections, and took 10 days from Wrengco Tanks.

It would have cost me close to that much to build the tank myself.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz
This one kinda looks like it's got a clean-out!

Tek-Tanks - Custom made or standard fit water, waste and fuel tanks
I'd love to add a cleanout port like those in this picture to my water and holding tanks. Has anyone seen retrofit "kits" for these anywhere?
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:14   #24

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
There seem to be 18 screws on those clean out ports - best make sure the electric screwdriver is charged or you could be in for some very sore arms!

Surely there is a better way to get the required seal?

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 13:20   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Patrick-
I'm guessing the mob of screws is there because they ensure a solid contact, even with the tank flexing. The alternative would be a more rigid tank ($) or some type of reinforcing ring bonding to the tank.
Old 07-08-2007, 14:24   #26

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1965
I'd love to add a cleanout port like those in this picture to my water and holding tanks. Has anyone seen retrofit "kits" for these anywhere?
Have a look in that Vetus link under inspection ports ^^^^^^^ up where the green tanks are.

Dont have 18 screws either.

Dave
Old 07-08-2007, 15:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Have a look in that Vetus link under inspection ports ^^^^^^^ up where the green tanks are.

Dont have 18 screws either.

Dave
Awesome. I just ordered one of the drinking water clean out kits to check it out...

Thanks!
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 16:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Other than the potential problems with chlorination, I wouldn’t worry about the health impacts of aluminum tankage.
What happens to aluminium tanks when chlorine is added to the water?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 16:41   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Aluminum will dissolve in both acids and bases. In the case of ammonia and bleach (do not mix them together, that reaction product is toxic) the product is going to be a complex aluminum oxide/hydroxide/chloride depending upon the reaction conditions. This disrupts the integrity of the foil causing it to fall apart. "
Bleach and Aluminum Foil

Might as well take a shotgun to the tank, and get the pinholes all installed at the same time.
Old 07-08-2007, 20:08   #30

Chlorine bleach is possibly the most commonly used way to clean a water tank, so that could be a worry.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote