Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 02:16   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
water tank guage

My boat has two water tanks. It has a nifty littl flow meter that shows the number of liters used..it can be reset to zero. I've now installed a watermaker but the only way I can tell when the tanks are full is by checking the overflow vent. I've looked in the WM catalog for some sort of a guage but found nothing. It seems to me that some years back I saw an ad for a guage that was applied to the exterior of the tank..Anyone know of a solution? Note..I do not want to cut into the tanks. Thanks.
bottleinamessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Google:
< ultrasonic level gauge >, < non-contact gauge >, or < liquid level gauge >.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Tank Tender uses a thin plastic tube to establish a vertical column of air inside the tank. From the panel you pump to remove all the liquid in the column then it relevels itself to measure the inches in the tank based on the air pressure difference in the tube. The air displaced exterts presure read from a guage. It's up to you to convert inches to the % full. On a regualr shaped tank it's simple but can be calibrated to any shape tank.

There are no wires or electrical connections used on anything. You only have to route the tubing from the meter to the tank. Anything else will require electrical connections and electrcicity to read the guage.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:24   #4

Boat: Morgan OI 414
What I have that works great is just a see through tube connected to the outlet on the bottom of the tank to above the top of the tank. The exact water level can be seen through the tube. I have water level marks marked on the tube to show me the gallons in the tank.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote