Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 02:16   #1
Registered User
bottleinamessage's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Part time C.L.O.D in Velcro Beach
Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Posts: 251
water tank guage

My boat has two water tanks. It has a nifty littl flow meter that shows the number of liters can be reset to zero. I've now installed a watermaker but the only way I can tell when the tanks are full is by checking the overflow vent. I've looked in the WM catalog for some sort of a guage but found nothing. It seems to me that some years back I saw an ad for a guage that was applied to the exterior of the tank..Anyone know of a solution? Note..I do not want to cut into the tanks. Thanks.

bottleinamessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:05   #2
Senior Cruiser
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 36,100
Images: 241
< ultrasonic level gauge >, < non-contact gauge >, or < liquid level gauge >.

Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Pblais's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hayes, VA
Boat: Gozzard 36
Posts: 8,700
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Tank Tender uses a thin plastic tube to establish a vertical column of air inside the tank. From the panel you pump to remove all the liquid in the column then it relevels itself to measure the inches in the tank based on the air pressure difference in the tube. The air displaced exterts presure read from a guage. It's up to you to convert inches to the % full. On a regualr shaped tank it's simple but can be calibrated to any shape tank.

There are no wires or electrical connections used on anything. You only have to route the tubing from the meter to the tank. Anything else will require electrical connections and electrcicity to read the guage.
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:24   #4
Registered User
Inthewind's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charlotte harbor, FL
Boat: Morgan OI 414
Posts: 251
What I have that works great is just a see through tube connected to the outlet on the bottom of the tank to above the top of the tank. The exact water level can be seen through the tube. I have water level marks marked on the tube to show me the gallons in the tank.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydrostatic (kluge) tank level guage Pleiades Engines and Propulsion Systems 5 02-06-2007 22:46
More tank, or water maker? MysticGringo Monohull Sailboats 28 22-12-2006 08:48
Water tank conversion Jentine Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 23-11-2006 09:03
Leaking Water Tank alanperry Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 06-08-2006 21:10
Fresh water tank leak lannen Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 09-10-2003 17:55

Advertise Here

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.