Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 10:01   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Water tank gauge recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have the Wema on our water tank and the US Marine unit on our fuel tank. I hate the Wema, and the US Marine one is adequate. We originally had Centroid senders on both tanks and they worked perfectly. Until they didn't. After replacing them ($$) twice over 5 years, I changed to the present ones.

The problem with the reed switch senders is that they do not show continuous volume - rather, they "jump" from one level to the next as each reed switch is activated. Our tanks are only 11" tall, so we only have a few reed switches in the senders. The Wema seems to only have 4-5, so we jump 1/4 tank at a time. This is annoying - particularly when filling the tanks or when on 1/4 tank, where you don't know how close to the top or bottom you actually are. The US Marine seems to have 7-8 switches, which is much better.

The Centroid was a smooth, continuous, accurate reading - right down to the last drop.

Mark
+1

We have Wema and it is carp.

For those who don't have access for a sight tube, the two top choices, neither cheap, unfortunately, would be the magnificent electricity-free bullet-proof Tank Tender system, or, for the more networked boat, the Maretron ultrasonic N2K setup. I am planning to replace my Wema gauges with the latter some time this summer.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 10:01   #17

I've been using the Gobius (Swedish) Tank Indicator for my plastic waste tank for about two years now. No problem so far. It does use a sound system to locate the fullness of the tank which takes a few seconds. But it does work and hasn't failed me yet.

My Hunter 27 has a fifteen gallon waste tank so I NEED to know how full it is.
Moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 10:15   #18

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I just installed 4 tank gauges and sensors , 2 diesel and 2 water , all Wema , that are 316 stainless and are very simple. time will tell if they last , if they don't they are very easy to pop in a new sender unit . I love checking all my levels at a glance and not having to lift floor boards .
I've had WEMA senders in my two fuel tanks and my water tank for more than three years now and they are working perfectly. I highly recommend them.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssidweb060511.gif
Views:	303
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	102207  
Old 16-05-2015, 10:35   #19

We simply use a 2 tank system. When we switch to the 2nd tank, it's time to fill the 1st one - turn on the water maker. We seldom run out of water. For fuel we just log engine hours and know how much we are burning - simple, cost $0.
billburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 10:47   #20

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

I upgraded about a year and a half ago to the SCAD system. This is an electronic monitoring system with no moving parts. The tank level display has 10 step graduation compared to WEMA's 4. Relatively easy install and very easy calibration. Pleased to report no issues during the past year and a half. Your results my vary.

Background:
I had WEMA senders and gauges in my holding tanks (2) and water tanks (3) and had VDO gauges for fuel tanks (2). Additionally, I had a TankTender system on the water and fuel tanks. Had 6-each separate gauges in 2 different compartments.

The holding tank senders (round plastic float on a vertical stainless rod frequently stuck and had to be removed to clean them up. One of the water tank senders (similar design concept as the holding tank sender) failed. The Tank Tender system was occasionally erratic. It improved after I replaced 100' plus of tubing and cleaning and lubing the valves, but was still a bit erratic. Additionally, a large amount of panel space was used for this hodge-podge and the holding tank sensor issues drove my desire for change.

Sight gauges were not a reasonable option due to the boat design and tank locations. After reviewing various products and their individual pros and cons I decided ti go with SCAD. I especially liked the absence of moving parts and the fact that I could easily interface with the existing fuel float gauge senders.

I have kept the Tank Tender in the closet thinking I may want to install it some day as a backup. Haven't felt the need as of yet.

That is my experience and decision. I am confident its not the only right answer. Thankfully we all have different perceptions and experiences. What works for one of us may not work for another.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 11:13   #21

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have been looking at the Hart system as well. I like the simplicity of installation and no electronics to boot. A bit dear though. I have two water tanks and the fuel tank, all under the floor boards.
Old 16-05-2015, 11:25   #22

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I also have a tank tender, I have thought about adding something like a balloon air storage that I can blow up and then switch on and off to bubble the air, make the system a little more automatic, when doing the weekly reading of multiple tanks.
Old 16-05-2015, 11:26   #23

If you can connect a tank outlet using T fittings to the vent pipe with clear plastic piping (drinking grade of course) you will have a sight tube without modifying the tanks. This could be in addition to a fancy electric gizmo. Works for me. I put a simple plastic cock at the bottom of the sight tubes to turn on and off to check the levels to avoid sucking air in if the level is low.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 11:34   #24

Further to my sight tube post. If accessibility is difficult for the sight tube cocks, I've just realised they could also be up by the vent pipe which would also avoid air being sucked in.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:39   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
Check out Hart Systems - Home The only thing in the tank is a plastic tube. I have used them for 18 years. Very accurate, no maintenance, and reliable.
+1. Great product. Ive had a 3 tank version for about 20 years now (across two boats). Zero problems. Pump just now needs a bit of maintenance.

Im a fan of simple too, as in dip sticks and sight gauges, but they are not practical for all applications.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:54   #26

Hello,

Why can't you splice in a water meter type gauge that tells you gallons consumed. When you fill up re-set the meter? No sensor required down in a tank.

Just an off the wall idea from an dry lander ..

Good luck,

Mike
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:05   #27

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I'm presently working on patching up tank #3 of our four tank, 200 gallon fresh water holding system. These are custom made stainless tanks developing problems, but I'm trying to get a few more years out of them before replacing with plastic.

The water level gauge sensors on these tanks are completely eaten away. I'm looking for replacements, and see that there are some options to the Moeller universal tank float things that were in there.

I've been looking at these:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...307&id=1638065

http://www.wemausa.com/sensors/level...l#.VVc6eflViko

Can anyone with these sensors in their boat recommend them, or some better technology to a moving float arm and exposed potentiometer? I need two sensors, with a tank depth of 22". I think plastic would be a better choice for an in-tank sensor housing than adding another grade of stainless, for starters.
Tank tender

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:21   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

We have Wema and it is carp.

For those who don't have access for a sight tube, the two top choices, neither cheap, unfortunately, would be the magnificent electricity-free bullet-proof Tank Tender system, or, for the more networked boat, the Maretron ultrasonic N2K setup. I am planning to replace my Wema gauges with the latter some time this summer.
DH:
Keep in mind the Maretron ultrasonics have a "blind spot" within 2" it cannot read (or that's how it was in 2011 when we tried them). So with our water tanks, needing that additional volume towards the top of our tanks, we went WEMA but added Maretron's N2K TLA100's.
I also learned that the ultrasonics can give erratic readings with foaming, which can happen when refueling diesel.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 18:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
Hello,

Why can't you splice in a water meter type gauge that tells you gallons consumed. When you fill up re-set the meter? No sensor required down in a tank.

Just an off the wall idea from an dry lander ..

Good luck,

Mike
Something like this product:

Neptune Resettable Water Monitor for Boats and Motoryachts Freshwater Systems
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 00:32   #30

Boat: Kaufman 47

I have mechanical float gauges on my fuels tanks and one sight tube on one of three water tanks. I was just going to use the first two water thanks and when they run put I can keep an eye on the third.

I don't see why you couldn't use the mechanical gauges for the water, I didnt see anything on them that could contaminate the water. Maybe the foam float, but one could easily change that to cork or something water safe. Ordered them from Donovan marine.

Here's pictures of the gauges, right side of the one photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1431847871211.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	102240Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1431847931712.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	102241

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, water