Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2007, 06:12   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Water supply feeds

I currently have 2 x 35 gallon tanks that are both plumbed to a pressure pump that then feeds to my galley and head sinks. So boths sinks draw from both tanks.

I am looking to replace the hosing as it is starting to crack around the ends and overall looks worn out and that is the part I can see. Most of the plumbing lines are run such I can't really get at them to inspect.

In an effort to simplify the system I would like to route each tank as a dedicated feed to one sink. The galley will use the existing pressure system while the head will use a new manual hand pump. We have kids, so it is only a matter of time before one sink is left running and wastes all our water. Both tanks are under the sole and placed such that 1 full and 1 empty wouldn't affect trim. I can deal with occasionaly transfering water to account for unequal usage.

Is there some other reason I'm missing why matching 1 tank to 1 sink is a bad idea?
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 06:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Amfivena:
I see no reason not to dedicate 1 tank to 1 sink.

If the tanks are in near proximity, and one is higher than the other, you might install a cross-over hose c/w valve, allowing gravity transfer from the higher tank to the lower.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 11:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Amfivena:
I see no reason not to dedicate 1 tank to 1 sink.

If the tanks are in near proximity, and one is higher than the other, you might install a cross-over hose c/w valve, allowing gravity transfer from the higher tank to the lower.
Thanks. Seemed pretty clear to me as well. That's how it came though. I imagine simply to use 1 pump for two tanks and two sinks. I'm known to miss the obvious now-and-then, so thought I'd check first.

Good idea on the cross-over. Not sure it is what you meant, but the tanks are at the same level. So a valved connector near the bottom should let me open the valve to at least even the level in the two tanks.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
”… I imagine simply to use 1 pump for two tanks and two sinks …”
Actually, I counted TWO Pumps, in your original proposal, the original pressure system (electric pump?) for the galley, and a new manual pump in the head.
Re the Cross-Over, You understood my convoluted language perfectly.

Old 23-02-2007, 17:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Actually, I counted TWO Pumps, in your original proposal, the original pressure system (electric pump?) for the galley, and a new manual pump in the head.
Re the Cross-Over, You understood my convoluted language perfectly.
My point was the boat came plumbed the way it was so there was only 1 pump needed to serve two sinks. When I switch to 1 tank for 1 sink I will of course need a second pump.

As for the cross-over I went and looked at the tanks and decided that the convienience of leveling the tanks was probably not worth drilling two holes in the bottom of the tanks. Good idea, not sure the reward is worth the risk of leaky tanks.
Old 23-02-2007, 19:12   #6

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena
As for the cross-over I went and looked at the tanks and decided that the convienience of leveling the tanks was probably not worth drilling two holes in the bottom of the tanks. Good idea, not sure the reward is worth the risk of leaky tanks.
You could set up a siphon line between the two pickups. A valve could turn the siphon on as required. Not a fast way to transfer but would get there.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 21:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You could take a feed from alternate pump to alternate Tank. Umm, to say that more clearly, lets call on tank and pump, A and the other B. Take a feed from Pump A to tank B and Pump B to tank A. A valve on each feed and to transfer water, you just have to turn on the valve to the tank you want filled.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 03:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The cross-over could be executed through a couple of “T’s”, one in each existing supply hose (no new tank holes). Possibly, still not worth it ...