Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 08:51   #31

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Water Pressure Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am completely happy with the water pressure and flow rate from my existing Jabsco 4 gallons per minute pump. My boat has two showers, and two people can take a satisfactory shower at the same time.

I really think that overkill here is wrong on a boat where you are often trying to save water to some extent or another. Very high pressure and very high flow rates make it quite a bit harder to save water.

I think what I'm going to do is keep the washdown pump in reserve, and order a new SurFlo pump, also 4 gpm, which a friend can bring to me on Saturday. The Jabsco is now pumping water but doesn't shut itself off for some strange reason. I will live with it until Saturday, and if it fails again, I'll try the washdown pump.

From now on, I'll keep a complete working spare on board -- something I have always known I need to do . The failure of such a device is a trivial bit of wrenching if you have the spare on board; but can ruin days of a cruise if you don't. How many times do I need to relearn this lesson?

For my sins, I'm going to order a spare Gulper for my gray water system at the same time. I have plenty of spare diaphragms for them (I have two separate gray water systems), and can swap one for the other in an emergency, but enough is enough where pumps are concerned -- complete working spare will be my mantra. I had a spares kit for the Jabsco Par Max also, but it didn't help me. The only guaranty is a complete spare pump.

We don't save water . We carry a lot but we like to turn our tanks over a lot when we are in salt water keeps them fresh . really don't like to add chlorine tabs Our water maker puts out 40GPH and it is belted to the generator so when ever we make electricity we make water . Some times we deck wash with fresh .

Love those Gulper pumps use them for everything !!!

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:01   #32

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

After time goes by, the rubber bag in some types of accumulators goes hard. The pump can get a pressure pulse back in the line causing the highpressure switch to off/on/ off. Pump goes waka waka . If you hear the pump intermittant in the middle of the night it's probably leaking back internally but check the bilge anyway.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:14   #33

You got probably as much time as anybody. I would be concerned about the condition of your tanks if you had that rusty goo in there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:19   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
We don't save water . We carry a lot but we like to turn our tanks over a lot when we are in salt water keeps them fresh . really don't like to add chlorine tabs Our water maker puts out 40GPH and it is belted to the generator so when ever we make electricity we make water . Some times we deck wash with fresh .

Love those Gulper pumps use them for everything !!!

Regards
Lucky guy!!! That's my kind of boat. My Dad was a water Nazi on his boat, and I swore it would be different when I had my own boat.

We are certainly no water Nazis, but we have not reached your level of water nirvana. I don't have a water maker yet as these years I'm never as much as a week away from a port. We have 1000 liters on board and that lasts at least a week.

The real water conservation challenge is living aboard on my mid-river mooring, where I might be working intensely and no time for sailing. There you really don't want water spurting around randomly. Even a water maker wouldn't help there -- if you saw the water in the River Hamble, you would understand
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:27   #35

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...I don't yet have a spare alternator and starter, I'd like a spare raw water engine pump, but am on the line about a spare fresh water engine pump, maybe just put a new one on, and it should last a LONG time?

Best place to buy an overhauled Yanmar starter?...
Your engine cannot do without the fresh water pump--keep a spare or OH kit.

When I bought TN the starter was intermittent. Looking around for a spare I was quoted $1,000 for a new one!!! And $700 for a rebuilt (if I provided a core). I bought a complete used engine (with cracked head) for $500. It came with many new spares, like injectors and injector lines, gaskets, etc. But the starter alone was worth the price.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:32   #36

Quote:
Lucky guy!!! That's my kind of boat. My Dad was a water Nazi on his boat, and I swore it would be different when I had my own boat.

We are certainly no water Nazis, but we have not reached your level of water nirvana. I don't have a water maker yet as these years I'm never as much as a week away from a port. We have 1000 liters on board and that lasts at least a week.

The real water conservation challenge is living aboard on my mid-river mooring, where I might be working intensely and no time for sailing. There you really don't want water spurting around randomly. Even a water maker wouldn't help there -- if you saw the water in the River Hamble, you would understand

"Water Nazi " that's funny ��

Been there done that . We are still In fresh water so I take water from the dock , good and clean . We go through our tanks when we are both on board in just over a week . I could commission the water maker but I would be a slave to it as I won't run in the marina .
That and mucky rivers , not good for water makers .
I wanted this boat to be as close to land living as I could get . I really want my wife to be happy in our up coming 10 year cruise in the islands.

Regards .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-07-2016, 09:37   #37

I don't know why anyone wants to run at high pressure, unless you have room for a huge household accumulator, your pressure goes to crap quickly anyway. Seems like there ought to be a way to just use simple reliable centrifugal pumps for water, low pressure, consistent flow.. Maybe Windlass floor switches!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 11:38   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Does anyone have an opinion about Johnson pumps versus Jabsco or Shurflo?

I have this washdown pump from Johnson, and it looks pretty well made. It's made in Sweden, vs. Mexico for Jabsco and Shurflo, which I guess doesn't prove that it's better, but Swedish companies usually made pretty good kit.

I found the set screw for adjusting the pressure on this pump (voids the warranty, but it's more than three years old anyway), so maybe I'll really use this one temporarily and keep it as a spare, and order another one.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-07-2016, 11:43   #39

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Johnson is an excellent choice.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 09:03   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does anyone have any tips about turning the pressure down on Johnson pumps?

There is a set screw for this on the pressure switch housing, covered with a piece of red tape and a warning about the warranty (long expired so I don't care).

I presume I just screw it out until I get the pressure I want, correct? And that both cut-in and cut-out pressure go up and down in tandem, since there's only one screw?

I don't have any kind of pressure gauge, but I consider just screwing it out a couple of turns and seeing how it works.

What do you guys think?
Walt Whitman
Old 26-07-2016, 09:39   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I put in the Johnson wash down pump.

It seems to work ok at 70 psi -- has not created any leaks that I can find, and sure produces a copious flow.

BUT -- it pops off the pressure relief valve on my calorifier

So now it comes back off to see if I can turn the pressure down.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-07-2016, 09:43   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

That's hilarious, never thought of that.
Well now you know your T&P valve is good, the P part anyway. The one or two pumps I have played with have only had the one adjustment, Usually it was a house well, and air compressors, but either way it seems the turn on and turn off pressures delta remains about the same just both go up or down with the adjustment.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 09:50   #43

Quote:
So I put in the Johnson wash down pump.

It seems to work ok at 70 psi -- has not created any leaks that I can find, and sure produces a copious flow.

Get one of these to control your pumps , they work great for years and are very adjustable and available in different pressure ranges.

Totally bypass the on board garbage that the pumps come with , and mount a pressure gauge with it , these things are so cheap and you can get them at any hardware store.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SQU...e-Switch-2FH02

I control my Headhunter and my deck wash pump with them and keep a spare as well .

Regards
Old 26-07-2016, 09:54   #44

You can turn any pump into a domestic water pump with these, or you can save a good pump with a bad switch . The Square Ds last forever , I have seen some of them still working after sitting outside for 20 years !

Regards
Old 26-07-2016, 10:18   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Get one of these to control your pumps , they work great for years and are very adjustable and available in different pressure ranges.

Totally bypass the on board garbage that the pumps come with , and mount a pressure gauge with it , these things are so cheap and you can get them at any hardware store.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SQU...e-Switch-2FH02

I control my Headhunter and my deck wash pump with them and keep a spare as well .

Regards
Hot tip, thanks!

That really does look like the business!

Unfortunately doesn't help me with my immediate problem, since I'm out cruising far from any source of these.

And I'm failing to turn down the pressure on the Johnson washdown pump --

it has a set screw, but a 2 mm allen key won't fit and 1.5mm is too small Made in Sweden, so I don't think it would be an Imperial size.
Walt Whitman

Tags
water