Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 16:26   #1

Boat: Colvic Countess 37
Water Level Gauge

Hi, I have 2 water tanks on board that are extremely in accessible, I have no no gauges for the water level in either tank.

On inspection with I can see that each tank has circular fitting on top of the tank, with 2 wires coming from it which have been cut, and i am assuming (Hopefully) that this are the mechanism/instrument for showing the water level in each tank.

Assuming that I am right, if I was to buy a generic water level gauge, would it work if I wired it up to the two wires coming from the instrument on the tank? Or would only the correct make of gauge work with the specific make of instrument?mechanism that is in the tank?

Thanks
jono63812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 17:00   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Water Level Gauge

Pull them out and attach an ohm meter to them and test them to see if they still work.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 18:01   #3

Boat: Colvic Countess 37

Unfortunately they are very inaccessible, and taking them out will be very difficult, if i know that you can fit any gauge to the actual instrument in the tank, then I can buy a cheap on eBay etc, then fit them and hope it works. thanks
jono63812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 20:33   #4

KISS

You have two tanks. Fill them both, but keep them separated with valves. Finish using one when it gets empty, you'll KNOW and so switch to tank 2. Switch valves. Refill tank 1.

I've been doing it this way for 18 years.

Unless you're somewhere without access to any water, that works just as well as fancy-schmancy gauges.

Most water tanks are hard to get to, 'cuz that's not "prime boating real estate" - isn't accessible storage more important?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

To your 1st post, yes. You can wire in an Ebay gauge. If the senders are ok you'll get a reading. Depending on the tank shape and sender installation you should get some reading you may be able to use. But the original wires were cut for a reason. Who knows what goes thru the mind of a previous owner?
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water