Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2015, 18:35   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Water heater sizing for 35 ft coastal cruiser

The key is your engine and hot water usage. If the engine was used within a few hours, the water will be hot. The bigger the tank the more hot water you will have. Engine temps will heat most any size tank quickly. The downside of a big tank is the high power consumption to heat or maintain the water temperature when the engine is not running and shore power is not connected. My own biased opinion is that if you run out of hot water with a 6g setup you probably will run out of fresh water when it is least convenient. As for a mixer valve, that is an option but it is not a necessary part of the heater. That piece of plumbing can be installed on the shower line or you can skip it and control the temp with the hot and cold valves like most folks. You have your shower bag so if guests have a problem make them walk the plank.

Old 14-10-2015, 19:11   #17

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
Sounds to me like the smaller size such as an 8 gal will work well on our boat. I like the idea shared about a mix valve. I will be looking for that feature. The engine heat exchange would produce water temps in the 175 range, well above the preferred 120 degree normal use temp. I am learning that cruising in the Puget Sound is a mix of sail and motor time. The little bit of prevention is a good idea.

Thanks all.
The mix valve should be on all hot water tanks on boat. You are right about the 175 degree range and my boat runs at 180. One must be VERY care full of water used just after engine shut down.

Old 14-10-2015, 19:29   #18

Boat: Beneteau 343

6 gal is good for my 35'
Old 14-10-2015, 19:34   #19

Boat: Celestial 48

Figure a regular low-flow type shower head puts out 3.5 gallons per minute. About half the flow with be hot water, the other half cold (less HW used if very hot from engine, maybe more if heated electrically and in a cold climate). In Mexico use about 25% hot and 75% cold. Let's say 2 gallon per minute hot water use worse case, which would give 3 minutes shower run time. If wanting to shower like at a hotel, not much, but if used to budgeting water usage on board this is a lot.

I would say 6 gallon tank. Good thing about it, if the hot water runs out whoever is in the shower will stop draining the flipping water tanks quicker!
Old 15-10-2015, 06:41   #20

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

My guests are smart enough to turn on the cold before adding hot and adjusting. There might be a reason why building codes do not require a mixer control in every shower. Hot (180 or more) is dangerous common sense is a pretty good defense. I might install a mixer control in a shower but never at sinks. Sometimes I want it hot.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: