Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 06:53   #1

Water heater device, what is it, is it mandatory?

Hopefully, I have attached the photo I intended. The fitting going into my water heater has this device in the flow just prior to entry. Is it a water hammer, a filler port, or something else? Is it a required or useful part for the system. The elevation of the water heater is above that of the engine. Thank you for thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428B0A9-D21C-4786-81A3-D4D239293488.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	200970  
Gregg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:04   #2

Boat: Passport 41
Re: Water heater device, what is it, is it mandatory?

Could be a mixer, do you also have engine heat as a source? Mixers are used to keep 180F water heated by engine down to a safe level for faucets.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08   #3

This device is in the engine water flow circuit. Yes, the heater has both engine heat exchange and electrical element.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Are those hoses fresh water or engine coolant? Looking up mixing and bypass I don’t find your part. It may be a convenient fitting unique to that heater. C’m-on, all the info. Any data on the casting? What is in-out? No holding out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:17   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Can it be that this is the pressure relief line releasing small quantities off water overboard when heating the expanding water?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

If the water heater is above the engine, you need a point above the heater to add coolant and burp out any air. Can't really see in the photo, but it appears there's just a plug at the top of the vertical pipe. That would be the fill point. A header tank with a radiator cap with a lower pressure rating than the cap on the engine would be better and allow for expansion / contraction.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:41   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

That's the high point on the engine coolant circuit and it's a place to bleed off any air when replacing the coolant. I had a similar set-up on a previous boat with the water heater mounted well above the engine.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

You're talking about the T with the capped leg? I'd vote for coolant filler port. If your heater is above the engine then that's the high point in the coolant loop. Does the coolant loop have an expansion tank? Where is it? As high as this?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:47   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Water heater device, what is it, is it mandatory?

Pretty sure it’s a fill port, the reason is of course the water heater is uphill and once drained it would be difficult to get the air bubble out and not getting it out could result in the engine overheating and annoying having to fill the engine coolant until the air finally works its self out.
But with a fill port you can knock that out all at once.
Pretty smart of the PO in my opinion.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:37   #10

The flow is engine coolant. The device itself is not part of the Raritan, 6 gallon, water heater. It was fabricated from brass plumbing parts. This replacement procedure would be easier if I were to eliminate the device but I’m concerned that it may be a fix for water hammering or, possibly, a filler port for coolant as the heater is above the elevation of the engine. Another possibly might be an air bleeder from the high elevation. Does your water heater have any such thing, is your heater above engine elevation? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:02   #11

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg927 View Post
The flow is engine coolant. The device itself is not part of the Raritan, 6 gallon, water heater. It was fabricated from brass plumbing parts. This replacement procedure would be easier if I were to eliminate the device but I’m concerned that it may be a fix for water hammering or, possibly, a filler port for coolant as the heater is above the elevation of the engine. Another possibly might be an air bleeder from the high elevation. Does your water heater have any such thing, is your heater above engine elevation? Thanks.
I recently repowered my boat, went from raw water cooling to fresh water. The WH is higher than the engine and the new engine would not pump the coolant uphill to the WH. I installed a header tank in the coolant line higher than the WH (similar to the setup in question), filled the system through the header tank and now it works fine. Depending on how it's connected to the engine, without this device the engine will not make hot water and may cause the engine to overheat.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:29   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I don’t think water hammer is a problem in engine cooling systems. Probably a coolant filler point. Is there a removable plug or cap at the top of the vertical pipe?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:39   #13

Thank you one and all for your replies. I believe I now understand the function and the necessity. I hope I may be able to help you some time.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:18   #14

Boat: Hunter, 420 Passage

Expansion chamber.
Carver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 13:25   #15

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I think it is an expansion pressure rel;ease valve--so that when cold water is heated and expands, instead of styretching and eventually bursting the reservoir, it allows tyhe spring to release the pressure and the water released is vented--hopefully outside the hull or into a self-emptying leak sump rather than into the bilges.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water