Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 12:59   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon to Alaska
Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Posts: 1,914
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

The need for an expansion tank depends on the water heater size and the amount of plumbing lines it serves. Water expands with heat. W/o a check valve on the cold incoming line some hot water will push into the cold line. Again depending on the tank size and piping length.
When the water expands it increases the pressure on your plumbing. Most yachts have small water heaters so won't see much hot invading the cold line or need an expansion tank. But if you're fighting water leaks, that could be the problem.
I have a 50 gallon water heater, no expansion tank, and about 70' of hot and cold plumbing and I don't have expansion problems.
__________________

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:19   #17
Registered User
 
AKA-None's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lake City MN
Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Posts: 185
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Water does expand when heated, that is of course why we have expansion tanks on our engines, but if you look, it doesnít expand much, and the old way if you left just an inch of air in the radiator, it was all that was needed.
So there is expansion as water heats, but water lines do expand slightly, and if you ever open any water outlet whether hot or cold, it releases the excess pressure if any.
Water is not compressible of course so very little water would need to be released.
<snip>


Actually water is compressible which is one of the reasons you don't want it in a hydraulic system. It's compressible as it can carry quite a bit of gas.
__________________

__________________
Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.
Frank Herbert 'Dune'
AKA-None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:44   #18
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 5,031
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
The need for an expansion tank depends on the water heater size and the amount of plumbing lines it serves. Water expands with heat. W/o a check valve on the cold incoming line some hot water will push into the cold line. Again depending on the tank size and piping length.
When the water expands it increases the pressure on your plumbing. Most yachts have small water heaters so won't see much hot invading the cold line or need an expansion tank. But if you're fighting water leaks, that could be the problem.
I have a 50 gallon water heater, no expansion tank, and about 70' of hot and cold plumbing and I don't have expansion problems.
If you have an accumulator installed after the pump, that is an expansion tank. Same thing different name.
sailorchic34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 13:58   #19
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 5,031
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Actually water is compressible which is one of the reasons you don't want it in a hydraulic system. It's compressible as it can carry quite a bit of gas.
Ah, no. Water is not used in hydraulic systems as it has a low boiling point, and a high freezing point. Gases can get trapped in the spaces formed between different molecules of H2O. (since the H atoms are tiny and the O atom is fair size). Water is one of the few substances that can exist in all three phases (solid, liquid and gas) at the same time under the right conditions. Which makes it less then ideal as a hydraulic media..

But water is not really compressible at normal pressures most folks deal with. Elasticity, Elastic Properties
sailorchic34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 14:22   #20
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,758
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ah, no. Water is not used in hydraulic systems as it has a low boiling point, and a high freezing point. Gases can get trapped in the spaces formed between different molecules of H2O. (since the H atoms are tiny and the O atom is fair size). Water is one of the few substances that can exist in all three phases (solid, liquid and gas) at the same time under the right conditions. Which makes it less then ideal as a hydraulic media..

But water is not really compressible at normal pressures most folks deal with. Elasticity, Elastic Properties
Or expandable. I hadn't opened up a pressure cooker lately so I might be wrong. Seems it turns to steam?
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 17:11   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 244
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

I chose to not reinstall the check valve. 1 less thing to go bad. I do have the small accumulator after the pump, so any expansion will be handled by it. Water heater is a small 6 gal. The times we use the water heater, its only turned on for that use, then turned off. So if the cold water lines get warm, a few seconds of running and the warm water will be flushed out. I'll see how it goes, and then either leave it as is, or put it back in.

Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 22:20   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

My experience: I replaced my Raritan 12 gal water heater a few years ago. Raritan recommended an input check valve so I installed one even though the old one didn't have one. Whenever the water was heated from cold, after being out for more than 1 night, a small amount of water would be released into the bilge through the TP valve. After this happened several times, the seal in the TP valve began failing, first a slow leak, but growing until I replaced the valve. The new TP valve also leaked when heating water from cold, so I removed the check valve. No more problem.
Raritan' reason for the check valve was so that if the plumbing leading to the WH input failed, the tank wouldn't drain and then burn op the heating element. But I find it difficult to drain the tank, so don't believe that's a big concern.




Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jlp0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:54   #23
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 18,440
Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlp0217 View Post
My experience: I replaced my Raritan 12 gal water heater a few years ago. Raritan recommended an input check valve so I installed one even though the old one didn't have one. Whenever the water was heated from cold, after being out for more than 1 night, a small amount of water would be released into the bilge through the TP valve. After this happened several times, the seal in the TP valve began failing, first a slow leak, but growing until I replaced the valve. The new TP valve also leaked when heating water from cold, so I removed the check valve. No more problem.
Raritan' reason for the check valve was so that if the plumbing leading to the WH input failed, the tank wouldn't drain and then burn op the heating element. But I find it difficult to drain the tank, so don't believe that's a big concern.




Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum


House water heaters add and remove water from the top for exactly this reason, lose water pressure to the house and the heater remains filled.
A mobile homeís water heater has the water coming in from the bottom, presumably so that it drains automatically when the home is moved, you have to add a check valve to a mobile homes water supply or it may burn out the element if water supply is lost.

If I remember correctly my marine water heater has both hoses in the middle of the box? So that it may drain half way?
Or is that the hoses from the engine Iím thinking about?
I donít have a check valve myself.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 01:38   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Queensland, Australia
Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Posts: 486
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

If you do not like check valves vented overboard, then you will need a chamber capable of accepting two litres of displaced water, which means at least twice to three times that size--and this pressure needs to be the pressure of normal mains supply or greater.

Fortunately the tank can be anywhere on the vessel--as long as the pipe connecting to it is clear of bends or kinks. The two litres I have calculated was based on roughly 100 litres of water at ambient temp of 25 Celsius heated to boiling point--so it is on the over-zealous since the hot water service is seldom even seventy degrees.

Anyway--lots of luck. I used a gas heater Bosch type--worked like a charm and never gave a moment's trouble--turn on the tap and it lit up every time. No storage--heat what you use.. If I were to fit a storage type it would be solar.77
Mike Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 07:16   #25
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 2,931
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

Says in the Bosch installation manual

"Not approved or designed for :
-Manufactured (mobile) homes, boats or any mobile installation. "
__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 07:30   #26
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 2,931
Re: Water heater, check valve, accumulators revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ah, no. Water is not used in hydraulic systems as it has a low boiling point, and a high freezing point. Gases can get trapped in the spaces formed between different molecules of H2O. (since the H atoms are tiny and the O atom is fair size). Water is one of the few substances that can exist in all three phases (solid, liquid and gas) at the same time under the right conditions. Which makes it less then ideal as a hydraulic media..

But water is not really compressible at normal pressures most folks deal with. Elasticity, Elastic Properties
Will also cause corrosion in hydraulic steering systems.
__________________

__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pressure: Water pumps and accumulators mikedefieslife Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 36 22-05-2018 06:46
Cold / Eutectic / Holdover / Holding plates and Energy Accumulators... ErikFinn Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 17 29-04-2015 20:16
Replaced faulty T&P relief valve with pressure relief valve on Seaward water heater conestablo Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 4 27-05-2013 07:39
water heater check valve PEACETIME Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 4 03-05-2012 20:16
gel accumulators emmonev Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 12 04-10-2007 00:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.