Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 06:10   #1

Boat: Mark Smaalder's designed 32' cold-molded cutter
Water heater advice

I’m getting ready to install a hot water heater on my boat. Traditionally, most I’ve seen have a stainless steel housing but recently I’ve seen a few brands offering plastic housing. Wondering what experience any of you may have with these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	164481
scottmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 07:58   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Water heater advice

The plastic is insulation.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:03   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

The plastic covers the insulation material. Sorry my old heater is still performing, no experience with plastic, but I would go for it. After all the SS housing is square because it is easier to manufacture.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:19   #4

I am extremely happy with my Superstor hot water heater. While most water heater manufacturers have moved their production to China over the last decade, I believe Superstor is still made in the US. The company specializes in high efficiency long life commercial and residential water heaters. I'm thinking of putting one of their residential units in my house. Residential ones have a lifetime warranty. The marine has 5 year.

My boat one heats extremely quickly and keeps the water very hot for for more than 24 hours. Far longer than the three other hot water heater I've owned from better known brands.

http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-13.pdf

I got mine through Defender. It was not more expensive than the other brands. They don't stock it anymore but I expect they could special order it. The only quirk I've found is that if you need to winterize it, use antifreeze since the bottom drain is not low enough to drain all of the water. Not a big deal if you know about it.

No relationship with the company other than being a happy customer.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 09:59   #5

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I have a 30 year old Atwood 11 gallon. The heating element is 1300 watts if I remember correctly, I never run out of hot water and I believe being in freshwater is one reason it’s lasted so long. The only problem I’ve ever had is a leaking relief valve.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:27   #6

Boat: CS 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I have a 30 year old Atwood 11 gallon. The heating element is 1300 watts if I remember correctly, I never run out of hot water and I believe being in freshwater is one reason it’s lasted so long. The only problem I’ve ever had is a leaking relief valve.
Have no experience with stainless covers but.....
My relief valve was leaking also. It is threaded into the tank. I removed and soaked in vinegar for a day. Removed all the calcium and the brass seat fit back as new. No more leaks. Hope this helps Peter
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:34   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Wish I had thought of that, I replaced with a new one that was about 2 times the price of one for a home water heater. The difference was the threaded part, smaller on the marine unit.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 21:24   #8

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmacc View Post
I’m getting ready to install a hot water heater on my boat. Traditionally, most I’ve seen have a stainless steel housing but recently I’ve seen a few brands offering plastic housing. Wondering what experience any of you may have with these?

Attachment 164481
Scott, in my last boat I put in a Isotemp Stainless steel water heater. Was a great heater and practical sailor always gave it the best ratings. Also has the ability to heat on a inverter due to the lower rating of the electric heater.
They now make a unit with a high quality polypropylene outer jacket instead of a stainless steel outer jacket. The advantage is cost. It costs less to make. The interior liner is still Stainless Steel. In my next boat that will be the unit I put in. If you can afford it, I recommend the isotemp unit highly.

Tags
water