Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2008, 17:54   #16

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Do you have a schematic that you would be willing to share?
I'd certainly be interested.

Regards,
Extemp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Interesting... though both of those websites are awful. The best info I could find was a content-free PDF about that model, with no specs. The hoses look a bit small for the 4 GPM I expect with the Water Fixer, but that's just a guess based on having stared at fittings too much over the past week. But if it's all the right stuff for way less, then I officially smite myself on the forehead... that is one I had not seen.

My Water Fixer is in the process of being integrated into the boat's "Waterworks" panel, and I'm just now building the valving system that lets filter and watermaker product be routed to either tank, along with other options (the entire user interface is a dozen valves... a big part of the design is enough clarity in layout and labeling that it will still make sense in 6 months!).

Incidentally, I included a flowmeter in the main line, allowing not only visual confirmation of activity but also a pulse train that is logged by one of the ship's microprocessors. If it starts ticking over when I'm not there, it's an official red alert... and it can log the amount added to each tank, amount used, etc.

Oh, I should add: the reason I care about the 4GPM is not so much on the usage side, where that would be more than plenty, but on the tank-filling side (which I can also route through the filter using the pressure water connection instead of the normal deck fills). We'll see soon how well this actually works!

Cheers,
Steve
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 21:23   #17

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Hi... schematic of the electronics, or the plumbing?

The electronics is part of a whole shipwide network with a little over a dozen "nodes" that handle sensors and local control tasks. A central hub server scans all those to maintain an image of the whole boat, and I can talk to that via web browser, packet radio, or voice-response with a handheld radio. And there's a "back door" of sorts that lets me reboot the big system if it is misbehaving.

All this is work-in-progress, and I'm documenting it all in a book due out sometime next year.

The plumbing is simpler... and I'll probably put an article on my website as soon as it's all buttoned up (and tested enough to publish).

Oddly, the most time-consuming part has been the mechanical fiddling with fittings and valves, trying to get it all to snuggle into the available space!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 18-12-2008, 00:44   #18

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
UV sterilizers are standard equipment for potable water on commercial workboats. But they often have integral steel tanks and take on rather funky water in some ports...
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 08:09   #19

One of my design goals was the ability to take on raw water; I've added a (locked) valve that allows this, after the high-silt primary pre-filter and boost pump for the watermaker. I don't ever expect to use it, but if I'm in a river system and there's no other choice......

I have stainless tanks that came with the boat, not very serviceable... no idea what they look like inside. Taste is good; TDS not unreasonable. But might as well make it as good as I can, while I have the leisure of winter moorage.

Should post pix of the system soon; there's a bit more detail over at the Nomadness blog.

Cheers!
Steve
Old 18-12-2008, 08:51   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
"moving with the free grace of animals... not the stylized grace of fashion."
Microship

I really liked that line when I read it.
"Free Grace" neat name for the next boat.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 09:00   #21

Tellie... oooh, good idea for a boat name (and thanks for the kind words!).

Steve
Old 03-04-2012, 17:06   #22

Re: Water Fixer vs Alternatives

MicroShip, How is that WaterFixer working out for you? After this many seasons is it holding up for you?
RogueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RogueFish.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:12   #24

RogueFish - sad to say it's still on the shelf, awaiting installation! I hate being finite...
-Steve
Old 04-04-2012, 14:51   #25

It does sound a little complicated, but assuming you are going forward, the one thing I would check out is the cost of replacement filters for the unit you are looking at. Carbon filters need to be changed every 3 months as they encourage bacterial growth. Some place make their real money on replacement parts....
I have a UV system I use at home. It is simple and ease to install. For a 3 gal/min unit the bulb costs about $54 per year. They may last a lot longer. Not sure of having to run the 120ac 24/7 though..... maybe not that good an apllication for a small boat....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:19   #26

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Hey guys if you are going to sail in tropical areas make sure that you have the ability to bypass your filters ( ie carbon and 5micro ect ) as I have found that having one of these filters on drinking and cooking water there is not enough use to keep the water freash and found that the water would start smelling and taste bad after a very short time ( 1-2 weeks )
The tank water when diverted was perfect and on removal of the filer element I found that the alge etc colected on the filter had gone stagnent.
I have over come all problems by fitting a large water maker and now dont need to filter tank water. Hope this gives you a heads up on just one of the problems of cruising in the Tropics Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 20:14   #27

Jacko,
When your carbon filter went stagnant, how often were you chlorine shocking your tank and refreshing it? I would figure every 1.5-2 months would keep the algae from growing in your tank and ruining your filter. Does that sound about right? I bet it was a great trip, though.

R-fish,
"Most sailors tend to get a little dingy after a while."
RogueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:54   #28

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

[QUOTE=RogueFish;925269]Jacko,
When your carbon filter went stagnant, how often were you chlorine shocking your tank and refreshing it? I would figure every 1.5-2 months would keep the algae from growing in your tank and ruining your filter. Does that sound about right? I bet it was a great trip, though

Hi R-Fish I dont Chlor Shock my tanks, the alge was growing on the filter because of the high cabin temp as the filter was under the galley sink. When I by passed the filter the tank water was fine for all use. I have found that the infreaquent filling of the tanks with shore water when visiting a marina or jetty seams to have enough chlorine to keep the tanks very clean. I opened one of my S/S tanks ( 300ltr) a couple of years ago, It had been in constant use for 10 years and I did not have to clean it, it was totally clean not even sediment in the bottom I was amazed. The tank has a dip tube suction so it was not as if I was drawing the rubbish out if I had a bottom outlet.
I do have a little trick as I add 2/3 table spoons of bicarbonate (baking) soda to my tanks every 6 months or so. There is no taste from this and it is totally harmless to your body so I guess this does the job Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote