Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 05:37   #76
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Water Filtration Question

^^ This is the vent hose. I cleaned by flossing it with a soaped-up line. Truly, the tank will never stay sterile.

However, ALL public water supply piping has some degree of biofilm in residence (Goolgle the subject). That should not imply that the film is pathenogenic. It could be, but generally is not. For safe drinking water we only need to limit the growth.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:26   #77

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Pre-filter the water when you fill. Many options, including a $12 filter from Walmart.
Camco TastePURE RV and Marine Water Filter: ATV, Motorcycle, & RV Accessories : Walmart.com

Pentek DVG-50. This will meet NSF P231 for a microbioogical purifier. $109
Pentek DVG-50 Filter Cartridge for VGS-600, VCT-1 Only $108.99

Save $90 and use this cartridge in the US. Still NSF 53. $15
http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Pentek-FloPlus-10-Carbon-Block-Water-Filter.asp
...either of which fit in this housing...

10" 3G housing. $12
Pentek 158620 1/2" 3G Slim Line 10" Blue Housing Only $11.99

This will get you better quality water than you have at your home tap. The system described is really single-tap; it can handle multiple taps, but not a shower. You should not need this for the shower if good tap water is available and the tank is properly maintained (pre-filter and clean/sanitize annually). The $27 system should be all you need.

-----

Home Depot is over priced for this stuff and does not have the same selection. Pentek makes products and then private labels for GE etc.

There are more expensive systems that are not NSF certified. There are more expensive systems based on proprietary cartrige systems. This is based on universal products--parts and replacements should be available most anywhere.
Thinwater, great suggestions. I have a Lagoon with no water filtration and was looking into some of the somewhat expensive options out there. I really like the solution you laid out in your post. Quick newbie question. I purchased my Lagoon in France and am sailing in the Med. If I get the housing, filters, and Walmart hose filter you suggest do you have any idea if they will work with European connections? Just want to make sure if I go this route and get everything when I'm back in the States for the holidays that I won't get back here and realize I have a metric integration issue. Any ideas?

Also, between the two filters you recommend, there is a large price difference. Is there a difference in quality or something that explains the price difference?

Thanks so much for your help,
Zoid
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:10   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
Thinwater, great suggestions. I have a Lagoon with no water filtration and was looking into some of the somewhat expensive options out there. I really like the solution you laid out in your post. Quick newbie question. I purchased my Lagoon in France and am sailing in the Med. If I get the housing, filters, and Walmart hose filter you suggest do you have any idea if they will work with European connections? Just want to make sure if I go this route and get everything when I'm back in the States for the holidays that I won't get back here and realize I have a metric integration issue. Any ideas?

Also, between the two filters you recommend, there is a large price difference. Is there a difference in quality or something that explains the price difference?

Thanks so much for your help,
Zoid
1. European pipe sizes are different; I assume it won't fit. However, I'm sure you can get adapters to put connect your hose to shore hose, and I'm sure you can buy what you need when you get there. Just like power mis-matches, you won't be the first.

2. Some of the price difference is Walmart; that same filter is sold for double through West Marine. Yes, there are differences between the Camco filter and the more expensive filters, I just didn't feel they were important for a rough filtration step. I have used both (3 brands) and didn't feel there was any practical difference; all you are really asking it to do is stop clumps that shed from the hose and pipe. Were I in the 3rd world, I would use a better filter.

I have 3-part coming out in Practical Sailor this fall/winter with far more detail.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:06   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
1. European pipe sizes are different; I assume it won't fit. However, I'm sure you can get adapters to put connect your hose to shore hose, and I'm sure you can buy what you need when you get there. Just like power mis-matches, you won't be the first.

2. Some of the price difference is Walmart; that same filter is sold for double through West Marine. Yes, there are differences between the Camco filter and the more expensive filters, I just didn't feel they were important for a rough filtration step. I have used both (3 brands) and didn't feel there was any practical difference; all you are really asking it to do is stop clumps that shed from the hose and pipe. Were I in the 3rd world, I would use a better filter.

I have 3-part coming out in Practical Sailor this fall/winter with far more detail.
Thanks for the input and quick response Thinwater. For the hose filter I'm sure I can find an adapter or make something work. I was wondering about the connectors from the housing. Hopefully the housing comes with connectors and I can just get hoses that will fit. Not sure if Euro connectors to the housing will fit.

Isn't this why we crashed one of the Martian landers? Metric conversion to English system?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:25   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Isn't this why we crashed one of the Martian landers? Metric conversion to English system?
This is the best conversion story I know of

Gimli Glider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31   #81

Quote:
Thanks for the input and quick response Thinwater. For the hose filter I'm sure I can find an adapter or make something work. I was wondering about the connectors from the housing. Hopefully the housing comes with connectors and I can just get hoses that will fit. Not sure if Euro connectors to the housing will fit.

If you are speaking of the G3 housing holding the carbon block filter, addapters from NPT (housing) to metric freshwater tubing (that is what I have) are very common. Any good US marine store will have have you need, including West Marine, since metric hose is common on sailboats. These housings do not come with adapters.
Old 29-10-2014, 13:47   #82

So after talking around the docks here in Sicily with the other liveaboards I have continually heard the praises of the Seagull solution. I've even been subjected to taste tests and it obviously works. And for the price, I would hope it was. In your research do you know how what your proposing stacks up with something like a Seagull? I don't need to be drinking water freshly melted from the glaciers or anything, but I'd like to have a solution that tastes as good (or close to it) as Seagull, but with common components rather than expensive proprietary components. Thoughts?
Old 29-10-2014, 13:59   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My boat came with a Seagull installed, so I bought one of the insanely expensive filter cartridges.

My opinion is you can do as good or better for a whole lot less money, if it wasn't already there I wouldn't have done it myself
Old 29-10-2014, 14:29   #84

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Here's the problem with filters. The good water is one sheet of paper away from the nasty water. If you do not change the filter often then the nasty side of the paper clogs up with loads of bugs and bacteria.

If this filter is in a hot boat you now have an outstanding Petrie dish that allow the bugs and bacteria to grow.

The best setup to have is a watermaker, so then you can make fresh water every few days.

If you keep fresh water in your tanks and keep using it and then replacing it, all will be well.

A lot of rich cruisers get sick from Seagull filters because they are to cheap to keep replacing them (why do you think they are rich).
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 14:57   #85

Quote:
So after talking around the docks here in Sicily with the other liveaboards I have continually heard the praises of the Seagull solution. I've even been subjected to taste tests and it obviously works. And for the price, I would hope it was. In your research do you know how what your proposing stacks up with something like a Seagull? I don't need to be drinking water freshly melted from the glaciers or anything, but I'd like to have a solution that tastes as good (or close to it) as Seagull, but with common components rather than expensive proprietary components. Thoughts?
Of course you can. Seagull did not invent carbon block filters, they just did a hell of marketing job. Just read back up the thread. Start at the beginning!

Practical Sailor has a 3-part on water filtration coming up soon.

Cotemar is waving the bloody shirt, IMHO. It can be done, but not with just any Home Depot filter. In fact, no RO system is NSF P231 rated without back-up chemical or UV treatment, because membranes can and do leak enough to let a few bugs through.
Old 29-10-2014, 15:12   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe some of the better filters have colloidal silver in them and that is an anti-bacterial
Old 29-10-2014, 18:32   #87

I don't know much about ratings and testing, but I went with a Water Exchange filter. The double under counter with Doulten pre-filter. It works great. Everyone says the water is better than bottled. I am happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-05-2018, 11:10   #88

Boat: Hunter 380

Old thread alert!

Not trying to revive this thread, but I did a search and found almost all the info I need. One question I want to be sure about:

Do these filters get installed before or after the water pump? I have plenty of space immediately after the tank (before the water pump) but it sounds like many people opt to put these filter systems at a single faucet (i.e. under the sink) which I assume would be after the water pump.

Will I have issues with flow if I install before the water pump? Isn't that a better system to ensure the water going anywhere in the boat is filtered vs. making the water from a single faucet superior to the other boat faucets?
nickfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:18   #89

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfox45 View Post
Old thread alert!

Not trying to revive this thread, but I did a search and found almost all the info I need. One question I want to be sure about:

Do these filters get installed before or after the water pump? I have plenty of space immediately after the tank (before the water pump) but it sounds like many people opt to put these filter systems at a single faucet (i.e. under the sink) which I assume would be after the water pump.

Will I have issues with flow if I install before the water pump? Isn't that a better system to ensure the water going anywhere in the boat is filtered vs. making the water from a single faucet superior to the other boat faucets?
Without having re-read the whole thread...

Course sediment filters could be probably installed either before or after the water pump, and in either location may not impact flow rate (as for showers).

Fine filters (e.g., carbon block filters) are often installed on faucets where you might expect only drinking water, since they often affect flow rate -- a lot! -- and since many folks don't elect to shower in drinking water.

Even in a galley, you might find a main faucet for dishwashing (coarse filter, somewhere on the boat) and a separate faucet for drinking water (with filter nearby, likely only attached to that one spigot).

Fine filters probably benefit from having a (coarse) pre-filter somewhere on the boat...

-Chris
Old 08-05-2018, 11:44   #90

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

We installed ours on our Hunter 356 (SafeH2O system) between the tank and the water pump. All water goes through .5 micron filter, 1 micron filter, then uv light to pump then manifold where it is distributed to all outlets. We use for drinking, washing dishes, showers - full water usage on the boat goes through this system. Each spring we use Peggy Hall's commissioning system and change out the filters and uv light for $53 each year.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water