Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 20:20   #1

Water Filtration

Hello,

Thank you for allowing me to join your thread.

My wife and I are in our initial stage of planning to purchase a boat and cruising for an extended period. I am trying to resolve the issue of water allowance underway.
I am wondering if it's feasible/possible to recycle fresh water (after taking a shower) through a filtration system into a tank, and then pump it back into the shower as needed. I am imagining a filtration system that would filter out sediment, microorganisms, soap etc. Does anyone know whether such a system exists already, or whether it could be constructed & installed?
Thanks for your thoughts. Paulo
Paulo Gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 22:18   #2

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Welcome to the forum,
I'm no expert on this subject. But in my opinion you would not be able to completly filter the water. Large cities are able to recycle water, but I don't think it is something you can do on a small scale. except for maybe distilling it.
If you are concerned about fresh water, look at water makers. There are several threads about them on this forum. A person can even build one them selves.

Others here will be able to help you more.

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:18   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Reuse of grey water. This is a rather interesting point actually. As for the composting toilets, there's a lot to be gained from looking to the green crowd for info (via google).

The most cursory search got me these guys providing greywater filtration systems, but they're huge (village sized): Brac Systems - Grey Water Recycling

The done thing is a saltwater shower with a minimal freshwater flush, sensible option, there being all the "drink" around
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07   #4

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
don't skimp on water...

I have a pretty good article I high-jacked from somewhere on building your own watermaker. It is very well done and actually you can make one yourself for about $1500.00 if you don't go crazy trying to make 100 gallons an hour.
It's a pdf but it's 459kb and the limit here is 400 so I couldnt post it. PM me or email me and I'll send it anyone who wants it.
cdennyb "at" hotmail dot com
Old 05-01-2010, 09:46   #5
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Tell me more on the sea water shower idea. Do you have a separate heater for the sea water?
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:12   #6

water Filtration

Thanks for all the responses.

I was thinking that I would filtrate shower water only. If I start with a tank of fresh water, say 30 gallon capacity, pump said water through a gas instant water heater, and then filter the water on it's way back to the same tank.
A closed circuit that would allow me to use the same water multiple times, before replacing.
I don't intend drinking this water.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 16:49   #7

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
About the only way I know that even vaguely works is a filter box full of sand with a porous liner. It will take out most of the scummy stuff but the water will still be soapy. I would think that the weight of said box would be pretty heavy in order to get the volume of water filtered in a reasonable amount of time. Then the problem becomes the sand in the box starting to stink. I'd say its not worth the effort.

But if you want to give it a try, thats what I'd do. A sand box. Perhaps filtering thru chamois would work better. I'd set up a test set with a filter coffee pot and filter holder. Try various filters and see how it goes.

Another possiblity that I just remembered is this site. Its a ceramic water filter that works under gravity feed. I bought 6 of them for my survival pack and the boat. Check this out:

http://shop.monolithic.com/products/...ic-drip-filter

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 14:25   #8

There are a number of hand held filtration units one can get; Katadyn is one. There are also solar strainers that can condense salt water or even black water; easy to make, just add sunshine. There are also water collectors, but my favorite is a water-maker. We carry all just in case.
RDW, a seawater shower is a black water bag with a sprinkler on the end. Its solar powered.
Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink,
Water, water everywhere but nary a drop to drink

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 18:14   #9

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
While I think your idea is interesting I would think it more productive to put your energy into techneques of useing less water in shower. The typical boat shower tech. of useing a on off button on hand held shower head to wet down then soap then rinse can be done with a relatively small amt. of water so small that filtration and reuse just an added complication.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 18:57   #10

Boat: Island Packet 349
Close circuit water system are in development now. Still many years away from comercial products, but it will eventually become a standard for residential water supply. It make take several more years until a portable unit is developed that can be used on a boat. Size and energy consumption are major concerns.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 21:57   #11

Water Filtration

Thank you for your suggestions and replies.