Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 12:56   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: water filter before or after pump

According to that chart, the filter will deliver 4.5gpm at 25psi. That is pretty much right in line with a typical boat system flow.

Most boat system pumps are set to ~40psi, so I don't know why the OP's is so low.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 13:00   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
water filter before or after pump

The Par Max 3.5 is not a very high flow pump and, depending on the shower head, may not ever provide a shower your wife will accept. You should first look for a low flow, high pressure shower head and if that doesn't make things better, step up to s higher flow pump with higher pressure.

BTW, that pump should be operating at 40psi. There may be an adjustment screw on the pressure regulator to bring it back to spec. If not, and it is only 25psi, then the pressure switch is bad.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:24   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I question why shower water needs to be filtered anyway.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:55   #19

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I almost posted this very same question after talking with a guy about the boost pump in my water maker.

Right now my fresh water pump pulls through the filter, which I thought was preferred because you're protecting the pump. Now I'm told water pumps push better than pull, so I should put the filter on the other side.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 22:33   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

BTW, that pump should be operating at 40psi. There may be an adjustment screw on the pressure regulator to bring it back to spec. If not, and it is only 25psi, then the pressure switch is bad.

Mark
There are 2 models of that pump in 12 volts - one at 25 psi and one at 40 psi.

mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:51   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

I think changing the shower head is worth a try as it is a very high flow and is on my list to change out. And my goal wasn't to have filtered shower water but to have one filter for the whole boat and not have a dedicated drinking water tap. It's similar to a water filter I use for backpacking. A ceramic filter that you can clean.

Thanks for all the help,

Len
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 18:40   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I think changing the shower head is worth a try as it is a very high flow and is on my list to change out. And my goal wasn't to have filtered shower water but to have one filter for the whole boat and not have a dedicated drinking water tap. It's similar to a water filter I use for backpacking. A ceramic filter that you can clean.

Thanks for all the help,

Len
A lot of good answers (sailorchic, colemd, my time, a few others) and a few dead-wrong answers.

• Your pressure is a little low, but probably not worth changing the pump. I do wonder, though, if the difference isn't just a pressure switch setting (you might be able to swap the switch?).
  • Yes, I would try removing the restrictor in the shower head first (a disk the size of a dime with some holes in it). Take a small drill and make the holes a little bigger, or add more. There is no reason to replace the head itself.
  • Low volume on a boat shower is not really a bad thing, unless it is ridiculous. You can go through a LOT of water with a long shower. I like hard showers at home (I have removed the restrictors), but on the boat I'd rather it was pretty slow.
  • If you did have high flow, do you have enough hot water heater tank to support it? I doubt it. Most boat hot water tanks are pretty small and you would finish the shower with cold water.
  • Yes, you have the filter in the right place. The fact that it is filtering the whole boat does not not impact the flow unless 2 people are using water at the same time. And turning on the water while someone is in the shower is ALWAYS bad karma.
Is the flow in the galley OK? If so, just fix the shower head.
Old 16-01-2016, 08:01   #23

The flow at the tap is fine reduced but acceptable just the shower is a little low. And yes we can go through a lot of water if you take a full on shower. We live aboard at a marina so I just keep filling tanks. When on the hook we conserve as much as possible.
Old 16-01-2016, 08:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The water filter should be after the pump. The problem is if the water filter is before the pump the suction head at the pump may be too high to operate. That is pumps push way better then they pull. So after the pump is how it should be done. Of course there is the pressure drop through the filter. You could install a pump with a higher head pressure.

In theory you could install a second pump after the filter, but that creates it's own set of headaches and it generally not recommended.
^^^^ this

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:51   #25

New 40psi pump and low flow shower head installed. Plenty of pressure to the shower. Wife happy.

Thanks for the help!
Old 31-07-2016, 10:27   #26

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I question why shower water needs to be filtered anyway.
Getting dirty water in your mouth and eyes can still get you sick.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water