Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 18:30   #16

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Water filter before or after accumulator tank?

a fine mesh strainer at the filler /boiling water for cooking removes 25%of flouride and chlorine poison/ we use a life straw family filter/ gravity fed reverse osmosis filter for all drinking water /most people don't care as long as the water tastes ok the problem is chemicals in the water deplete our immune system combined with fatigue from long passages is known to cause health issues sorry of the track a bit if your filter is the same flow rating as your pump the pressure should be the same /if the pressure drops noticeably change or clean the filter
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 19:38   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version

The filter flow rate is .75gpm. I installed it today, after the pump, before the accumulator.

It decreased pressure but not bad at all. I only tested the faucet. Our shower is a low flow head, so I'm hoping there won't be a noticeable difference there.

Regarding micron size, I understand that cysts a resilient to chlorine, and to remove the cysts you need a .5 micron filter.

I think it's pretty unlikely we will get cysts in or tanks, but rather safe than sorry. If it were just about taste I'd just use a charcoal filter with the largest micron size possible.
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 19:44   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version

Kinda funny that I'm worried about the boat tanks I fill with city water and not the well water I drink at home which is more at risk to become contaminated...
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:03   #19

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Not to the drift the thread but seems I read about the connection of Al with Alzheimers Had Al tanks so not sure.If the filter is collecting chunks of aluminium hydrates the tank has a problem that may be far-reaching.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:23   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I get lots of white "stuff" from my 30 yr old aluminum tanks, but I'm relatively certain its not aluminum oxide, I feel sure it's lime or calcium carbonate, whatever is usually in "hard" water.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water