Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 06:49   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Water Bladder under Aft Bunk?

I need additional water storage and I wanted to put a water bladder under the Aft bunk where I sleep or under the V-berth.

The aft bunk would be a better location although a little low but very long, very close to the galley.

Is there problems with a water bladder under your bunk?

Is a 15 foot hose vrs a 6 foot hose that much of a problem?

What is the prep for a new bladder?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks, James
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:50   #2
cruiser

James,

The main issue with what you propose is one of weight distribution. Ideally, you do not want thousands of pounds of water (or anything else) in either end of the boat. You want it low, centered and hopefully below the waterline.

If you fill up the aft area with water, you may find your sailing performance degraded and your boat sitting "bow up" and "stern down" a bit.

Large amounts of weight in the bow/stern tend to contribute to something called "hobbyhorseing", which is when the boat rocks too much fore and aft, rather than side to side.

That said, if you are only talking a very small bladder, it might not be as much of an issue. I have about 500lbs hanging off the back of my boat (although it's 45' and displaces 26,000lbs). I have a dinghy, outboard and generator back there. Even on this boat, it's noticeable.

Uh oh... just looked at what boat you have. That is a very light displacement boat. Probably best not to put anything back there. Even fairly small tanks will throw your boat out or whack. Can you find a spot below the cabin sole for the bladder?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
For weight distribution you could go with similar sized bladders fore and aft then draw from them at the same time. Might be tricky to do that but it would help with trim.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:52   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What Sean said. And, most bladders eventually leak because of chafe. So make sure the surrounding locker is smooth or better yet, install something to prevent chafe. That can be a layer of outdoor grade (plastic) carpet, or some of the rubber-tire-link type doormats, etc. Any extra plastic to make sure they aren't going to be rubbed or punctured by the locker is cheap insurance.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:59   #5
cruiser

FrankZ - that's no good. Extra weight needs to be distributed amidships, not at the ends. Look at the basic design of your boat. Are there water and fuel tanks in the ends? Putting a lot of weight in the ends is detrimental to a boat's motion at sea.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mine came designed with a water tank under the vberth. I find she sails better with it full.
Old 12-12-2006, 14:07   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
If you are talking 30 or 40 gals of water I would think it would be OK but not optimal. I would use it up first. It won't last that long. But Sean's points do apply along with Hellosailor's on Chafe.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 14:09   #8
cruiser

All I can really say is "huh... " on that one. I don't know the Coronado well, but I am assuming if she sails better with the forward tank full, all other weight is shifted aft to compensate for a full v-berth tank?

Anyway, some quotes to back up the obvious:

Another easy check is your weight distribution. Don't carry excessive amounts of weight at either end of the boat. 300' of chain in the bow locker will hurt performance as the boat will tend to hobby-horse in the slightest wave. Ditto for weight in the stern lazzerettes. Even excess sails can be left ashore on race day to lighten things up. You don't necessarily want to put your crew on a diet, but collectively they account for half a ton of weight or more. Keep them amidships whenever possible, and on the rail when needed to hold the boat flatter. - I-36 Race Clinic, March 27, 2004

ON DECK: The goal is to improve speed and performance by lessening weight in the ends of the boat. Weight increases the pitching moment and causes your boat to "hobby horse" diminishing speed and acceleration. - Yacht Racing .com

Um... I think that's enough Googling. Keep the weight centered.
Old 12-12-2006, 15:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It only holds about 18 gallons. Doing the math (carry the one) that is roughly 154 pounds.

When full the bow comes up a wave the shoulders through. With it empty the bow seems a little too bouncy over the chop. Of course I am not going to sea but to river and bay.

I might get a chance this spring to help cut up and dispose of a Coronado 25. I am pretty excited as I should get a chance to look at some of the places I think are dead space without putting holes in my own boat. I am looking for more water and waste space.
Old 12-12-2006, 15:57   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Lynx,

I think if we are talking an extra 10 - 20 gallons you might be just fine. Water is about 8 lbs per US gallon. I would think after that it's a liability.

You are a small sailboat not a tanker. People that carry large tanks are very much larger boats than you. As a crusier you are already shy on displacement so you need to choose very carefully what and how much stuff you carry. Every pound in your case is a serious issue. Even on a 40 ft boat it's hard.

The primary rule is the boat has to carry all the crew and all the crap they bring and be safe. It would be nice if you could carry everything you need. You'll need to deal with those limitations in many ways.

You don't need an overload boat. It could be quite deadly in a blow. You won't have time to throw stuff overboard like they do in the movies.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 01:49   #11

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Weight in the bow is already a concern with an 18 pound anchor and 150' of 1/4 chain that the boat is not designed to carry.

OK, I agree, not in the bow. Aft bunk would be better.

Interesting problem in a Light displacement 26' coastal cruiser wanting to do the Bahamas for months. Fresh water is only 3 days away or less if weather permits. So the hard question would be - How much does one really need for 2 people and washing cloths?

As much as one can carry? Well not really, how about 1 gal per day per person for food and drink and another 4 gals to wash cloths. 6 gal per day? 48 gal would be 8 days worth. Would that be unreal crusing the Bahamas out islands? To much, to little?
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 03:18   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Maggie & I used about 2 - 3 gallons a day for the galley, drinking & bathing*. Clothes washing was reserved for those times fresh water was readily available (as you indicate, about weekly in the Bahamas).

*Maggie washed her long hair daily.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 05:31   #13
cruiser

My wife and I also use approx 4.5 gals combined (not per person) per day for everything - drinking, dishes, etc... It just becomes a game as to how efficient you can be.

I have a suggestion. If you can live on the boat for a week or two, maybe you can judge your water consumption prior to installing more capacity. If you need more, you can install more capacity. If you end up only needing what you can already carry, you just saved a few bucks to spend on that Bahamas entry fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
Weight in the bow is already a concern with an 18 pound anchor and 150' of 1/4 chain that the boat is not designed to carry.

OK, I agree, not in the bow. Aft bunk would be better.

Interesting problem in a Light displacement 26' coastal cruiser wanting to do the Bahamas for months. Fresh water is only 3 days away or less if weather permits. So the hard question would be - How much does one really need for 2 people and washing cloths?

As much as one can carry? Well not really, how about 1 gal per day per person for food and drink and another 4 gals to wash cloths. 6 gal per day? 48 gal would be 8 days worth. Would that be unreal crusing the Bahamas out islands? To much, to little?
Old 13-12-2006, 06:22   #14

Boat: Westsail 32
Have you considered a number of jerry cans? You will be able to place them wherever - could even play around to see if the boat handles differently with the weight in different locations. At anchor or in a slip tuck them wherever out of the way - when sailing move them to the center, etc.

Other advantages:

-A collection of plastic cans is probably cheaper than a built in tank.
-Easier to keep clean - use jugs for drinking, main tank for other stuff.
-Helpful for refilling water via dinghy.
-Leave a jug in the sun for a few hours and you can have a warm shower.
-Hang a jug in the ocean to cool it off.
-If your pressure system/hand pump breaks you can leave a jug on deck and get tolerable 'pressure' with a hose run below.
-No need to plumb lines for new tank.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 06:31   #15
cruiser

Now *that* is thinking! Great idea, Amfivena!