Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 15:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Waste tank smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Heh... willing to believe it... but gotta admit, when members of our owners club and other folks on various for a describe head odor problems, it's often with statements like:

- I always use this wonderful blue stuff...
- What? I have a vent filter? Where?
- Oh, no, I've never, ever overflowed my holding tank up into the vent filter line, no Sirree, Bob!
- We flush with sea water...
- Never though to check to see whether fittings* are tight before... [*on the tank, on the vent hoses, on the bowl, etc etc etc]

And even then, the fix often turns out to be cleaning stagnant water out of bilges, AC condensate pans, shower sumps, and sink P-traps...
These are usually about boats less than 30-35 years old or so, of course.
-Chris
I get calls all the time from people who've replaced their entire sanitation system--toilet, ALL the hoses, tank--trying unsuccessfully to get rid of what they thought was "head" odor, when all they really needed to do was clean their bilges and sumps.

Which is why there's a whole section in my book titled "Boat Odors aren't ALL In Your HEAD!" Trapped water below the sole is the hardest source to find...but, to quote Sherlock Holmes, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 15:46   #17

Boat: Catalina 380

I love Peggie's response; it really applied to our boat b/c it had been partially sunk when we bought it, so there was water in all kinds of hidden places.

But the main reason I'm replying is to congratulate you on your 380; we have a 2002 380 and we enjoy sailing it on the NC coast. You'll enjoy it!
KNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:14   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I get calls all the time from people who've replaced their entire sanitation system--toilet, ALL the hoses, tank--trying unsuccessfully to get rid of what they thought was "head" odor, when all they really needed to do was clean their bilges and sumps.

Which is why there's a whole section in my book titled "Boat Odors aren't ALL In Your HEAD!" Trapped water below the sole is the hardest source to find...but, to quote Sherlock Holmes, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

I think I was mostly remembering what you told me once sometime back in the mid-'90's when you stayed with us during the boat show (CompuServe days).

-Chris'
Old 12-08-2015, 07:26   #19

Boat: Newport 28 II

Convert to fresh water flush
Salt water grows bacteria in tbe wast makes for a bad smell
Flush tank many times then plumb to fresh water with a check valve.
Your problem will go away
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:01   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I recently traced an odor problem to a VERY small drip from my seawater strainer. The drip was so small that it didn't result in any standing water. But what it did result in was nasty crap living under the hose that was below the drip. Or course this drip was 1 foot from the holding so I first chased and spent money of fixing that "problem"

Shortly after that the forward head hoses went bad. I don't know what others experience with this is, but on my boat this was an eye burning you can barely breath event that was NOTHING like a musty moldy smell at all.

So before buying $600 in hoses (what it cost me to do both heads with the good hose) and hours and hours of work, look for wet places/spots in your boat.
Old 12-08-2015, 13:27   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Convert to fresh water flush
Salt water grows bacteria in tbe wast makes for a bad smell
Flush tank many times then plumb to fresh water with a check valve.
Your problem will go away
Not if the toilet or tank isn't the source.
Old 12-08-2015, 13:31   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I think I was mostly remembering what you told me once sometime back in the mid-'90's when you stayed with us during the boat show (CompuServe days). -Chris'
Oh my goodness...those were the days, my friend...and we were all a LOT younger then!
Old 13-08-2015, 05:07   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Oh my goodness...those were the days, my friend...and we were all a LOT younger then!

Thought that'd raise a laugh!

-Chris