Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 17:01   #91

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Washing machines, graywater, energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
We are all different, what a surprise my boat is my home, the sails enable me to move my home, in no way am I a racer, bring on teleportation I say!!

I like my comforts and conveniences as I travel around the world, life for me is better with such things like watermakers and washing machines. I dont have a washing machine at the moment, it broke, when I get to Mexico I'm fitting a little daewoo, I dont need more, it's very funky and will fit nicely up the front where the crazy big one used to be. I live in warm climates generally dont wear much in the way of clothing , therefore a little one is fine. Once of the grid laundromats are rare.
I think my concerns, other than how tiny most of these are, is having to run the generator all the time (dry cycle) and the added weight.

I've been heading toward more and more weight lately and that's awful for a performance boat.

The compromises can be tough. Of course, like you, I want a house on the water that goes places. But I also want to go kind of fast. Can't have both so it's a struggle.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 17:11   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Washing machines, graywater, energy

You don’t have to run a generator to use my washing machine, I measured it’s consumption years ago with a Watts up meter, and it was less than I would have thought.
Why would you want the machine to dry the clothes, unless it’s raining? Even below freezing clothes will dry, or so I’ve been told.
However it does use a lot of water, and I believe there is a correlation with water usage and cleanliness and especially effective rinsing, and it’s the water used that has me running a generator.

Now for a lightweight performance boat, first I’d guess the machine weighs 43 lbs. I’d assume you would want a watermaker so your not carrying a bunch of water at 8.34 lbs per gl.
I’d also assume Solar is well heavy and windage so you forgo that too.
But a Honda 2200 weighs 47 lbs and has no windage.

So it would seem to me that the way to stay light and fast is a watermaker and a Honda?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 17:11   #93

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Pardon me for being direct but this is faulty logic. [...] Choosing to install a washer, dryer, dishwasher will result in compromises elsewhere in the boat. [...] But the idea that the washer/dryer space is offset by savings in clothes storage space is weird. [...] So, actually, the clothes locker space and washer dryer space both exist at all times. [...] And none of this addresses the added maintenance issues of the electrical, plumbing, water usage, grey water disposal of having a washing machine on board. [...] but if sailing is your passion, then it does not make as much sense.
I agree with you that statements like "it makes sense for everyone" are difficult to defend. However, we can make such statements on cruisers forum and get away with it . Seriously, though, one can install a washing machine in any size boat. Here is a picture of my fully automatic LG Sidekick installed in the port settee on a Hunter 31. I went through many ideas before setting on this one. It is invisible, light and the space can be reused as in, you can store your dirty clothes there until laundry time. The ability to wash at will, wet clothes, slightly soiled clothes or whatever is a major convenience.

Before installing the washing machine I did keep more clothes on the boat, more bedding, more towels, more of everything. I had a separate place for soiled clothes. So, there is definitely a benefit to having a washing machine. These appliances are very reliable and you can use them for years without any maintenance. The plumbing was just cutting two hoses and installing quick connects. I have to admit that you need to have the supporting setup which includes a water heater, diesel (or electric) heat for drying in the head, and an inverter. However, most cruisers have this already.

Now, many people have the perception that it is too hard to install (same with water makers) but this forum is all about sharing ideas and solutions.

SV Pizzazz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG-2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	205224   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG-3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	205225  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LG-1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	205226   Click image for larger version

Name:	LG-4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	205227  

Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 17:26   #94

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You don’t have to run a generator to use my washing machine, I measured it’s consumption years ago with a Watts up meter, and it was less than I would have thought.
Why would you want the machine to dry the clothes, unless it’s raining? Even below freezing clothes will dry, or so I’ve been told.
However it does use a lot of water, and I believe there is a correlation with water usage and cleanliness and especially effective rinsing, and it’s the water used that has me running a generator.

Now for a lightweight performance boat, first I’d guess the machine weighs 43 lbs. I’d assume you would want a watermaker so your not carrying a bunch of water at 8.34 lbs per gl.
I’d also assume Solar is well heavy and windage so you forgo that too.
But a Honda 2200 weighs 47 lbs and has no windage.

So it would seem to me that the way to stay light and fast is a watermaker and a Honda?

Hmmm. I was under the impression you needed to run the generator. Was looking at the combo wash/dry machines. Hanging the clothes out is a bit of a chore.

But yes, I agree completely with you about the light weight nature of small, portable generators and watermakers. I have both already. Watermaker isn't installed yet. But 50 gallons of water and the watermaker keeps things nice and light.

Solar, I do like for convenience. In addition to the generator. Most loads run solar/battery but air conditioning, heating run generator. I am a couple KW up from a Honda EU, but do have a Honda. I have a lot of cubic feet to cool/hear so I need the extra power.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 17:40   #95
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Required implies, for what purpose?

A boat **is** required, to go sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
A boat isnt required, but we have them, so where exactly do you draw that line John?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 18:03   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We learned when I was stationed in Texas that line drying clothes was much faster than the drier and kinder on the clothes and I believe the UV also tends to sterilize them, they often aren’t as soft, but why drier clothes are soft is they have been beaten soft, look at all the lint that you get in a drier, that sort of shows how much a drier wears clothes.
Now in a house we use a drier for the convenience
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 18:17   #97

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

I've skipped a few pages of this thread, so apologies if I'm repeating anything.

We have a Daewoo mini and would recommend it. However, our water-making capacity is rather modest so it takes more than one hour to make the water for one small washing load. Our feeling is that we could reduce the number of rinse cycles without suffering from soapy clothes, but the machine programming doesn't include this option, so you need to stop the wash manually mid-cycle and then programme a spin, which is inconvenient to say the least.

As for dishwashers, I can't imagine using one, even if we had space. The reason is also water-related. Our washing-up involves starting with seawater and a final rinse with fresh water, and saving the rinse water for other cleaning. No apologies for a relatively frugal regime. In another thread, it appeared that the majority use fresh water to flush the heads - which I found quite shocking!
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 18:17   #98

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Required implies, for what purpose?

A boat **is** required, to go sailing.
What size? wheres the "required " line? Hobie cat with tent?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 18:28   #99
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Whateva floats your boat man

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/04...976_grande.jpg
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 21:04   #100

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I agree with you that statements like "it makes sense for everyone" are difficult to defend. However, we can make such statements on cruisers forum and get away with it . Seriously, though, one can install a washing machine in any size boat. Here is a picture of my fully automatic LG Sidekick installed in the port settee on a Hunter 31. I went through many ideas before setting on this one. It is invisible, light and the space can be reused as in, you can store your dirty clothes there until laundry time. The ability to wash at will, wet clothes, slightly soiled clothes or whatever is a major convenience.

Before installing the washing machine I did keep more clothes on the boat, more bedding, more towels, more of everything. I had a separate place for soiled clothes. So, there is definitely a benefit to having a washing machine. These appliances are very reliable and you can use them for years without any maintenance. The plumbing was just cutting two hoses and installing quick connects. I have to admit that you need to have the supporting setup which includes a water heater, diesel (or electric) heat for drying in the head, and an inverter. However, most cruisers have this already.

Now, many people have the perception that it is too hard to install (same with water makers) but this forum is all about sharing ideas and solutions.

SV Pizzazz
Very Nice Installation!
Old 20-12-2019, 06:57   #101

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
To go back to the dishwasher for a moment, we have a single drawer Fisher & Paykel dishwasher and love it. Uses far less water (and hot water) than most people hand washing.

Throughout the day dishes can be just wiped off and put in the dishwasher instead of filling the sink. And the dishes get much hotter than you can stand hand washing.

Runs off the inverter just fine and is essentially silent. We typically run it as we go to bed.

The grey water issue is also no worse and probably better than pulling the stopper on a sink of sudsy water
Great info!

Tags
washing, water