Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2010, 10:48   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I have a friend that installed a wash down pump. He had been a live aboard in the past so was used to forgetting and leaving a lot of stuff powered up, and the wash down pump doesn't use any power when it's up to pressure so no big deal right. I came down to our dock early one morning and saw a nice arc of water in the air. He had left the hose connected, and the on deck temperatures had gotten low enough to freeze the water in the plastic fitting that goes into the deck fitting, and cracked it. When I got there in the morning it had thawed and it was pumping away.

Made me think, what if a hose failed on the pressure side under the deck? Unlimited water source. 7 gpm is about 50 lbs/min. My boat loading is 1000 lbs per inch, so every 20 minutes I'm an inch lower in the water. I think it will sink before the battery dies.

For me everything gets powered off when I leave my boat. I have a bilge alarm so I'd know pretty early about water in the boat while I'm on it.

John
My pump is wired into the windlass battery and braker with a separate fuse and an additional switch to shut it off for any number of reasons.
I also bought one of those Jabsco push & twist connectors for the deck fitting. It saves a lot of time and effort.

Old 18-12-2010, 10:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Not really a problem with my bucket, however.
Sorry, but this old back of mine doesn't like hauling up 40# buckets of water any more. Besides I have a battery just for the windlass and pump up forward. For me the bucket would have to be a back-up system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte
A Y-Valve connected to a length of hose coiled in the cabinet under the sink will allow us to use this pump to help de-water the boat, if necessary.
Another good idea!
Old 20-12-2010, 07:15   #18

Boat: Taswell 49
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was looking for comments on the pump and it sounds like the Par Max 7.0 is the way to go. Yes of course all the electrical concerns are valid. I am nearing the completion of a total rewire. Need to do some voltage drop calcs but im guessing on 2-4 guage wire run for this 60' round trip circuit, but i need to measure the run. Washdown and windlass are powered off the starting bank which is a 4D and has its own alternator and regulator so Im not worried about the impact of a discharged house bank, which is another 800ah and multiple charging sources.

We are on the Chesapeake now and I can tell you the bucket thing blows. There is waaay too much mud to deal with. I also like the other uses of a pump like this and would rather pay more and get a good one than save a few bucks and deal with inadequate water pressure and rebuilding crap.

I asked my Port Supply friends to price me just the pump as opposed to the kit, turns out the kit is cheaper than buying just the pump...
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 08:05   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I am not a big fan of any Par or Jabsco pumps. We typically look for about 5 to 5 GPH and it does fine and we have been using a wash down for years, and use it every time we anchor. Here is our latest installation on the new to us boat, http://tinyurl.com/ydbhgmx
Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:31   #20

Boat: Taswell 49
Okay so the Surflow Extreme Problaster is 5 GPM and looks like it could pull 14amps. That would only require 4 guage wire and maybe could even be okay with 6. Now you got me thinking... Hell of a lot cheaper pump too.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 16:51   #21

Use a par max 4 for our saltwater washdown pump as it is the same pump we use for our fresh water system. This way we have fewer spare parts to stock. Fresh water pump is on it's 2nd pressure regulator and salt water is still all original. Both pumps 10 yrs old. Wash down pump has a head of 10 ft to reach bow pulput and all chain rode is 1/2 inch. Works well, no regrets.
Old 20-12-2010, 17:19   #22

To my thinking, washdown pumps are all about pressure. I think that Shurflow is only 45 psi. If the par max 7 GMP (70 psi) is too pricey, I'd consider rigging a tandem pair of par max 4's (60 psi) that draw only 9 amps each.

I'd also consider the Johnson Pump 5.2 washdown (70 psi) at about $120. I don't have one but have replaced a shower sump and a secondary bilge pump with Johnsons and have been very impressed. Johnson is my new my new "go to" small pump maker.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 17:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Okay so the Surflow Extreme Problaster is 5 GPM and looks like it could pull 14amps. That would only require 4 guage wire and maybe could even be okay with 6. Now you got me thinking... Hell of a lot cheaper pump too.
If your only after the 5 gpm, here is a good price for a Jabsco http://www.starmarinedepot.com/searc...-0092&x=12&y=9
Old 21-12-2010, 05:51   #24

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
I don't think you will be disappointed with the Shurflow. We don't plan to use the wash down to fight fires so the 5 GPH has provided more than enough pressure to rinse the anchor and chain even with the most gooey, sticky black mud. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 00:02   #25

Boat: Lagoon 500
Re: Washdown Pump Reccomendation

hi on my Lagoon I need to buy a new skin fitting for the deck wash-down pump anybody know were I can buy 1 as I do not wont to adapt another fitting
regards Alan
Alan Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:27   #26

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Re: Washdown Pump Reccomendation

Regardless of brand of pump, if you are a cruising sailor, here's a great idea, I did on my boat. T off the salt water hose from the washdown pump, and run it to a fawcett in the galley, for washing dishes. Also run it to a separate showerhead. Nothing like a nice long shower, without draining the freshwater tank. Salt water shower, with a 1/4 or 1/2 gallon, freshwater rinse.
Saves a heck of a lot of water.
Having a salt water pump on the boat, also gives you a spare, in case your fresh water pump fails.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote