Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 23:55   #1

Boat: Cal 34 Mk. III
VSD Pump Installation

I have a Jabsco Sensor Max 17 installed, recently installed a solar setup and need to correct the setup on the pump, I believe. Jabsco says: "The VSD electronics require a battery installed in the DC power supply when using an AC to DC converter or battery charging system." That's both in the manual/install instructions and on their website. Beyond that, though, they don't have anything else to say. So, what kind of battery? Where in the circuit should it be installed? (from the panel there's the breaker, a fuse, then an emi filter). This is another battery in addition to my house bank, correct?
Flying Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 03:50   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: VSD Pump Installation

No, it is not another battery. It is simply the house and/or starting battery which any boat with a fresh water system has.

What Jabsco is saying is that if you are connected to a shore charger and you disconnect the battery and leave the shore power connected to the boat's DC system, you will fry the pump's electronics. Ask me how I know this to be so.

Turn off the breaker supplying power to the pump when installing and don't turn it back on until you know you have the house battery connected.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 05:27   #3

Boat: Cal 34 Mk. III
Re: VSD Pump Installation

Gotcha. No, I'm not stupid enough to try and use a shore charger to try and provide power directly to my panel. Like I said, I just installed solar on the boat, which is charging the house bank. I didn't even think that some would try to use a shore or other charger to power their panel directly, which I assume are the ones Jabsco felt a need to remind to have a battery connected to a battery charging system.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Flying Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation