Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 23:24   #1

VETUS WCS-24 V DC old vs new

So the starboard head was getting worse, eventually hardly pumping anything at all. Maybe time to read the manual regarding regular maintenance and care?

Anyway, I looked up the parts number and ordered a new one. Even if I could fix the old one, it's no harm to have a spare.

But it seems so different, the new one I got, I was wondering if it's just a new design? I am sure it performs the same dirty job, but before I mess it up I just wanted to make sure that it would fit somehow.

As I highlighted in the picture above, the type is the same on both new and old, but the lot number is different. Also, the new one has two separate type numbers - would this indicate it's (somehow?) backwards compatible?

Here are more pictures of new vs old. The new one is much smaller and lighter. We took apart the old one (oh my was it dirty, might solve the problem!). Looking inside, I cannot see how I can even use parts from the new one to fit inside the old one.

If these two units are really not compatible at all (which I suspect) - what is the logic behind Vetus and keeping the same part number and designation?

Vital question then would be:

a) Try to retrofit
b) Give it back

More pics:

DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 07:29   #2

Re: VETUS WCS-24 V DC old vs new

84 views, no comments?

Does anyone have a clue about what this could be about? Otherwise I will just have to give it back.
Old 19-02-2015, 09:05   #3

Got a hold of some very helpful staff in VETUS now. They say it should fit, just a new supplier for the same function.

I will report back here once I have it installed and working (hopefully), or the less fortunate outcome ...
Old 23-12-2015, 02:28   #4

A bit late, possibly, but I have now had this pump for a while.

We tend to use the old one for #2 and the new one for #1, as it seems a bit more whimpy - and not as good at churning the solid stuff.

I wish I could have the original pump instead.

We are using regular vinegar now, on a regular basis, to dissolve deposits inside the unit to make it last longer. It's great against limescale and whatever else is in that scale (!). Good to have it cleaned out now and then, and vinegar shouldn't be bad for parts nor environment.