Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 18:20   #1

Boat: Endeavour 40
Vented loop and Y-valve locations in head system

Which is the better option for a head system for a Raritan SeaEra QC Sea/Fresh system. Do I have the vented loop in the right location to protect against syphoning? Here’s a description of the Option 1 system: waste from electric toilet goes through hose to vented loop then down to Y-valve that diverts to either overboard discharge through hull or to holding tank. Waste hose comes in at top of holding tank. Waste exits holding tank via dip tube and goes to another Y-valve that diverts to either pump out or goes to macerator that feed to line that enters y-fitting (not Y-valve) attached to the discharge through hull. Option 2 system: waste from toilet goes to y-valve diverting to vented loop or holding tank. Waste from holding tank dip tube goes to Y-fitting (not valve) which diverts to pump out or into macerator. Waste from macerator enters upstream side of vented loop with Y or T-fitting and goes over loop and down to through hull discharge. Pros/Cons discussion welcome. I want the ability to discharge toilet directly overboard and to empty the holding tank overboard when out to sea.
MegM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 19:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Vented loop and Y-valve locations in head system

I'd go with Option 1 for several reasons....1. putting the vent loop in the toilet discharge line ahead of the y-valve keeps any runback from the tank from getting to the toilet as well as protecting the system from a sea water siphon. Be sure there's an air valve in the loop 'cuz without one, waste will squirt out the hole in the nipple at the top of it. I would have specified TWO discharge fittings--one directly to the pumpout, the other directly to the macerator because that eliminates the need for a y-valve in the tank discharge line. Putting all fittings in the top of the tank eliminates any standing waste in any line, so it's no problem to service the macerator if need be without a spill. You're welcome to contact me directly if you need one-on-one input.

And btw...I just noticed that this was your first post here...welcome aboard!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself."
--Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 04:43   #3

Thanks. I like the idea of two separate fittings on the tank, one for pump out hose and one leading to the macerator pump to send waste overboard via the discharge through hull.
Should I use a diaphragm pump instead of a macerator pump? The SeaEra QC toilet has a macerator in the base so waste is chopped prior to entering tank. I hear diaphragm pumps might need less maintenance and repairs than macerators. But is there a diaphragm pump made for waste?
Old 27-07-2017, 11:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

There are several diaphragm waste discharge pumps...the SeaLand T-Pump (aka "SaniPump") is the best one.

Have you already bought the SeaEra QC? If not, the Raritan Marine Elegance is the top rated macerating electric toilet and close to the same price if you know where to shop. Check it out on the Raritan site here:Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf and then check Hopkins-Carter's price Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance The former owner is an active member here who's username is HopCar. You might check their price for the SeaLand T-Pump too.

Also curious to know where you're getting the tank...hopefully directly from Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and has more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. They also sell direct for a good bit lower price than retailers who carry their tanks.

If you'd like a little one-on-one help in spec'ing out your plumbing, you're welcome to contact me directly.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 27-07-2017, 11:22   #5

Thanks. As a new CF user and novice on the site, how do I contact you directly? Yes, I am using Ronco Plastics for the tanks (read it in your book). I am waiting for them to call/email me with the dip tube stickup dimensions to make sure it'll fit. I am hoping they can put a 90 degree fitting as it comes out the tank.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

To contact any member directly, just click on their username at the left of the post field. That will bring up a bunch of choices that include Private Message or Email (I prefer email, which is what I used to contact you). Click on one of 'em, type your message and hit send.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Tags
head