Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2008, 13:22   #1

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
V-berth Head Design (please critique)

Here's my planned design for my new head. I'd like to hear what you guys think. It's larger than most, but it's going to be the only one on board. The head has a lavatory and toilet and the whole thing doubles as a shower with a bench at the V and the floor all draining into the centre.

Separate pressurized water tank that can be filled from on deck at marina or filled from the watermaker (but with a check valve keeping its water from mixing with the main drinking tank). A single hand spray for the shower. It's all vented with a hatch (existing) to the deck. I'll fabricate some sliding glass doors to seal it all off and keep the boat dry.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 13:48   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Just some thoughts. If you're going to have only one head the bow is the last place I'd put it. It will be useless in any kind of sea. This will be the most uncomfortable part of the boat. One of my heads is in the bow and we never use it at sea. Also your hot water heater vent will be underwater most of the time. And sliding glass doors aren't very practical on a sailboat. Also how are you going to run your hoses from the head to the holding tank. Ideally the tank and the head should be closer or at least have the head on the center line and the tank to one side. One other point, where is the propane tank for the hot water heater? Most tanks are aft so this will be a fairly long run for the propane line. I don't know the size of the water tank but water is heavy and you'll have your ground tackle up there. Water tanks are better off lower and amidships if possible. I hope you don't think this is too harsh but I've got a boat with the head up forward and know its limitations.
Old 15-06-2008, 14:26   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I tend to agree with Rick. Also the toilet seems close to the bulkhead. Make sure you leave enough arm room to wipe your ass.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 14:51   #4
cruiser

Water heater location is definitely a problem. I have a propane tankless heater. With that location, you'll have water pouring down the vent any time it's a bit rough out.

Personally, I don't like the propane heater, although that's a personal choice. I have found that it doesn't vent well when the windows are closed up (like if you have the A/C on down there) and tends to fill the boat with carbon monoxide. Of course, that's a personal choice, but the CO problems have been my experience when the boat is closed up.

Also, can you get at the anchor locker from the head? How does that work?

Lastly, I would suggest trying the boat out for a month (if you can) cruising to see what you want and don't want, as well as what works and doesn't work.

Thinks like the hot water heater seem great on paper and at the dock, but often you aren't really aware of what you'll need until you are out there.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 14:53   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

As a member of the Khazi forward club ......I will add to remember to leave enuf headroom so fellas do not have to stand 2 feet away or hunched over.

Comfort of course is a relative term with the head in the bows, perhaps more good for bowel movement than for reading the Sunday Papers - and given my more modest sea miles onboard Wayluya Seadog with this arrangement I will defer to others on the desirability of having a second toilet. Apart from a Bucket

On 58 foot seems to me that a second head would be feasible.

Whilst you are doing serious work / mods on the forecabin rather than glass doors maybe give some thought as to whether to / how to make the bow area a seperate watertight compartment in case of collision - these things are easier to design in rather than add later.....
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 17:45   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
What you should do is check out how the forward head is done in an Islander Freeport 36, that was designed by Robert Perry. We own one of these boats, and we've never had a problem with the head area. While checking out this design, take time to notice where the water heater, sump pump, water lines, holding tank, head, and chain locker are located, as these will be relevant to you design.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 22:48   #7

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I'll check into everything you guys mentioned.

The propane tanks will actually be located at the rear of the top deck and will be in enclosures that are accessed from the outside of the boat. I'm planning on having a larger main water tank and a decent watermaker for most boat water, so the tank up front won't be too huge, but large enough to support a single shower.

The drawing isn't exact of course, so there would be room to maneuver

I may look at placing a single head somewhere else in the boat. I'm not sure I'll need one but it couldn't hurt. Mainly, I'm putting the head up front because I really don't like v-berths for sleeping and nothing else really fits so well up there.

I'm surprised you guys don't like them. I'll have to ponder it a bit.

BTW Sully, is your propane heater not vented outside? I was planning on it being enclosed and drawing fresh air from outside and venting back out. I'll have to think of a way to overcome the waves though. The other option is a point-of-use electric unit, but I don't like the idea of having to use electricity. It just seems that generating heat is such a waste.

I'll be using a propane grill and propane stove/oven. So the fuel is already there. I haven't decided yet if I'll look at a propane generator or a diesel one.

Old 16-06-2008, 08:27   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Let's see.... a monohull on a port tack... zero gravity conditions sustained in short, heavy chop... I suppose you could brace your feet against the starboard hull side to prevent becoming airborne, but then there's the problem of the slosh. Maybe facing the toilet along the center line, and facing aft might be a consideration. Been there, done that, hence my positioning my own head as I did. As far as the bow as a bad location, think what it was like for the clippership guys who sat in a "real" head. At least, you are getting the most beneficial use and least, long-term, compromise for the available space. And lastly, seeing the green water sweep over the portlights outboard helps to reduce constipation, and minimize the time spent in contemplation in this sanctum santorum. Which reminds me, Here is a copy of the instructions, from Stanley Kubrick's "2001, A Space Odyssey", of the operation of the Zero Gravity Toilet 2001: Zero Gravity Toilet Instructions
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 09:16   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Let's see.... a monohull on a port tack... zero gravity conditions sustained in short, heavy chop... I suppose you could brace your feet against the starboard hull side to prevent becoming airborne, but then there's the problem of the slosh.
As I was reading through this I was thinking, "Oh, somebody has been through this before or has a really good imagination."

But this made me laugh out loud

Quote:
And lastly, seeing the green water sweep over the portlights outboard helps to reduce constipation, and minimize the time spent in contemplation in this sanctum santorum.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 13:00   #10

Does anyone out there have a V-berth head?

Old 17-06-2008, 13:03   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
yes but as I said earlier I don't use it at sea.
Old 17-06-2008, 13:12   #12

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
You can mount a head in the v-space under the berth, removing a panel and a cushion to access it. Here's a picture of my head, which has a drop panel allowing me to stand above the head to work the foredeck (pulling a spinnaker below, for example).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-9-2008 8-49-03 AM_0002-reduced.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	3908  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 13:40   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.ward View Post
"Only" a 30 foot boat (and this one is not mine - way too neat! - for some reason I don't have many photos of me khazi! )

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 14:21   #14

Boat: 44 footer
I'm contemplating this as well.

Though on my 28 footer, its only a move of 2 feet from the old location to the new. (One side of the main bulkhead, to the other...)

Here is a Triton with a similar v-berth layout as what you propose: 144ps4 (Last picture bottom of the page.)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 16:45   #15

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.ward View Post
Our Islander Freeport 36 was built that way.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote