Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 17:01   #1

USMC

Can anyone tell me where the drain is located, for the aft storage locker, Topside, where the propane bottle is located, on a 1982 Tayana 42, Center Cockpit. It gets water in it after storms, and I have to hand pump mine out. Thanks for any help.
USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:09   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: USMC

You should have titled you thread "Tayana 42 1982 Locker Drain". It would get a lot more hits.

BTW Welcome aboard.
Old 07-12-2013, 17:11   #3

If it doesn't have one, then an installation at the lowest point would be in order. And if it's a propane locker the lid should be air tight. You may need new seals. Then the only drain should be for gas, overboard.
Old 07-12-2013, 17:23   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If it doesn't have one, then an installation at the lowest point would be in order. And if it's a propane locker the lid should be air tight. You may need new seals. Then the only drain should be for gas, overboard.
Why should the lid be air tight by the way

Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 18:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Why should the lid be air tight by the way

Dave
Not pressurized air, but just to keep the water out.

Quote:
Propane Lockers
All connections between the propane tank, regulator, and solenoid valve need to be made in a vapor-tight compartment separated from the interior of the boat, or outside of the boat in a location where leaking gas will not drain to the interior of the boat. If your boat does not have a built-in propane locker that vents directly overboard, we offer ready-made propane lockers. A vent line, as shown in the diagrams from the lowest point of the locker, must drain overboard above the waterline. The tanks must be well secured so that they cannot tip over and leak or become damaged.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2013, 20:04   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
I have a Tayana 42 aft cockpit. On mine the propane locker is in the cockpit on the starboard side closest to the companionway, enclosing the entire width of the cockpit bench all the way out to the hull. It has two drains...one inboard and the other outboard in the floor of the locker. They each have a drain hose and they "T" into one through hull fitting above the waterline. They should drain whether on a port or starboard tack. I don't know the set up on the center cockpit model. Try Wilson Chang at the TaYang shipyard ...wilsonchang421@gmail.com...He has been very helpful and his English is okay.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, USMC.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:18   #8

Thanks for all of your replies and kindness. I will email Mr. Chang, but I hope I don't have to install a locker drain. The locker has two hatches, and has plenty of room besides the propane tank. My Tayana is a center cockpit. Thanks again. Semper Fi.
USMC is offline   Reply With Quote