Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 11:45   #1

Two Waste Outlets? Catalina 36, 1996

Hello,
I'm a new boat owner and have an issue that is confusing, I would really appreciate if someone could help. On the port side I have two outlets, both are labelled WASTE, and apparently I have a single tank. I went and pumped one out, because the indicator in the head was on. However after the pump out the light is still on?? I am trying to figure out if I do in fact have two waste outlets, if so why? Perhaps I have two waste tanks?? Any help would be great, thank-you and happy sailing!

Greg
Captain Jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Two Waste Outlets? Catalina 36, 1996

Welcome to the forum, Jaster. This does not sound like a standard 1996 Catalina 36 installation, so look to the Previous Owner (PO), to have fiddled with the plumbing. This is not uncommon on an older boat, particularly one where the original holding tank was so inadequate (12 gallons of useful space above the pump out drain!). It would be a blessing if you really had a second tank installed. Time to pull up all the cushions and open the cabinets to trace that second waste outlet back to the tank. The most common place to put them is in the bow (replacing the forward fresh water tank) and the forward settee in U-shaped saloons. This last spot was convenient as it was empty space, but you could only get a 10-gallon waste tank in there. In any case, make sure that the PO had it professionally installed, and it is adequately vented. Nothing worse than amateur-hour when it comes to storing $hit!.

For more useful information on your boat, I suggest you look into the excellent Catalina 36 International Association (https://www.catalina36.org/
There is more technical information and free help on there than you can read in a few days! Again, welcome to this site.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:54   #3

Are you referring to two pumpout deckplates labelled waste?? Pump out both. The site glass on the pump out should tell you if you're moving 'product'. Then look at to see whether the indicator is off.

There would be no point in plumbing two pump out deckplates for a single holding tank.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 14:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaster View Post
Hello,
I'm a new boat owner and have an issue that is confusing, I would really appreciate if someone could help. On the port side I have two outlets, both are labelled WASTE, and apparently I have a single tank. I went and pumped one out, because the indicator in the head was on. However after the pump out the light is still on?? I am trying to figure out if I do in fact have two waste outlets, if so why? Perhaps I have two waste tanks?? Any help would be great, thank-you and happy sailing! Greg
It's entirely possible that the tank level indicator light remains on because the sender has failed. If it's a Wema or a SeaLand Tankwatch, that's almost a certainty.

Some other possibilities:

Could be there are two tanks--one for toilet waste the other for gray water (galley, bath and shower water). There are only a very few inland lakes--notably Lake George NY and a couple in NH--where gray water holding is required...making this a possibility, but an unlikely one unless you're on one of 'em or the boat came from one of 'em.

How far apart are the deck fittings? Another long shot: a PO moved the tank to a different location in the boat...didn't want to have to fill and do the cosmetic work to close a hole in the deck, so he just installed another deck fitting.

I don't THINK a C-36 ever came with two heads, nor have I ever heard of any owner adding a second one, but it's possible. If they're far enough apart, two tanks would make sense.

So there's only one thing to do: start exploring every inch of your boat and its sanitation plumbing to find the answers.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 14:28   #5

Boat: Krogen 42

Make sure there is not a mislabeled cap. Do you have correct fittings for fuel and water?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-09-2016, 19:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=meridian28;2217456]Make sure there is not a mislabeled cap. Do you have correct fittings for fuel and water? [QUOTE]

Deck fitting labels are usually etched intothe flange on the fitting, not the cap. But that doesn't rule out a PO making do with what he had or could get in a hurry.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 03:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Greg.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

When you do dig into the waste tanks and trace your fittings, let us know what you find. BTW: did you try pumping at both deck fittings?

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:55   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

[QUOTE=peghall;2217660][QUOTE=meridian28;2217456]Make sure there is not a mislabeled cap. Do you have correct fittings for fuel and water?
Quote:

Deck fitting labels are usually etched intothe flange on the fitting, not the cap. But that doesn't rule out a PO making do with what he had or could get in a hurry.

Many Catalinas have collocated fuel and waste outlets. The fittings and caps are identical, except the caps (NOT the fitting) are labeled. Since it's not uncommon to pump out when taking fuel, it would be easy to flip the caps. I can also see somebody losing the fuel cap and obtaining a waste-labeled cap to replace it.

In any event, it's a Catalina, which makes it very easy to trace hoses. Get dirty, get a screwdriver, and start removing furniture and the trace is simple.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:35   #10

Boat: Union cutter 33

caps usually have chains on them so they cannot be taken completely off so u can't mix them up
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:46   #11

Boat: Catalina 387

What they all said. I doubt you have 2 tanks on a C-36. Just get in there and follow the hoses, one of them may go to the diesel tank.

And as Peggie says, the sensor is likely broken.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
caps usually have chains on them so they cannot be taken completely off so u can't mix them up
Water and Fuel caps can have retainer cables. Pump-out deck don't because you can't screw on quick connect fittings or get a good seal with a universal pumpout.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 13:01   #13

I suggest you get to know your boat. Follow every hose to the deck fitting and understand what's on both ends. Basic seamanship.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 13:05   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

This is a good start. Know Your Boat.

Know Your Boat : The Guide to Everything That Makes Your Boat Work https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071361340..._xEU4xbHDERN87

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 17:18   #15

Boat: Union cutter 33

i just checked a 1994 c 36 down from me pumpout is in the middle of boat on portside fuel cap is even with the helem port side..same as my 34catalina.
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36