Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2010, 04:28   #46

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bit for cooking? I can spare that much space for a cleaner fuel. I'm one of those rude colonial boors who doesn't bake fresh for elevenses OR high tea, and sometimes doesn't even make hot lunch!
Talk about rude? We used to cook hotdogs on the exhaust manifold of my friends dive boat between dive sites... Diesel dogs we called them! Seriously though, if diesel stoves are that great, why not have one at home too? Oh, and I'll be right over to see your diesel BBQ too!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 11:49   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"We used to cook hotdogs on the exhaust manifold"
Ages ago..possibly in the 1960's...I think it was Popular Mechanics that actually ran an article on how to cook meals on your exhaust manifold during cross-country car trips. Including properly sealing the foil AND approximate cooking times.
Everything old is new again?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 12:27   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... Ages ago..possibly in the 1960's...I think it was Popular Mechanics that actually ran an article on how to cook meals on your exhaust manifold during cross-country car trips. Including properly sealing the foil AND approximate cooking times.
Everything old is new again?
Popular Mechanics - Google Books

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 13:11   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I meant this one, Gord. Manifold, not tailpipe.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 15:25   #50

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoder View Post
I decided to just skip the solenoid altogether on my installation. I shut the gas off at the tank after using it. Sometimes I burn off the gas in the line, sometimes I don't. I think that we've been programmed to be WAY too paranoid about propane (along with a whole bunch of other stuff). It'd be interested to find out just how much propane is needed to create an explosive atmosphere inside a boat.

-Steve
Prior owner took the solenoids out because the VHF mic would turn them off and he could never figure how the interference came about. (Makes me ask the question of whether a radio could interfere in such a way that turns the solenoid ON! I suspect the answer is 'of course not' just as in the case of the radio cannot, of course, turn the solenoid off either.)

Anyhow, we turn off the lines at the tank with red surveyor's tap led in or out of the tank well depending on whether the value is open or shut. The tape gives me a visual of status.

I usually burn off the gas in the lines on the theory that, although the lines don't contain much gas, if there is slow leak the cumulative effect from many cooking cycles could blow up the boat.
Old 30-04-2010, 15:33   #51

Boat: 36' custom steel
BTY, I had one of those little fuel gauges just downstream of the value for each tank. They eventually leaked, so I took them out too. Now the system is real simple. Tank, valve, lines and burners.
Old 30-04-2010, 15:41   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
I meant this one, Gord. Manifold, not tailpipe.
Excellent!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 17:11   #53

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Not only did that Popular Mechanics mag have great manifold recipes, I now know the latest crazy in household pets is the gerbil! According to the article, they are selling very well for $6 - $7 even though you can buy a hampster for $1. Will wonders never cease?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote