Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Troubleshooting Engine Waste Heat Calorifier Loop

My 50 liter hot water tank has, theoretically three sources of heat:

1. An electric immersion element running on 230v shorepower or generator
2. A loop to the Eberspaecher central heating system
3. A loop from the propulsion engine's fresh water cooling circuit.

I like heating with the immersion element because the water goes up to near boiling temperature and lasts much longer, since it is diluted before use.

But now that I am off shore power and on a midriver pontoon, I will have less opportunity to make a tank of nearly boiling water.

My hot water doesn't heat up from the main engine's cooling circuit. What could be the problem? Can anyone suggest a list of troubleshooting items?

Only thing I could think of was:

1. Airlock in the pipes -- bleed.

2. Faulty valve -- replace.

3. Faulty design -- hoses too long for the engine fresh water pump to provide enough flow. Install electric pump.

Anything else to check? The engine is a Yanmar 4JH3HTE. The calorifier is around the same level as the engine, about 4 or 5 meters away.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Troubleshooting Engine Waste Heat Calorifier Loop

And while I'm at it, maybe install a fan coil unit into the loop, to get some cabin heat out of the engine waste heat? Or will that cool the engine down too much, do you think?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The usual cause is an airlock. Feel the hoses where the water goes in and out of the engine block. If the outlet hose isn't getting warm, take off the top hose and pour water into it, then try again.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Dockhead:

Last question first. The coolant to the calorifier is controlled by the engine's thermostat so there is no risk of cooling it down too much.

If you have never really used the engine coolant circuit then it may be an installation problem, a stuck check valve or an air lock. Break the return connection for a few seconds and see what kind of flow you get with the engine warmed up so its thermostat is open. That may blow out the air lock as well.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 14:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, guys! I will give that a shot before trying more radical measures like installing a circulation pump.

Tags
calorifier, engine